carbon cleaning ??

bazam83

i recently stumbled upon a Ad for carbon cleaning that should be done for the engine every 20 000 kms
to improve fuel efficiency and restore engine performance
is this true >
if so why weren't they added to schedule of regular maintenance ??

Not needed. Some people use seafoam to break up carbon buildup after maybe 75-100k miles. There are videos on YouTube for seafoam on 8th gen civics with before/after pics of the pistons if you are curious.

i recently stumbled upon a Ad for carbon cleaning that should be done for the engine every 20 000 kms
to improve fuel efficiency and restore engine performance
is this true >
if so why weren't they added to schedule of regular maintenance ??
Carbon buildup is an issue on newer direct injection engines which none of the 9th gen civics are. What happens is since the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder the cleaning agents in it don't flow through the intake and across the valves letting the deposits build up over time.

Agreed with flighmaater. The direct injected engine have big time carbon issues.... seized piston rings... dirty valves.... ect. The 9th gen is not injecting fuel in the same manner. Nonetheless... I'd still run some sort of injector cleaner just to make sure your top end of the engine stays carbon free. I've used some BG products and the techeon Chevron injector cleaner...

For shiz and giggles, how often would you recommend getting the carbon cleaned out of a Direct Injection motor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I bought a gallon jug of Seafoam and pour 16oz (size of their smaller can) into the gas tank every oil change.

The free way to do carbon cleaning is to drive it like you stole it every so often. The high revs increases engine temps and combustion pressure and that helps keeps build up off the exhaust valves and piston tops. Like everyone else said, the way our cars inject fuel, fuel (with the detergent gas companies put in) gets sprayed through the intake manifold and it comes in contact with the intake valves. This helps to keep the intake valves clean

Back