Blackstone Lab Oil Analysis

shimp

Here is the oil analysis results of my '12 EX Sedan R18 from Blackstone Labs. I am not affiliated with http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ in any manner, only a paying customer. The sample was factory fill, no oil added, no oil additives used. Sled dipstick was at full-mark at time of oil sample/change.

By10D.jpg

excellent stuff... thank you for posting! Was your mileage based off of 15% on the maintenance minder, or?

excellent stuff... thank you for posting! Was your mileage based off of 15% on the maintenance minder, or?

Yes it was...the mm was at 30% at the time of oil change. This was 1st oil change with the factory fill being drained

The MolyB was impressive!!! Honda factory fill, wonder what brand it actually is?

there was a honda press statement that there is a lot of moly in the grease/lubricants used during the assembly process. The link to the article is no longer functional...

I thank you for going this route, and for sharing the results with us, good explanations from Blackstone.........

Blackstone is easy and great to do business with. I decided to go the 'bulk' package, which is good for 5 samples

found some of the text:

August 2006 HSN article:

"At PDI, does the factory-fill engine oil look less like Texas Tea and more like Oklahoma Crude?Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with the engine. The engine oil looks that way because of molybdenum (that’s “moly” for short), a special lubricant applied by the factory to critical engine components during assembly. When the engine is test-run, that molybdenum mixes with the engine oil, turning it a dark metallic color often within the first 5 minutes of running. And just how dark that engine oil turns seems to vary between vehicle models, engine types, and engine assembly plants."

Thanx webby for excerpt/info...good to know Honda using this for many years

found some of the text:

August 2006 HSN article:

"At PDI, does the factory-fill engine oil look less like Texas Tea and more like Oklahoma Crude?Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with the engine. The engine oil looks that way because of molybdenum (that’s “moly” for short), a special lubricant applied by the factory to critical engine components during assembly. When the engine is test-run, that molybdenum mixes with the engine oil, turning it a dark metallic color often within the first 5 minutes of running. And just how dark that engine oil turns seems to vary between vehicle models, engine types, and engine assembly plants."
A history note on Mo-lyb-denim, it's mined in leadville, Colo. and the locals years back having a hard time pronouncing it would call it Molly-be-damned, and most ppl of Colorado today will still call it Molly-be-damned. FYI.... and it ain't cheap either..........

Here is the oil analysis results of my '12 EX Sedan R18 from Blackstone Labs. I am not affiliated with http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ in any manner, only a paying customer. The sample was factory fill, no oil added, no oil additives used. Sled dipstick was at full-mark at time of oil sample/change.

By10D.jpg
Hey, thanks for sharing this! You now have your baseline. The most important wear metals are iron and aluminum, which you should see in single digits after break-in. And if you don't see them in single digits, well.... get your foot off the floor!

To me, your total base number (TBN) at 2.4 is on the low side. Not dangerously low, no. You could have squeezed another month or two out of the oil, or like the guy said 1500 miles (safely stretching the 7500 to 9000 interval next time) without compromising wear. In fact, you might have done the engine a FAVOR, seriously, by leaving all that tasty moly in there. Ok, maybe it's not tasty, I can't really say. But I do know it's good for the engine. Moly offers the unique benefit of staying with an engine.

For those intrigued with moly, here's some background: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/ There's an oil made in Germany (sold here too) called "Liqui-Moly" and known for using larger concentrations of molybdenum. That said, it's my understanding that MoS concentrations over 200/ppm don't provide additional benefits. So don't expect to see 600ppm (as in the above UOA) even in a moly-enhanced oil. Of course, zinc is the more common anti-wear agent. You'll always see that.

Since we all love our engines, maybe it's time for that 'Everything About Changing Oil' thread... wadda think? (Wild cheers from the crowd) Ok, that settles it!

I'm not sure if a 'oil based' thread is warranted, as most people never have an analysis. Generally, the oil threads are criticism orientated, opinionated, argumentative, and no real proof to back up what they say.

I'm not sure if a 'oil based' thread is warranted, as most people never have an analysis. Generally, the oil threads are criticism orientated, opinionated, argumentative, and no real proof to back up what they say.
Thanks... I think you're right. Most seem to have their minds made up already in terms of synthetic vs. standard, drain intervals, all the seemingly important stuff. So often, then, hard facts -- when you agree on what a fact is -- just get in the way of hard heads. That said, if anybody wants to challenge conventional thinking with an approach that's as close to "real proof" as possible - here's one of the better articles around. Be sure to read the entire article; it's an eye opener.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/

As they say, the proof is in the pudding.

yes, good info in that ...as I'm new to this analysis thing, helps a bunch to understand=Thanx!

Back