Camshaft swap

Fbseis

Upstate NY
Body Style
FB6
Would anybody know of swapping a k24z7 exhaust cam w a k24a2 exhaust cam and gear?

Last edited:
Yea same here, found that drag cartel got drop ins for the k24 on their website. Just don't have drag cartel money

link to drag cartel cams that supposedly work? I've not seen anything

Soo long story short, vtec cams don't fit on the exhaust end period. Even with rockers to go with the cam itself due to there being no ports for lost motion springs (middle rocker) on the exhaust end.

did you actually try those drag cartel cams?

No, was piecing together a tsx vtec ex cam on the head and saw the difference. Mounts up fine, but no rocker support for the outter lobes. They rub against nonvtec rockers on the right side, and the lobes are to large to control the lost motion, especially without the motion assembly springs. Long story short the valves open/close too quick to combust for the motor to crank.

A few people have broken their vtec rocker on these engines completely stock already. Probably not a bad idea to look into upgrading everything if you're in there.

I can see that happening with the z7s, they didn't put any lost motion ports for the assembly springs on the exhaust end. Bought a spare head and bam there it was in plain sight.
If it was even remotely possible, I'd want to go with vtec killer w rockers on the exhaust cam and stage 3 or 4 vtec intake cam. Specs would be hard to follow for Frankenstein cams lol

Would like to know what type/brand of cams is reasonable for my 2012 si it's also my daily?
You'd have to have custom cams made. Companies that were supposedly "working on them" never released anything.

I don't follow. There are no cams that drop in available. If you don't have custom cams made..... you have no other option?

DC cams would not work with Z7 head due yo no Vtec on exhaust cam. these cams are strictly for other k24's with vtec on both intake and exhaust side. You guys really want cams for the z7 motor on the 9gen only option is doing a head swap with costs a few k'$ which for the price you can go BOOST.
Specs:

Only Cams on the market with vast gains that doesn't require valve train upgrde!

After years of high end race and DYNO testing DC has released a line of 8620 steel billet K-series camshafts that deliver the ultimate in high performance. Made from aerospace grade, 8620 steel billet material and CNC ground on state-of-the-art cam grinders, these DC cams deliver the utmost in rigidity at extended rpm range while reducing possible valve float. These are the best cams money can buy and are now available for all stages. The "K Series" is Honda's mass produced version of the roller rocker valve train assembly. Less friction, more rpm potential, faster action cam profiles...this engine has untapped potential.
SuperStreet article about Drop-In Camshafts «

ALL NEW 8620 Billet Material

Intake:
Low Speed Lobe: Duration 250° / (9.6 mm lift)
High Speed Lobe: Duration 295° / (12.7 mm lift)

Exhaust:
Low Speed Lobe: Duration 243° / (8.4 mm lift)
High Speed Lobe: Duration 288° / (12.00 mm lift)

Engine and Application
K-series Engines: k20a2, k24a2
Cars: 2001-2005 Acura RSX Type-R, 2002-2006 Acura RSX Type-S, 2004-2006 Acura TSX, 2006-2010 Honda Civic Si

So do they make aftermarket cams for the z7 yet? I see some on skunk 2 website- tuner series (which I'm looking more toward) and I think there was a pro series they both say they are for the 12-15 si... I'm new when it comes to k-series and some kid with a 9th gen told me that if you go with the skunk 2 cams you lose VTEC... what does he mean by this?

I think the only way to do it is custom built cams or swap a k20 head and drop cams in that with upgraded head components. Haven't really looked into this for a while though.

Back