Bikes!!!! (MTB, Road, etc... just no motors)

I'm biased. Definitely. I prefer high BB, single pivot, cantilever beam suspension. But you will hate it.

Because I had nothing but bad service and horrible advice from multiple stores. Unwillingness to honor warranty and shady business practices, also poor quality on their mid grade stuff.

My favorite bike was the Cannondale Trail SL2 that I had. I was just as fast on the trails with that thing as a $5000 carbon bike. One was used and cost $600 + some nice wheels/hubs.

Reactions: Nix
Trek had a multilink suspension design that had an outboard chain line for years. The bike basically wanted to pitch the chain off the outer chainring every chance it got. They also had a modified single pivot design they deemed a 4 bar link, hence faux-bar link moniker. The idea was good. The execution was hell. I don't blame you for not liking their bike. The Session was an awesome bike though. Again we are talking common vs Enzo level bikes in comparison. The early Fuel series was a shoddy single pivot/ABP split link design they tried to patch instead of fixing multiple times.

The real-long explanation:

Another implementation of the single pivot design attaches the swingarm to the shock via additional linkages, typically creating a 4-bar linkage that in actuating ("driving") the shock to create a more progressive leverage ratio between wheel travel and shock absorber travel. This designs is referred to as linkage driven single pivot, colloquially called faux-bar. It employs a four-bar linkage but the rear axle is held in a swingarm and still describes a circular axle path. The four-bar linkage serves only to actuate the shock and has no role in governing the axle path. Manufacturers of the linkage driven single pivot often use the word "four-bar" in their marketing campaigns.

If you want to know what works and what doesn't just ask. I've ridden it all from 90-2010. Nothings new. hahahaha, seriously.

I can ride my old 99' Mountain Cycle San Andreas faster than most guys can ram their new $7k super, virtual, multi, posi, negative, dead space, inter-linked, floated, and realized suspension shitter into the back of their Porsche after I beat them up and down on a ride.

It's like Jason in his beater rides smoking everyone at the Dragon. However, I can help you find a bike that makes riding fun and doesn't cost you a ton.

(@bootyluvr -Swing by sometime and you can ride allllll the bikes and really get an idea. I know it's a long ways. But if you might be in the area ever, I have lots of bikes to test and try.)

Also, if you give a **** about ghost shifting, chain line growth, suspension activated braking, or brake actuated suspension travel, then: A single pivot based design is not for you.

If you want a bike that rails turns, has super severe and full terrain feedback: aka - you feel the ground under your wheel, and impeccable jump/air manners : get a single pivot.

If you want a "nice bike" : find something else.

I love single pivots. Hard, demanding, fast when used right, and embarrass the F outta douches with high dollar visa cards. It's black metal in a bike.

( I kiled him on the climb and then the last 12 mile flat sprint, now what do I do with this stupid single speed?)

ricblackmetal2.jpg

I miss riding my bike, I want to get back out there but I'm not sure if my elbow can hold up after breaking it.

What's everyone run for a drivetrain and components? I'm thinking of maybe going to a 1x11 over the winter. I do love the ridiculous low climbing gear on my setup now though. There is times where it has come in handy on those steep long climbs. Wondering if I'd miss it.
Also trying to figure out what stuff people are running.

Now I have x9 type2 rear, x7 front, x7 shifters. 2x10 setup.
Thoughts?

If my bike comes with a nice rear mech I use it until it breaks. Then I run cheap rear derailleurs. Like $50 ones. I usually end up wrecking them before they wear out and I find that new, they shift good enough for me.

My current bike is a 2x9 with a bash ring. Sram X.0 shifters and R der with XT cranks and F der. Works pretty darn good but I never felt that an x7 or x9 weren't good enough. I had thought about 1x setups but eh, I usually don't swap stuff around too much.

If you do decide to go 1x make sure to do your chain wrap calculation and get the correct cage length on the rear derailleur. If it isn't long enough shifting to the largest cog in the rear can break the chain or derailleur itself.

Wow! That is a sick transfer. Balls to the max to attempt that. A bounce off a board bolted to a tree into a backflip..... insane....

I'm no good at backflips. Regular downhill riding, eh, I can keep up....

giphy.gif

Hey guys. Recently the trans on my mountain bike has been slipping a lot and I've been looking into getting a new bike since the bike was neglected before i rode it and has a lot of rust. Was thinking about a road bike since I never go on trails but I might get another MTB and give trails a shot. I also have heard there are hybrid bikes. Do any of you have any suggestions for some good quality bikes that aren't too high priced?

Back