Civic Manual Trans issues?

Who has Manual trans issues, who doesn't?

• YES

• NO

• Automatic to see votes

Results are only viewable after voting.
The clunk now I have tried to see if someone else had heard it, I mentioned it and noticed it since the car was practically new/2nd day of ownership. It does seem to go away more or I just don't notice as I've gotten used to it. Glad I'm not alone here and I also did here the same faint clunk in a used 2013 Si on our lot with 80k miles (not as bad cause the CDV was still in that car) so it seems to be a characteristic.

I've had the clunk thing since day one also.....even noticed it on the test drive.

Another item that I forgot to mention in regards to the clunk and when it occurs. So I go to change gears, push in the clutch and when I move the shift lever from 3 to neutral....clunk, then neutral to 4....clunk. Mind you, this is one fluid motion on the shift lever so the clunk is back to back real quick. As in it clunks when the gears in the trans are switching.

Then today, when pulling into the parking spot at work(after driving 15 miles or so). I am in 2nd pulling into the parking spot with the clutch pedal pushed down. Bring the car to a complete stop. I move the shift lever from 2nd to 1st...while still holding down the clutch pedal....and it clunks pretty bad, enough to where it feels like the engine/trans moved around.
This is when it worries me the most....I have checked the motor mounts and they all look to be good. I am stumped.......not sure what to think....

Yea I get clunks during gear changes, I wanna try a RMM before I look further into a trans problem. I feel the trans rocking through the gear knob while driving so it's a marshmallow mount. Did a oil and MTF change the other day and shifts are back to normal(ish). I have a throughout bearing/clutch noise and a bumpy/ruff feel on the pedal if I just rest my foot on it. Diffs shot and I think I hear a possible engine issue arising(wrist pin double tap noise). My clutch reservoir has been slowly dropping and faster than a wearing clutch, looked at the CMC to see residue. Need to tighten that line and hopefully fix it. With a few other things I've had to self fix and had screws fall out of the rear bumper in the fender well. I'm thinking that I might of had a "Monday/Friday" car build or the quality that I thought was honda is no more.

How do you like the mtec spring?? Is it worth it??

I personally like it. It's a night and day difference from the factory springs. Less wiggle left/right and a more firm shift. It gives me more confidence shifting with the springs. I almost always mis-shifted with the transmission... Unlike other trans... The MTEC made it better (for me)

Regarding the "clunk" into gear in my 2013, it's there. Doesn't feel like the trans is going bad, clutch is good, doesn't slip etc. When you do shifts @ roughly 7k It feels like the clutch doesn't fully engage fast enough makes me feel I'm mis-shifting. I'm trying my best to train muscle memory for this car, but something isn't right. Even with new bushings, MTEC, delay valve delete, Stainless steel clutch line... It doesn't feel 100%. Again, I'm comparing this to my stock T56 Trans-Am WS6. For a modern transmission, I feel like it would be smoother, less clunk, less jitter, less hesitation. Yes, It makes it like I'm making this transmission as a horrible trans, but It's still very good. There is still improvement. Maybe the clutch is just crap or the hydraulics aren't up to par

I also don't have the rev hang removed so that could be a issue also.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with Nomar06 above, I noticed this since day 1 @ 36 miles, test drive and @ 18300 miles on the clock.

The CDV delete seemed to allow my clutch to clamp hard instantly, test drove a used 13 with 80k+ and you could tell the cdv was still there. You do a dot 4 upgrade? assuming if you've done every other clutch mod. All systems act slightly different between cars but I have read that some people weren't happy with the clutch feel till they changed CMC's. My CDV is going back in shortly so I can try and get some warranty action going. I would suggest to help with transition smoothness is a weighted knob if you don't have one already.

The CDV delete seemed to allow my clutch to clamp hard instantly, test drove a used 13 with 80k+ and you could tell the cdv was still there. You do a dot 4 upgrade? assuming if you've done every other clutch mod. All systems act slightly different between cars but I have read that some people weren't happy with the clutch feel till they changed CMC's. My CDV is going back in shortly so I can try and get some warranty action going. I would suggest to help with transition smoothness is a weighted knob if you don't have one already.
You really think a tech is going to notice the CDV is missing?

I've had the clunk thing since day one also.....even noticed it on the test drive.

Another item that I forgot to mention in regards to the clunk and when it occurs. So I go to change gears, push in the clutch and when I move the shift lever from 3 to neutral....clunk, then neutral to 4....clunk. Mind you, this is one fluid motion on the shift lever so the clunk is back to back real quick. As in it clunks when the gears in the trans are switching.

Then today, when pulling into the parking spot at work(after driving 15 miles or so). I am in 2nd pulling into the parking spot with the clutch pedal pushed down. Bring the car to a complete stop. I move the shift lever from 2nd to 1st...while still holding down the clutch pedal....and it clunks pretty bad, enough to where it feels like the engine/trans moved around.
This is when it worries me the most....I have checked the motor mounts and they all look to be good. I am stumped.......not sure what to think....
It sounds to me like your clunking is coming from having the clutch in for so long, half of the drivetrain has stopped spinning.

It sounds to me like your clunking is coming from having the clutch in for so long, half of the drivetrain has stopped spinning.
It makes the clunk under normal driving so the clutch pedal is pressed down for maybe 2 seconds. The rpms maybe drop 500 or so in between shifts.

I personally like it. It's a night and day difference from the factory springs. Less wiggle left/right and a more firm shift. It gives me more confidence shifting with the springs. I almost always mis-shifted with the transmission... Unlike other trans... The MTEC made it better (for me)

Regarding the "clunk" into gear in my 2013, it's there. Doesn't feel like the trans is going bad, clutch is good, doesn't slip etc. When you do shifts @ roughly 7k It feels like the clutch doesn't fully engage fast enough makes me feel I'm mis-shifting. I'm trying my best to train muscle memory for this car, but something isn't right. Even with new bushings, MTEC, delay valve delete, Stainless steel clutch line... It doesn't feel 100%. Again, I'm comparing this to my stock T56 Trans-Am WS6. For a modern transmission, I feel like it would be smoother, less clunk, less jitter, less hesitation. Yes, It makes it like I'm making this transmission as a horrible trans, but It's still very good. There is still improvement. Maybe the clutch is just crap or the hydraulics aren't up to par

EDIT: I'm agreeing with Nomar06 above, I noticed this since day 1 @ 36 miles, test drive and @ 18300 miles on the clock.
Ok.. Well im about to put the em1 cmc in today.. That might be a better resolution for the shifting problem.. I wont have time to do the cdv today but will eventually.. Ill let you know what i think. But the em1 cmc is alot better then the stock.. Read up if you want and again ill let you know. There are restrictions in the stock cmc. It even has a plastic piston. The em1 is more solid.

Last edited:
thats the plastic piston up top. Kind of cheesy. The em1 is more solid and has less restrictions. I think its a must..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 19
You really think a tech is going to notice the CDV is missing?

I honestly don't think most would notice but I know I could tell a night and day difference. I'll probably keep it as is and not mention anything about the clutch, not chatter or funny noises on engage. Where I did notice the difference though is higher rpm shifts. The 13' that had it still was easily felt slipping on engage due to the valve, not clutch problems.

I have to take a video of what the diff sounds like on a lift/off the ground. It's horrendous

Just an update.. I did do the em1 cmc install.. I honestly don't feel much of a difference yet. But I haven't done the CDv delete yet..
But the reason Im not feeling the em1 cmc yet is because I don't think I have adjusted right.. I'm not sure where we should adjust the clutch sensor with the new cmc.. Anyone have an idea??? I just moved it in tonight where I have about 5 threads exposed on the switch side of the clutch sensor. The further in you move the clutch sensor, the shorter you have to make the rod. Which means you will be pushing in the cmc less.. Gonna test drive tomorrow.. But it I'm determined to get rid of this shifting problem

Also.. If you aren't gonna do the em1 cmc, try adjusting the clutch sensor by the pedal.. I red that if you adjust it all the way out to the max so that the pedal just rest against it when your foot is off the pedal, it can solve this shifting problem.. After you have the sensor fully out, with like a half of thread exposed, you then have to adjust the rod so that it is almost contacting the cmc piston..(freeplay).
But don't take my word for it.. There's a video on you tube..

View: http://youtu.be/y-4CPen_21s

I don't know if I agree with him 100% about the em1.. But it does make sense.. He doesn't give freeplay.and you need that because the fluid expands when hot.. So I don't know how right he is..
But it's worth making a couple of quick adjustements and try it before doing anything else..

My clutch moves engagement points and I grind a gear every now and then even when slowing down my shifts. Also it has a tendenacy to pop shifting 2-3 or 3-4 at times. im glad to hear im not alone mine is just about to roll over to 8000, not what I was expecting from Honda. Especially for the price paid for the car and the fact this motor setups been out for awhile.

Also.. If you aren't gonna do the em1 cmc, try adjusting the clutch sensor by the pedal.. I red that if you adjust it all the way out to the max so that the pedal just rest against it when your foot is off the pedal, it can solve this shifting problem.. After you have the sensor fully out, with like a half of thread exposed, you then have to adjust the rod so that it is almost contacting the cmc piston..(freeplay).
But don't take my word for it.. There's a video on you tube..

View: http://youtu.be/y-4CPen_21s

I used the push rod adjusting nut only worked fine but I adjusted mine back since I have full disengagement of the clutch at 75% pedal so that adjustment wont do anything. The whole adjusting of the switches to allow more movement also raises the pedal height which may or may not bother you. I thought originally it helped but it really didn't. Proper preloading of the shifter and clutch allowed smooth shifting more than anything for me. I found out that I have a seeping/leaking CMC though that has lost fluid over 5k, 1/4inch under max. Brake reservoir seeps too on top of the BMC but nothing warranty can't handle. I've actually got a little more freeplay in my pushrod so I can rest my foot on it and feel where the top is better for parking lot maneuvers and on ramp pulls pulls. Work's for me.

I used the push rod adjusting nut only worked fine but I adjusted mine back since I have full disengagement of the clutch at 75% pedal so that adjustment wont do anything. The whole adjusting of the switches to allow more movement also raises the pedal height which may or may not bother you. I thought originally it helped but it really didn't. Proper preloading of the shifter and clutch allowed smooth shifting more than anything for me. I found out that I have a seeping/leaking CMC though that has lost fluid over 5k, 1/4inch under max. Brake reservoir seeps too on top of the BMC but nothing warranty can't handle. I've actually got a little more freeplay in my pushrod so I can rest my foot on it and feel where the top is better for parking lot maneuvers and on ramp pulls pulls. Work's for me.
Ok so you tried this with the stock cmc?? And it didn't work??
I actually lowered the pedal this morning.. And after driving around all day I can definetly feel the differenc now.. It feels great. I love it.. I guess the clutch had to adjust.. But yea I'm definetly glad I did this mod.... Car feels much smoother. I feel like I have more control because I'm not worried about that notchy feeling when I got to shift...

My clutch moves engagement points and I grind a gear every now and then even when slowing down my shifts. Also it has a tendenacy to pop shifting 2-3 or 3-4 at times. im glad to hear im not alone mine is just about to roll over to 8000, not what I was expecting from Honda. Especially for the price paid for the car and the fact this motor setups been out for awhile.
Yea.. But you can make it better... It just seems like they are tuned for regular driving. But you can still bring out that Honda you want...

Ok so you tried this with the stock cmc?? And it didn't work??
I actually lowered the pedal this morning.. And after driving around all day I can definetly feel the differenc now.. It feels great. I love it.. I guess the clutch had to adjust.. But yea I'm definetly glad I did this mod.... Car feels much smoother. I feel like I have more control because I'm not worried about that notchy feeling when I got to shift...

Notchy like an on/off or not linear engagement? Mine still can be like that but less since break in. I've actually enjoyed the way my clutch has broken in now.

Notchy like an on/off or not linear engagement? Mine still can be like that but less since break in. I've actually enjoyed the way my clutch has broken in now.
Notchy.. Like when i shift sometimes i feel a little bite like im like its getting a little jammed.. I wish it were just smooth shifts every time.. It felt good last night but not as good this morning

I'm in to see how this goes. Shouldn't be hard for you to find and engine off a wrecked bike for cheap.

Notchy.. Like when i shift sometimes i feel a little bite like im like its getting a little jammed.. I wish it were just smooth shifts every time.. It felt good last night but not as good this morning

I believe that's from the spongy RMM since it isn't constant. The force of the gears/synchro's meshing with the torque of the motor and different speed of the input/output shafts makes the motor flex midshift. Assumption but seems logical. Spin 3 or more objects (ex. wheels, gears, sprockets) on a shaft at different speeds and try to mesh them or press them together to get equal speed. If you were holding on to both ends of the shaft will someone did this, I'd bet you'd feel forces enough to throw your arms around some. Same concept

Back