Clicking Noise from Speakers when Locking/Unlocking Doors

Hmm... ok, well I can see based on the price why Honda doesn't want to willy nilly replace Navi units ($5k????), but clearly the problem is somewhere in these components (made by third party manufacturers) and probably not in wiring external of the units. At least that's the best I can guess after hearing from a tech that he cleaned the grounds and even created new/secondary grounds to the battery and no change. The only thing that won't touch is ground issues inside electronic board/components, e.g. nav unit, amplifier... what else? XM unit?

Thanks for keeping this alive, I'm actively watching. My dealer on my end hasn't been able to do much... <_<

The first thing I talked the dealership in to doing was swap the amp and it didn't fix it so that is apparently not the problem. The honda rep told me that the radio is manufactured by Mitaubishi and there engineering stated that even if they swapped the head unit it would eventually start doing it again. Keep in mind that this is third hand information.

I have a 2013 LX without navi. Only 2000 miles but I started noticing it a while ago.

I started hearing it with the driver door's front passenger window button and have now found it happens to 3 of the 4 window buttons on the driver door (not on the button for that door's window) I also feel like it doesn't do it all the time nor soon after I start the car and go.. It takes a while. It happens when I pull the button both up and down. I haven't heard it on the lock button but I rarely use it. Will test it further.

Brought it to the dealer today and they said they would talk to the engineers, call Honda about it and also test other civics they have on the lot to see if was just inherent to the vehicle (which I have a feeling they will say just to get rid of me) they are going to call me next week to tell me what they found and set up an appointment if needed.

They tried over and over to hear it and ended up having me drive one of them around and she admitted hearing it.

Ill email and call corporate if nothing comes from the dealer looking into it (I'm expecting to get the brush off... And at this point I agree with other posters that I don't want my car to be the guinea pig anyways)

I can't believe they are trying to say that this is just a characteristic of the vehicle... It's obviously a flaw that they aren't in any rush to resolve... since they've already gotten our money.

I wonder if the fact it is electrical means there is a fire risk? I have no mechanical/electrical knowledge but I do worry what could happen since something isn't right and I keep using it (making it worse?)

Sorry for the rambling

Last edited:
I took mine for its first oil change last week. I didn't have time to leave it with them but I did mention it. Of course they said they've never heard of any doing it.

When I can leave the car with them I'll get them to try to diagnose something.....or at least admit its not normal.

...they always say that when they don't have an obvious (easy) fix... I think the true answer is defective components that require complete replacement in every car, which is very expensive.

I have a 2013 EX sedan and no nav and noticed the popping sound a few days ago. I have around 1k miles on the car and noticed the noise when I put the car into park. And when I turn the car off it also makes the noise. It sounds like it is coming from the speakers. Again that does sound like a problem of cars from decades ago with a bad ground someplace. I have not taken the car into the dealer yet and will try to wait for my first oil change to mention it unless the problem gets worse. I do hope this does not cause a fire or other issue. Also last night the car hesitated to start but did start so I am thinking it is a wiring issue. The car started right up today so the dealer won't know what to do. I have not noticed my lights going dim at a turn like another poster mentioned......I hope Honda finds a fix.....I have heard so many horror stories of how they "honor" their warranty makes me wonder if I should have stayed w another brand......lol

I have a 2013 2door Si in CANADA, This clicking happens in about the same ish intervals, also the volume of the click doesn't change with the volume of the music. and when using the door locks doesn't make it click. also doesn't matter what i'm listening to, XM, FX, bluetooth, aux. still happens. I have a very good ear for this kinda stuff, being an auto mechanic helps tune the ear in.

Kinda off topic but one thing I did do is file a complaint about this with Honda Canada.

When it's close to -20 and the car has been sitting for 8hrs the touch screen is mostly whited out and takes a good 30 mins to warm up to get it's color back. The I-MID is fine so is every other brand of car at my shop that has a touch screen sitting in the cold. good job honda! I have a case number filed about this

Also just changed my starter under warranty, as it was sticking and riding the flywheel for a few seconds.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 Civic Si Sedan, the pop sound for me comes from the two rear windows and the from passenger window. There is no noise from the driver’s window switch. That switch is the only one that has the auto close/open feature. If you notice, the pop only occurs when you release the switch after lowering or closing the windows. Sometime the clicks are louder than usual, this suggests that there is a buildup of electricity, like a static electric buildup, which gets released when you move the switch. If you close the windows and flip the switch to try and close the window you get the pop in the speakers, whether the radio is off or not you still get a pop, the sound varies and sometimes it does not even happen.

So there has to be a discharge of from either the switch on the driver’s door or from the electric motor in the door(s). Kind of like when you turn your lights on in your house and hear a pop sometimes. Try it, slowly turn on a light, you will hear pop sound.

Back to the switches, the fact that the driver’s window switch does not pop, it’s a different switch, might mean you want to look here first. If you can remove the switch panel and try moving the switches while they are not in the door might help see if they had improper metal to metal contact or poorly isolated. Wonder if you can replace the passenger side window switch with an automatic would you get the same results.

And guess what, when i sit in the any passenger seat and lower and close the window, I am not getting a pop in the speakers. This leads me to believe that the problem lies in the switch panel on the driver’s door.

Looking further, has anyone pulled off the door panel and watched the motor in the dark when you try and lower a window? If you see a discharge of electricity and it will be quick, there is your problem. The discharge will escape and hit the frame and you will hear a pop. If you do it in the dark you will see a spark. You will need to do the same for the driver’s door switches. It might be that the window motors are not insulated well, so you have metal on metal contact and the discharge goes right into the interior door frame, or the switch in the driver’s door.

If I have time this weekend I will give it a shot. If I am right, all that needs to be done is isolate the switches from metal to metal contact.

If not then this is a characteristics of the Honda Civic SI. Sorry could not help it.

UPDATE:
So I went to the local dealer (Kanata Honda) in Ottawa Canada and spoke to the service manager about the clicking in the speakers. He said I wasn't the only one, a few customers have already brought there cars in about the same problem. Some just days after buying it, LOL ) So far 2012-2013's When I wanted to book an appointment for them to daig. this with my car he said don't bother right now we have had ppl in about this already and are currently trying to figure this out with the Honda engineers over the Hotline.

CRAZY STUFF happening, hope they find the issue cuz it's annoying. I can see this now they will issue a TSB soon.

Also this poping/clicking noise from the speakers comes randomly and on it's own. doesn't matter what input it's on or even if the unit is powered on. The service manager said it's not the radio unit, it's something else thats doing it but can't figure it out yet, so ppl don't go ripping your car apart, lol

Last edited:
only issue I had with my stereo when i had my 9th was the damn bluetooth. It seems like alot of people had that problem also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard on the other forums it is navi models only. I have it too. Started at 7500 miles. On or off doesn't matter. It drives me nuts!!!!! I want this fixed.
It is annoying! I also have wondered if anyone has this issue who stayed completely stock? I pulled my DRL fuse and also added projectors and led tails. I hope that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Last edited:
Kanata honda is replacing my navi unit so we'll see if the clicking stops. But only thing is i have traded the car in so i wont beable to check. You need to call Nick in service after its replaced and see if its still clicking . Wait about 2 weeks from this post as they have to special order the unit. This all came about doing the replacment cuz a tech when fixing a raddle in the dash has put a big scratch in the screen. Charles is there operations manager and said that replacing the unit will not stop the clicking. And yes my car is completely stock nothing ever modded. Im now unsubbing from this thread so you guys will need to call that dealer for updates. Tell them it was to service Peter ringuette's navi issue, they will remember my situation.

Last edited:
Any update on this from anyone? I ended up turning off my auto door lock at 5 mph feature because it annoyed me so badly. Now I don't hear it because I drive with my car unlocked all the time, but I would get it fixed it I can so I could go back to having that turned on.

It will be interesting to see if the '14s do it. My '13 still does it. I'm going to call the dealer that Pete talks about to see if they have an update. I live in the same area.

Back