DIY Bumper Screen to Protect AC Condenser

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
Here is a DIY for adding a bumper screen without taking the bumper off. Obviously a lot easier to do this simple mod by taking the bumper off, but I wanted this done quickly and had no access to a garage. If you want to do this by taking off the bumper see this video:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S45O8Lu9ao4

So, bought some screen (see photo) from Home Depot in Quebec. This product is made in Canada so I don't know if you will find this specific one in the US. Ideally, it could have been a little thicker so it would "stand out" a bit more, but I am very happy with the look considering I did this more for the practical side of knowing that this will save many dings in the condenser over the years.

Apologies for crappy Ipod photos and my dirty biatch.

Materials: good pair of quality scissors, the screen, zip ties (I used small black ones and you can't see them at all on the Dyno blue paint), a small prod of some sort to help you move the screen about. The metal thing I used is some sort of bracket that is used to make shelves or hang tools from (?) and it was perfect for the job.

g1.sized.jpg

g2.sized.jpg

g3.sized.jpg

Cut your screen to size. The measurements I'm giving you are not perfect. I just put it in saw it was too large so trimmed and trimmed until it fit. These dimensions that will work for sedan bumper and will save you some time. You may want to trim more once you see how it fits.

g4.sized.jpg

g5.jpg

This material is flexible so just carefully slide it into position. This is the longest part of the mod. You will need to be patient and make sure everything is straight and lined up. Your little metal prod tool is essential for this step.

I made tight curves at the tips of the zip ties (8) beforehand which made for quick and easy threading. There are no ties on the sides (nothing to attach it to), the sides are tucked into the cracks. I took the car for a wash and was wondering if the sides would hold up to the power wash and they were okay. Still going to be careful when power washing because I don't want to have to tuck the sides back in.

g6.sized.jpg

g7.sized.jpg

Cut extra zip tie material with scissors as close as possible to prism part. Use your trusty prod tool to carefully nudge the prism part of the zip tie behind the bumper support.

g8.sized.jpg

All done! The job took just a little over an hour for me, but I work carefully and very slowly. With this DIY you should be able to do it in 30 minutes.

g9.sized.jpg

***This is not my car, but I thought I would add a photo to show you what it looks like if decide to do this by taking your bumper off.

g10.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Paul! Great DIY, I did this myself with aluminum gutter guard, and I put it behind the grill too, just for looks.
Cug4f.jpeg

I painted the zip-ties with touch up paint after taking this pic, now you can't even see them.

I'll go take one now :)
So that was your car with the bumper off in the pic I used! I had saved that pic onto my hard drive a while ago and couldn't remember whose car it was. I love the silver look of yours! Sharp!

So that was your car with the bumper off in the pic I used! I had saved that pic onto my hard drive a while ago and couldn't remember whose car it was. I love the silver look of yours! Sharp!
Nope! Lol but I remember that picture is on the DIY I followed at 9thgen.
And I would go take a picture now MrsJrotax101 but it's snowing crazily right now :/

I'm going to be adding fog lights in the spring so the bumper will be coming off. I think I might switch to aluminum. Yours looks so sweet. Is it attached anywhere on the sides or just to the vertical parts like mine? The aluminum is surely stronger, but this plastic is also doing the job and for those who don't want it to stand out, it is a quality material to use.

I will assume that if anyone chooses to use the aluminum, they would have to take your bumper off because the aluminum will scratch your paint and is probably not even flexible enough to fit through the openings.

Yea I had to take my bumper off, and no it's not attached at the sides, just the vertical points like yours. But I've had it on for a few months and it's still holding strong and still shiny.

Back