Civic Manual Trans issues?

Who has Manual trans issues, who doesn't?

• YES

• NO

• Automatic to see votes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
Who has... Or does not have problems with their Manual transmission? No matter if it's clutch, or tranny.

2014 Si here with close to 20k miles and so far no problems. Sometimes I experience 2nd gear grind when downshifting from 3rd. I did noticed on facebook group that a lot of people have issues with their tranny in Si. Not sure if it's because they don't know how to drive manual or faulty gearbox.:shady:

2012 Si with 25k miles...no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
2013 Si w/ 40k miles. Only problem I have is getting locked out of 2nd gear or grinding going in to 2nd from 1st gear only under spirited driving/racing.

So that's 2 yeses ?

I'm not sure I understand..... I've been driving ST for over 50 years, and never have I had a car/mc that gave me any issues changing gears from any of the gears to the other.. With the exception of putting it in 1st after idling in neutral, and very few times for those.....

Last edited:
sometimes i get a slight rattling noise when taking off from first. but generally i get no problems with grinding or popouts. Clutch is still strong. 2013 civic si with 16Kmiles

2015 si (9500mi) i have notices that sometime going into second gear quicly will result in a minor grind, but if you take your time this will not happen, imo this is an manufature defect in the gear box, so i will be taking it in, seeing as i only have 9500mi and dont drive it hard at all, the second thing i noticed was in the morning on a cold start going from netural to fist causes the car to move slightly, as if the clutch is not fully releasing...
not happy :( anyone else having similar issues?

Sometimes I cant get my 5sp into 1st gear. It goes 2/3 of the way and its just 'blocked'. I dunno if its a bent cable or fork or something

I have to put it into 2nd real quick and try again. Usually solves it first try

Id say it happens 1 time in every 20 times i start from a complete stop

2015 si (9500mi) i have notices that sometime going into second gear quicly will result in a minor grind, but if you take your time this will not happen, imo this is an manufature defect in the gear box, so i will be taking it in, seeing as i only have 9500mi and dont drive it hard at all, the second thing i noticed was in the morning on a cold start going from netural to fist causes the car to move slightly, as if the clutch is not fully releasing...
not happy :( anyone else having similar issues?
15 si sedan about 8000 miles.... very similar issue. Also sometimes im blocked out of a gear... also sometimes hear a LOUD CLACK. Good thing I have the warranty! Stock FTW

Yea I'm taking it in soon, let me know what comes of your issues

Ill take it soon too I thought those things were normal but I guess not
"NORMAL"..... absolutely not.......... Just an example...... In the late 60's and early 70's I bought a brand new Triumph and put over 100k miles on it... without one glitch from the tranny or clutch.. And, I raced it about 6 times a year for over 3 years.......... Car cost me just under $ 2,000 , now we're paying over 20k for a car..... Shouldn't we see the same or better quality now?

I've had a drive line clunk since the 2nd day of ownership, not talking hard launches. Normal 1100-1500 rpm take offs in traffic do it. Have had a catch in all gears randomly since 50 miles and get a (stick poking in a box of rocks) feeling in all gears at different times. Spirited driving with a stock clutch, forget about trying not to grind. A new cmc plus CDV delete is needed to get the clutch to function properly and allow proper gear transitions. The CDV delete helped a good bit on it's own till I get a new cmc after warranty. Upon clutch release during higher rpm shifts now have a "spring chatter/rattle" that sounds like a grind but isn't. Waiting 2 sec after a shift will still do it. On take offs (easy ones) I get a rattle now along with the clunk (I think the clunk is the weak RMM). Could be a something just vibrating or actual clutch. There might be more but i can't think of any right now, I've learned to just live with it and now at 5300, it seems like the issues might be some what self fixing/breaking in or I'm just crazy. But regardless I'm not happy with the overall performance of the trans vs my expectations being a Honda.

Forgot to add that I get random gears 2-5 to wanna jump out of my hand when you depress the clutch to change gears like it wasn't fully engaged. From easy driving to spirited driving it happens. I thought I had finally broken my trans in the other day too since it started shifting real nice and then it starts popping out of gear. Probably doesn't help I get lazy when easy driving and grind gears from not wanting to move my hand lol

Back