Civic Manual Trans issues?

Who has Manual trans issues, who doesn't?

• YES

• NO

• Automatic to see votes

Results are only viewable after voting.
13' LX coupe -
100 km: 5th gear would pop out when above 70 km/h - went to the dealer and they said they flushed out the transmission and problem stopped.
33000 km: R gear would grind almost every single time when tried to put into it. 2nd would grind/pop out when it's a colder temperature - flushed out the transmission fluid again and now shifts are much smoother. Mechanic reported that my MTF was abnormally dark.

Changed my MTF at 9700 miles yesterday and its almost new feeling again. Did a dot 4 clutch/brake exchange and everything is feeling mint except the clunk I have. May have to suck it up and take it in one day.

Changed my MTF at 9700 miles yesterday and its almost new feeling again. Did a dot 4 clutch/brake exchange and everything is feeling mint except the clunk I have. May have to suck it up and take it in one day.
Im surprised dot4 makes such a difference. Alot of people say that

Dot 4 increases heat resistance bye almost 200 degrees Fahrenheit so when dot 3 becomes spongy dot 4 is still firm. It is surprising though. I'm amazed at how much a trans fluid change at 10k makes, I may do it every 5k with my oil but none the less, highly recommended for anyone who drives spirited on a daily basis. Cheap and simple maintenance

Quick update, its the throwout bearing in my case, dealer will be fixing it next weekend, i figured thats what it was.

Before I traded my Si it had the grinding noise when letting the clutch out in 1st gear. There is at least one other thread about this. It wasn't normal. I traded the car before I had Honda fix it.

i have that groan when letting the clutch out in first too. doesn't happen every time but more often when on an incline. havent decided if i want to bring it up with honda or just wait until I do a clutch upgrade. i have 100k warranty so i have plenty of time if it gets worse ill probably bring it in.

If you can replicate it and it's still covered under warranty then i'd say bring the car in if your just swapping out the clutch for another factory clutch. Free is free. If your looking to upgrade to a better/aftermarket clutch and can do it yourself then I'd just wait for that route. Is the clutch upgrade something seen to be done soon or over a year or so? Assume your boosting if your going for a clutch upgrade as the stock clutch is good to about 300hp.

replicating it is the hard part and i have also read alot that it is a "good faith" repair from the dealership since there is no recall or anything. there is a tsb but i believe it was in Canada only. Since the car only has 31k I will wait to see if it gets worse.

As for an upgrade, it would only be done if I go boost.

Honestly if you can go somewhere where you can replicate for a tech and get them to agree they hear it, you have an argument. Being a tech myself it can be annoying but on the other hand being an owner of a new car I see how something "gone wrong" can upset you. My passenger seat tracks weren't timed right from factory, had to loosen and re-adjust myself. Annoying again but is what it is. Hope for the best for you

Before I traded my 13 Si I was having issues with the clutch throw out bearings, it was a bit noisy and could feel vibration in the clutch, had a minor grind when shifting from 1st to 2nd quickly and it would also tend to pop out of gear when driven hard when I would depress the clutch for a gear change. Had the dealer look at it several times while I owned the car and they always said it was either normal or they couldn't duplicate the issue. I have been driving cars with MT for 20 years and have never had any of these issues in any other of my cars. I only had about 21000 miles on it when I traded it and the clutch had been an issue since day 1 of ownership.

I had the shifting issues during spirited driving when I bought the car and that all went away once I did the cdv delete. I also swapped my shifter bushings with full metal bushings and I haven't had a single problem. I understand that manufacturers add a lot of rubbery pieces to address NVH but I believe if some of those parts are replaced the overall driving experience is better. If I wanted a quiet spongy car then I would have bought a BMW.

I'm seeing a lot of negatives in the post's that are far more than the "YES" votes of the poll....... Please vote people......
Just maybe Honda will notice this and do something in the future manufacture of their cars.......

Last edited:
2015 si 4,500ish miles haven't had a problem with the tranny at all, well none that i am aware of at least. I don't really beat on it too much but when i do I'm usually already in 4th or 5th and just put the accelerator through the floor and don't downshift.

i have that groan when letting the clutch out in first too. doesn't happen every time but more often when on an incline. havent decided if i want to bring it up with honda or just wait until I do a clutch upgrade. i have 100k warranty so i have plenty of time if it gets worse ill probably bring it in.
That's the loose springs on the clutch plate problem that tons of people had/have.
I'm pretty sure Honda will replace your clutch because of the amount of issues people have had with the Civic clutch.

Update: just crossed the 20k mark on my 2014 Si. No real issues that I can note. I plan on doing a fluid change today after work since its still the original fluid from when I bought the car with 6 miles on it. The shifting has felt a little more notchy than usual so this prompted my desire to change the fluid and I figured since ill be under the car to change the oil today I might as well change the trans fluid.

Manual trans fluid is the hardest worked fluid on the car IMO. No filtration to rid of the debris, no pump (pressure) to help flow the fluid properly. Also who's to say to MT fluid from factory has been sitting around long, how many manuals are produced nowadays? It only holds 2 quarts which is far less than the 10k 6-8qt capacity synthetic engine oil changes on most cars now. You wont harm anything by changing "good" oil with new oil but you sure can when you wait to change bad oil due to a manufacture "recommendation". Your car will tell you what it doesn't like 90% of the time, listen! Lol

This is why everyone should get a magnetic drain bolt!
I have an extra one laying around from my other cars old transmission and I completely forgot about it till I read this. Next change its going in. Last night I was more worried about sweeping up the kitty litter from where I went butter fingers and dropped the funnel with fluid in it.

Change your Manual Transmission fluid early. I Did mines at 30k. I have read around that some people will do it every 15k just for reinsurance. It only takes 2qt's and you can knock it out while doing your oil change.

Back