Breaking in the engine

jas86

Is it true your not supposed to vtec untill a certain mileage? When I got my 06 si i think hit vtec leaving the dealership. lol

Doesn't hurt anything. I drove mine like I stole it during break in. I believe drive it the way you intend to for the life of the car. That way you dont suddenly introduce stress to the engine it hasn't been through before after the rings are already fully seated.

VTech wouldn't be the issue, as it just allows parts of the engine to work that aren't working at lower rpm's............
The question is, do you want to go into higher rpm's in general, before getting some miles on it.........
The old and new thoughts are, old, gradually increase rpm's as mileage increases, and the way to do that is to take it up the desired rpm and hold the rpm for 10 - 20 sec's ...... then let the rpm's come down "slowly", repeat. Do the same for any major clime in rpm, till you finally get to the red.
The new way is to put it near the red right off the show room floor.
Neither of these ways should be attempted until the engine has reached temp's that allow everything to work at normal temp's.

One of the main gold's is to evenly wear the cylinder walls, so as not to leave a edge where the rings reach the top of their rotation "under normal rpm's. Where as when the rpm's are running close to red-line, their ability to reach even further is accomplished(microscopically) though the stretching of the moving parts. There in lies the area where there can be a wall built. Which will take a lot of time/life before that happens. Which is why there's a dispute on how to do this.

Also if you have no plans to do "a lot" of red lining, it's not important to work on these methods, as doing just once and awhile is not going to wear the walls to any different shape at all.

So driving it as you are planning to drive it, is the best way, but how to 1st run it in for the 1st 1000k is a choice we all make for ourselves.

I was told to drive it hard for the first 150 miles so I did... I stayed in between 2nd and 4th gear all upwards of 4500-7500rpm and drove it like I stole it . I get great mileage and enough power through all ranges. It doesn't burn any oil either 10k miles now

Back