Cai and hydrolock

Hey guys, I recently purchased a skunk2 cai, and have been reading up on hydrolock. This being my first non pos car, I am petrified of damaging anything on it. I live in New Jersey, subject to rain, snow, sleet etc. That being said I haven't installed it yet, because I want to further my knowledge of this. Your 2 cents would help. And if I don't install the cai I'm looking to sell it. Thanks in advance for the advice guys.

don't drive through puddles that are as high as the intake. If you do water will go in, and it doesn't compress, but your rods will.

I live in NJ as well , but I have the PRL cai installed. The filter literally sits on the bottom plastic. I have had no problems in the 4 months that its been installed. I am scared of hydrolock as well so when it rains heavy I tape up the holes at the bottom to keep water out. Stay away from deep puddles and you should be good as I think the Skunk2 cai sits higher up .

AEM sells hydroshield as well. Not sure if it's only for their intake or if it's universal size.

I had a CAI on my old car in New York for two years and never had an issue. But I moved to Florida and hydrolocked it twice, needing to replace the motor twice. IMO, id go with an SRI just to avoid the potential $5,000 fix. In hindsight, it was definitely not worth it. Being that you're in New Jersey I dont know that you would experience anything like I have down in Florida, but better safe than sorry.

I had a CAI on my old car in New York for two years and never had an issue. But I moved to Florida and hydrolocked it twice, needing to replace the motor twice. IMO, id go with an SRI just to avoid the potential $5,000 fix. In hindsight, it was definitely not worth it. Being that you're in New Jersey I dont know that you would experience anything like I have down in Florida, but better safe than sorry.

The first time is not a fix, it is an opportunity for upgrading the internals!

The second time, well...

I've been driving around central Florida with the resonator delete that basically opens the stock intake into that section and haven't seen any problems with my filter getting wet yet. Been a few months so far but it does smell like a dead animal lmao! Not sure if moister flowing up to it has caused some mildew effect/smell. I've always been a SRI with a cold air feed fan like K&N but only a 3.5" will go on mine when i can afford a flashpro

I've been driving around central Florida with the resonator delete that basically opens the stock intake into that section and haven't seen any problems with my filter getting wet yet. Been a few months so far but it does smell like a dead animal lmao! Not sure if moister flowing up to it has caused some mildew effect/smell. I've always been a SRI with a cold air feed fan like K&N but only a 3.5" will go on mine when i can afford a flashpro
take a look at your cabin air filter in the glove box. -

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/honda-civic-cabin-air-filter-replacement.4793/

The smell has since gone from the one day it smelled horrible. Crazy part was i smelled it heavily when the radiator fans were on flowing air as if something was in the fan shroud or something. Never found anything anywhere. I should check my cabin filter anyways since it's been 5k miles now.

Back