Civic and GoPro

Srs15k24

SLC, UT
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
I'm sure someone else here has taken Gopro video from inside the 9th Si right? I've got a really bad drone with my videos and unsure if it's the mounting location, the case or what. The best way I can describe it would be similar to off-road truck tires, if that makes sense. You can hardly even hear the exhaust or engine itself. I have tried different mounts and case doors but doesn't change enough. Oh it's a Hero+LCD if that helps. I never had great audio with my 8th gen recordings but it was nowhere near this bad. I've seen suggestions on other forum regarding an external mic and wind filters but nothing specifically on drone or muddy quality. Anyone with first hand experience could chime in, that would be really helpful. What are you using and where? Thanks!

Where are you mountng you camera from. Imount mine from the sunroof inside the car with the skeleton back and do not have drone noise. I get wind noise though if the windows are down and im going more than 45-50 mph.

It's possible. Try moving the mounting position to another location and see if you still have the same problem.

I used my friends gear. Had an external mic hooked up to the inside of the hood and then also had the mic taped to the rear bumper by the exhaust. Sounded pretty good and not too much wind noise.

Any recommendations on a brand for the external mic? I don't mind paying for something that works well. Anyways, I'm going out for a drive tom and will try mounting in different locations; maybe even pick up a goose neck mount to further reduce vibrations. Also just noticed that the fish eye effect got pretty well edited out in the video, looks much better.

I'm sure someone else here has taken Gopro video from inside the 9th Si right? I've got a really bad drone with my videos and unsure if it's the mounting location, the case or what. The best way I can describe it would be similar to off-road truck tires, if that makes sense. You can hardly even hear the exhaust or engine itself. I have tried different mounts and case doors but doesn't change enough. Oh it's a Hero+LCD if that helps. I never had great audio with my 8th gen recordings but it was nowhere near this bad. I've seen suggestions on other forum regarding an external mic and wind filters but nothing specifically on drone or muddy quality. Anyone with first hand experience could chime in, that would be really helpful. What are you using and where? Thanks!

Any recommendations on a brand for the external mic? I don't mind paying for something that works well. Anyways, I'm going out for a drive tom and will try mounting in different locations; maybe even pick up a goose neck mount to further reduce vibrations. Also just noticed that the fish eye effect got pretty well edited out in the video, looks much better.

I wonder if there's a way to shut the GoPro mic "OFF" in the settings. Or maybe just cover it up somehow. But i'm going external 'cause i can't find a way around the wind noise.

By the way, i'm in the camp that says for a more realistic view, it's best to mount the camera outside. For me the best location is dead center on the engine hood about 6" from the front.

@Srs15k24 Here's a video sample with the GoPro on the engine hood -- don't forget to select 1080p. Don't know the driver..... but fun stuff starts around 8:00 mark.

View: https://youtu.be/sDrAJCI-T08

Complete High Def @1080p. Full Screen looks best.
Word is - "GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition"
P.S. Looks like a good shot of Jason's boat at the 5:30 mark @death_roll

Should all be good now.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, the lower the camera placement the faster it appears you're going.... which starts to look phony. I've seen some GoPros put as low as the license plate -- causing the vids to become so blindingly "fast" (haha) it's hard to watch. For me the front engine hood is working well in terms of realism.

For audio, i've now placed a mic inside the car for personal observations or the occasional "oh sh**". I suppose another mic could be used (via a splitter) in the engine bay or near the exhaust. By keeping a multi channel PDR (Tascam DR-40) in the car while wired to the GoPro, i'm able to manipulate the audio in each channel, depending on what i think of it. Yet in every case the main problem is controlling wind noise, no matter where the mic is.

'course... it doesn't help that The Dragonslayers who hang here are often pushing the heck out of the 55mph speed limit. Good thing is, if you're near red line the engine noise will overcome the wind noise (never a bad thing) as in the video above. (Given traffic and the 55mph limit there was no point in shifting to 4th anyway. Who would even consider shifting into a triple digit gear under those conditions!)

Below is a slow, solo run (primarily 4th but lugging it) with better clarity, highlighting Wolf Pen Gap road near Vogel Park. Sadly, my abrupt turn caused me to lose my partners in crime, who met up with me later in Helen. Beautiful country tho.. really looking forward to seeing GA again. Wolf Pen Gap (about 1/2 of which you'll see) is an absolute must.

Sorry about that turn guys... next time we're at the Copperhead Lodge first night is on me.
Here's part of what you missed. If quality is good -- and you promise not to turn me into law enforcement -- i'll post others.
@Nix
@Nomar06
@PainIs4ThaWeak
@webby

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhn1SWtpNsc

Last edited:
Back