bauer311

Supporting Member
VIP Member
Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So I went to start my car this afternoon after having already drove it to work today. When I tried to start the electrical is working but I'm getting warnings about checking the brake system and the brake pedal is really hard. Called Honda Roadside assistance, but they can't tow my car until tomorrow because the dealership is closed. Any ideas out there?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Try disconnecting the negative on the battery, wait a few minutes, hook it back up and let it idle a few minutes. Should probably still get it checked out but I wonder if a low or bad battery is the root cause.

EDIT: I know its late on a Sunday but if you can get it running again try and find an auto zone before they close and see if they can test your battery for you. More than one person on here has had a bad battery from Honda that died quickly.

I guess I forgot to mention I tried to reset the ecu before I called Honda, my bad nix. Thanks for the quick response though.

Reactions: Nix
3 or 4 people have had your exact description and they all had a dead/bad battery. Electronics worked...brake warning...dead battery.

I can't figure out why the battery would be dead, but thanks for the info. Why would that lock up the brakes though? Technology.....

Not sure why it does what it does, but a lot of people had bad batteries. A LOT. They even did recalls on a range of vins a few years back or so due to batteries. Some had 3+ replaced.

Ok, thanks for the info webby. Just frustrating having these problems with a new car. Guess it'll get fixed soon enough.

I had to have my battery replaced on my '14 and the car wasn't even 6 months old.
The battery wasn't holding a charge and would be dead in the morning after sitting in the garage overnight.

I've been having the same kind of situation. I was able to jump my car this morning so I'm letting it run to charge the battery. I did realize this morning that the rear bolt on the positive terminal was loose so I tightened that up. Thanks again everyone for the help, gonna get the battery checked today and make sure everything is good with that. Yall are the best. 9th civic!

Battery just needed charging. But again guys, thanks for the input.

I'd still take it to a place like autozone for them to test the battery itself. You may find yourself in the same position in a day or week from now

I did, that's what they told me, the CCA were good, just low charge.

I've been having the same kind of situation. I was able to jump my car this morning so I'm letting it run to charge the battery. I did realize this morning that the rear bolt on the positive terminal was loose so I tightened that up. Thanks again everyone for the help, gonna get the battery checked today and make sure everything is good with that. Yall are the best. 9th civic!

these Honda's have a very small battery, I use a battery tender quite often.

So I went to start my car this afternoon after having already drove it to work today. When I tried to start the electrical is working but I'm getting warnings about checking the brake system and the brake pedal is really hard. Called Honda Roadside assistance, but they can't tow my car until tomorrow because the dealership is closed. Any ideas out there?

I have now the same problem but it also says the check the airbags, abs and brake system does anyone knows what it is?

If you keep having this problem you could have a parasitic draw on the battery.

Back