Check Brake System, Check ABS System, Check VSA & Check Power Steering

Discussion in 'Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat' started by KendeR, Jul 4, 2017.

1. KendeR

KendeR Member

Hey All... Been lurking in the forums and have had this baffle me.

I have a 2012 Civic EX-L Navi and had it for almost a year. I keep regular maintenance on schedule.

On a road trip yesterday I all of a sudden as I was driving received the following message in this order on my dashboard and iMID :

Check Brake System
    Check ABS System
    Check VSA System
    And after a minute...
    Check Power Steering System.

Then, I power the car off, and drive off it's fine for a while and then, repeats.

The power steering abs and brakes were perfectly fine with no loss of power to the engine or anything strange it drives perfect even with the lights on.

I had the voltage checked on the alternator and the battery and they both are perfectly fine. So now I'm left a little baffled as to what the situation is because clearly it is an electrical short somewhere.

I've seen threats started about this but nothing ever really concrete about what the solution was.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. webby
    • Staff
    • 2017 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

Do you have any aftermarket headlights, intake etc?

3. KendeR

KendeR Member

Nothing. All stock everything.

4. webby
    • Staff
    • 2017 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

If you're stock getting those warnings and your battery is testing fine, you'll prob need to call Honda. I've seen a couple of people report Honda updated their ecu software when this came up and it was resolved.

ron v and KendeR like this.
  5. KendeR

KendeR Member

Awesome. I will have to give them a shout. Much appreciated. That might be the issue.

6. bauer311
    • Supporting Member

bauer311 Supporting Member

Vehicle Model:
    civic ex
    Body Style:
    coupe
    This happened with my 15 ex about 4 months after I got it. Took it to honda and it just needed am ecu update like @webby said. Haven't had the issue since. Also, I know it sounds crazy, but check your fuses. I was told it could also be from that. If one that controls those systems is blown or missing in the fuse box it will cause the same thing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

webby and KendeR like this.
  7. KendeR

KendeR Member

Thanks for confirming the ECU update. It's odd it would just malfunction. With the fuses, Good thinking. I will check those too!
    Your ideas are much appreciated.

8. KendeR

KendeR Member

I just called Honda and they told me it's likely a software update - though they want to charge diagnosis of 120$ first lol. Ah well. But your thoughts gang, seem to be spot on, and for that I thank you. Though it's not a firm diagnosis, I will update once I have it remedied for those like me who have this happen to them.

webby, ron v and bauer311 like this.
  9. KendeR

KendeR Member

In a surprising turn of events....vsa modulator. And that's after I called 3 different Honda service depots all saying it's likely an electrical fault.

And...price tag is $1500 including parts and labor

10. webby
    • Staff
    • 2017 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

They physically looked at your car and said the vsa modulator was faulty?

11. KendeR

KendeR Member

Yes indeed. That's what they told me at the dealership. They had it on diagnostic this morning and physically inspected. Called me and said that's the culprit.

12. webby
    • Staff
    • 2017 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

well that really sucks. I'm guessing it's not going to be covered by any type of warranty at this point?

13. bauer311
    • Supporting Member

bauer311 Supporting Member

Vehicle Model:
    civic ex
    Body Style:
    coupe
    Damn, $1500? Seems a lil steep

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

14. KendeR

KendeR Member

Negative. Straight up out of pocket :confused:

15. KendeR

KendeR Member

The part itself was 1250$ plus labour, inspection and tax. Good good. I feel like I need to sell a kidney.

Btw....kidney for sale.

16. webby
    • Staff
    • 2017 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

Ask for the bad part when you pick up the car. At least you know they didn't just update the ecu and screw you for $1500.

17. freggie

freggie Well-Known Member

Same thing happen to wifey's car and same module went out. IIRC it was around $700 for the part but it was covered under warranty at the time... few years back. Just curious how many miles does your car have? Wifeys car had around 80k

18. KendeR

KendeR Member

Mine was at 117km