Brembo Brakes, Anyone Using Them?

Looks mostly, but.... what are you after? Looks or performance? A blank rotor offers more surface area and better braking than either of the other two options.

Stoptech has said that slotted rotors are really only good for maintaining even pad wear but most track guys who are actually pushing their equipment run blanks. So take that for what it's worth.

A good brembo drilled rotor has been engineered so that the drill holes are not into the veins of the rotor. Most cheap drilled rotors are a compromise of looks over function and safety. The porsches and high end supercars you see with drilled rotors are done for cooling and weight reduction. Again you are looking at a very very expensive rotor at that point. Also they say that its mostly for looks and their rotors ARE NOT DRILLED. THEY ARE CAST WITH THE HOLES IN THEM. The drilled holes are weak points. More holes/slots = less surface area and less braking ability. Car makers know people like the look so why not sell it on the hottest most expensive models right?

Generally between drilled and slotted you won't see any performance difference. There is this whole thing about venting the gasses created by the brake pads. Yeah, that used to happen back in the 50's and 60's but with modern brake pads its a non issue. If you are getting them for looks thats fine but just know that performance wise a blank rotor will be worlds better.

F1 cars dont use slotted/drilled rotors.

IN CONCLUSION:
Don't buy slotted or cross drilled rotors, blank are better, and stop better.

If you must get rotors with designs on them, get the slotted ones by a good company, and DON'T get blank rotors drilled with little holes all over them. IF you absolutely must have the rotors with holes cause you like em, get them from a company that casts the rotors like that.

(all said and done I am running EBC slotted rotors for looks. I would never run a drilled rotor for fear of cracking and failure of such a critical part.)

Last edited:
If you're just getting rotors, get them in the correct size and you shouldn't have any issues. AP was having trouble with his wheel clearing a huge upgraded I think 6 piston caliper.

^ that is correct... he was trying for 6 pistons

Where do you find those?

google....... ebay..... i dont know? any one of a thousand search engines online lol. They arent cheap. Technically you could use TL type S brembos that can be had from autozone for like 100 bucks each. but you need to drill out your caliper mount holes a 1/16 of an inch. or from 17mm to 19mm. i didnt want to do that, because you cant go back to stock brakes after you drill.

Whaaaaaat? Well I know what my next mod is then. Any issues with pedal feel or anything like that?

In order to get great pedal feel you would need to upgrade to the TL master cylinder.

I never got around to even feeling the pedal because i just test fitted them on there, and my wheels didnt clear. so i left the stock brakes on.

I'll get around to doing the brembo swap someday. its just not high on my to do list.

Also here is proof. Bolts right up. the S2000 rotors even line up with the factory rotor screws.

ajmz.jpg

I never got around to even feeling the pedal because i just test fitted them on there, and my wheels didnt clear. so i left the stock brakes on.
Do you think stock wheels would fit? If not, what size or offset would you need?

Do you think stock wheels would fit? If not, what size or offset would you need?

No way in hell stock wheels would fit. You'd need like a 25mm spacer. Maybe more

It's not so much offset as it is spoke design. But the most popular options are usually the under 9" wide rpf1. So like the 8-8.5" versions. Because the spokes bubble out instead of concave in.

I don't know for sure which wheels fit. Best bet is to go on 8th civic and see what other guys have done with brembo setups.

No way in hell stock wheels would fit. You'd need like a 25mm spacer. Maybe more

It's not so much offset as it is spoke design. But the most popular options are usually the under 9" wide rpf1. So like the 8-8.5" versions. Because the spokes bubble out instead of concave in.

I don't know for sure which wheels fit. Best bet is to go on 8th civic and see what other guys have done with brembo setups.
ok thanks
my plan was to go get big brakes before big power, because you know...you have to be able to stop lol

ok thanks
my plan was to go get big brakes before big power, because you know...you have to be able to stop lol

You'd be surprised what a good set of pads and rotors can do. The big brakes more or less just prevent brake fade.

After reading about some of the (theoretical) issues with doing this and remembering that I've actually looked into this before, I've reaffirmed that I'm going to wait for the Stoptech kit to hit the retailers before I do a brake upgrade.

Back