car get broken into

paulga

my car got sabotaged ... driver side window got smashed, glass chips are scattered everywhere.
the car is always parked in front of apartment building. I drive it twice every three weeks. last time when it was good was 11/26. tonight when I approached it around 7:30pm, it was a big surprise to notice the mess. I called 911 but the police really cannot offer much help. Monday was snowing and Tuesday was rainy, and the seat is wet, so it was probably perpetrated before Monday or Tuesday, and should be during the night. But I didn't remember to hear loud car alert. The parking lot
has no lights and this place is kind of isolated from main streets.

I'm going to get a price quote from dealers tomorrow. can I get a quote from here first? driver side window has two separate pieces, only the large piece is broken. Is it possible to order part myself and bring to dealer for installation?

another concern is, with the window broken, rain, snow and anyone can get into it... where should I leave the car before I can get it fixed?

also, I really appreciate it if you could offer me suggestions on how to remove all those glass fragments, as shown in pictures. my hand already got cut by the chips deep in the grooves in the driver's seat.

ps. the front and rear armrests, sunvisors were turned open, gps support and wire, one seat cover were missing. but gps itself is not missing... I thought if it was done in quest for valuables, he/she did it in a hurry... the police told me they found my gps cover and wire in the park lawn, apparently deserted on purpose..

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sorry to see that happen to a fellow 9th. Things like this can never be prevented and will happen to one person or another. Anyways, for the glass, I would wet vacumn the seats to make sure they are all gone. Windows are not expensive but isnt cheap either. Gonna run about 200$ oem, heres the part number 73350-TS8-A01. I wouldnt park there in the future since they violators seem to know your car schedule. Good luck buddy.

Sorry to see this happen to anyone. Hopefully you can get fixed up quickly.

I agree that a vacuum along with something (like a stick) to use instead of your fingers to get the glass out.

Meanwhile, a piece of plastic duct taped over the window will at least keep the weather out until you get it repaired, or can put it somewhere else where it's protected.

Good luck. :sadwavey:

If you go through insurance it will probably cost you about $250 fir the deductible fee, but that would be something to check into because deductibles can be different amounts. If you go this route, the glass company would vaccume it out for you. Also, it would be done every quickly.

Good luck.

If you have a comprehensive coverage policy on your insurance you usually dont have to pay any deductable for acts of vandalism

There are smart thieves and dumb thieves, it sounds like you got one of the latter since they grabbed things of lower value and then dumped them.

be careful using duct tape to hold the plastic over the broken window, it will end up leaving residue on the paint that will be a pain to get off, i would try lots of masking tape first or see if you can tuck the plastic in the gasket instead

be careful using duct tape to hold the plastic over the broken window, it will end up leaving residue on the paint that will be a pain to get off, i would try lots of masking tape first or see if you can tuck the plastic in the gasket instead

:yeahthat:

Sorry to see that happen to a fellow 9th. Things like this can never be prevented and will happen to one person or another. Anyways, for the glass, I would wet vacumn the seats to make sure they are all gone. Windows are not expensive but isnt cheap either. Gonna run about 200$ oem, heres the part number 73350-TS8-A01. I wouldnt park there in the future since they violators seem to know your car schedule. Good luck buddy.

thanks for information. does wet vacuum means steam vacuum? where can I get that?

also I plan to move to another place but current lease ends next July. the lease contract is the only way I can terminate lease is to find someone to takeover my lease. I don't know if this broken into case serve as persuasive reason. the police suggests me to consult an attorney but I don't have time to handle these till December.

If you go through insurance it will probably cost you about $250 fir the deductible fee, but that would be something to check into because deductibles can be different amounts. If you go this route, the glass company would vaccume it out for you. Also, it would be done every quickly.

Good luck.

glass stores can replace the window? I thought they usually change glass in house doors and windows.

I agree that a vacuum along with something (like a stick) to use instead of your fingers to get the glass out.

Meanwhile, a piece of plastic duct taped over the window will at least keep the weather out until you get it repaired, or can put it somewhere else where it's protected.

so a painter's tape or masking tape is safe for car paint? I'll go to walmart to get plastic tarp to seal the window.

Painter's tape is safe, but will not stand up to any moisture, which is why I said duct tape.

I honestly don't know if the duct tape will damage paint, or just require special effort to remove the adhesive later on.

Maybe someone else can provide more guidance.

Sorry to hear the scum got to your car, it sounds like they were looking for drugs/guns/or cash since nothing was taken.
I had my Jeep broken into twice when living in a apartment in Denver. Glass in the door is a pain to get out, make sure it out of the runners that they slide in. If they didn't find anything they probably won't try yours again.
Never leave anything someone would want in sight of ppl looking into your car, is about all you can do.

glass stores can replace the window? I thought they usually change glass in house doors and windows.
Yes, but find a car glass specialty store. They fix cracked windshields etc. all the time. They would have your car fixed in a couple hours.

Rather than taping plastic on just get a large enough sheet to close the door on it - might be a pain when driving but it will keep the weather out.
Depending on where you live you'll risk being ticketed for driving with an obstructed view, unless you use clear see-through plastic.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the break in... I know first hand how that sucks. The winter before I got my 2012, my 1989 Accord was broken into, smashed out the passenger side window. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of glass on the seat, it was mostly between the seat and the side sill. Still, I scraped as many cubes off the seat with a piece of cardboard and duct taped up the window solid since I didn't have any plastic and it was late at night.

Put a heavy fleece jacket on the seat for the girlfriend to sit on and drove to the closest car wash that was 24 hrs. Vacuumed all I could out there and we drove 65 miles like that.

If you have a long enough extension cord, I would vacuum all you can before doing anything else. You may even have some cubes or chips in the heater vent... once you have it all cleaned up so you can start the car, reach in and turn the fan on high and then vent, it may blow it out if there is glass there.

Sorry to hear about the break in... I know first hand how that sucks. The winter before I got my 2012, my 1989 Accord was broken into, smashed out the passenger side window. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of glass on the seat, it was mostly between the seat and the side sill. Still, I scraped as many cubes off the seat with a piece of cardboard and duct taped up the window solid since I didn't have any plastic and it was late at night.

Put a heavy fleece jacket on the seat for the girlfriend to sit on and drove to the closest car wash that was 24 hrs. Vacuumed all I could out there and we drove 65 miles like that.

If you have a long enough extension cord, I would vacuum all you can before doing anything else. You may even have some cubes or chips in the heater vent... once you have it all cleaned up so you can start the car, reach in and turn the fan on high and then vent, it may blow it out if there is glass there.

chips in the grooves of seat are really a headache.

Yes, but find a car glass specialty store. They fix cracked windshields etc. all the time. They would have your car fixed in a couple hours.

I already called local glass, they told me they do auto glass and also gives me a labor quote of 125$.

thanks for information. does wet vacuum means steam vacuum? where can I get that?

also I plan to move to another place but current lease ends next July. the lease contract is the only way I can terminate lease is to find someone to takeover my lease. I don't know if this broken into case serve as persuasive reason. the police suggests me to consult an attorney but I don't have time to handle these till December.

Yea, not sure if you have any local steam cleaner services but you can get one at walmart plus it will help you remove a good amount of smell from the rain/snow. Hopefully it doesnt happen again. I would buy a black trash bag from walmart, cut it in half and wrap the door secure by duct tape. Duct tape can be removed by goo gone or any adhesive remover and it doesnt damage paint.

is this the right part for 4door sedan si?

73350-TR6-A40GLASS ASSY., L. FR. DOOR (GREEN)(PGW)

"left front door" is driver side door, right?

is this the right part for 4door sedan si?

73350-TR6-A40GLASS ASSY., L. FR. DOOR (GREEN)(PGW)

"left front door" is driver side door, right?

Sry buddy, I thought you had a coupe.

This is what I got for 2013 Civic SI Sedan.

Untitled.png

Sry buddy, I thought you had a coupe.

This is what I got for 2013 Civic SI Sedan.

View attachment 29037

thanks. i put an order from majestic honda which is in RI. they have price listed as 176$ and no tax. hopefully the glass will not break in shipping.
Do you also have service manual that includes door panel disassemble, like bentley manual for vw?

Back