Clutch Noise

hmmm i deff need to take mines in...gets embarrassing when im a stop/red light and it moans all loud. im at 56k already so i need to go asap before the warranty runs out

I agree, the incline was key for me too to get them to hear the noise!

Honda replaced the pressure plate only but not anything else, not even the clutch. Now the car is rougher when starting off unless I'm right around 2k RPMs... shifts smoothly, but I found the clutch release to be slower and the takeup point to be closer to the floor, and I still heard the pigeon noise. Is it possible by replacing the pressure plate but not the clutch or throw out bearing that they just bandaged the car instead of truly fixing it?

I can't believe Honda hasn't come out with some type of bulletin for this issue. SO many people are having the same noise issue. It's obviously a problem.
I'd be curious to hear if the issue is only with one particular model year or if this is happening with all 9th gens?

I'm at about 34k Kms. While I say it's intermittent, it's happening enough that I think it would happen if it was at a service dept.

I was going to make a post about this, but found this thread. I just got back from 9 month deployment, and wife was driving my car every once in while. She heard noise, and left it alone. I came home, and heard a similar noise, randomly. Only happened accelerating from stop. Took in to dealership, and they have had a few others with same issue. Long story short, the clutch is under investigation and I received entire new clutch, flywheel, everything, for free. Thank goodness!

2012 Si Sedan, 23k miles.

I went to the dealership and talked about this they're not going to do anything for me since I'm shy under 40k

I just started having this issue maybe a month ago (right after I hit 30,000 miles, now pushing 33,000). Sad to see so many other people have this problem as well. I asked the dealership about it, and they told me they have one other customer with a '12 Si that has the same problem. They opened up his clutch to see if there was any premature wear issues, but could find nothing to suggest a cause for the noise. I can't remember if they said they replaced his clutch or not, but he was over 55,000 miles before he started having this problem.

Last edited:
Tsb's aren't recalls. Just cause its a tsb doesn't mean its covered outside of power train warranty. If close, they may be able to good will it if they are feeling generous and you complain a lot.
I know it's not a recall but it's a starting point to get your car fixed.

I know it's not a recall but it's a starting point to get your car fixed.
Sure is, and is prolly what's wrong, but you stated that Honda would cover it even out of warranty. I'm just saying that's not the case with a tsb, that's all. Its a common issue, but not something they'll cover out of warranty. Unless they good will it for you.

Sure is, and is prolly what's wrong, but you stated that Honda would cover it even out of warranty. I'm just saying that's not the case with a tsb, that's all. Its a common issue, but not something they'll cover out of warranty. Unless they good will it for you.

First off, lets stop being silly. There are plenty of people who have already had this fixed, both in the US and Canada, but none of them under warranty (only under "Good Will" standing, so a once-off fix no longer covered under warranty after the fact).

More importantly, unless something came out yesterday there is no TSB on this issue that is recognized in America. The TSB's copied above and described elsewhere are either not Honda-generated, or foreign - none of them come up in the American ISIS system that every dealership uses as a knowledge base. Maybe this TSB is Canadian (though I have seen nothing to support that), as many of the Canadian owners who had this problem fixed referred to a similar TSB, but the numbers do not correlate to any American system. Just try calling your dealership and asking them to search for any such TSB - they wont be able to find a thing.

Also, Silver04v is right, TSB's are not recalls. They can help you in getting things fixed, and fixed properly, but they are more instructional guides as to how to fix a particular problem than anything else. They do little more than realize that Honda has recognized a regular problem that needs to be fixed in any particular model and year.

I haven't come across anyone having this issue past 60k miles thus far, so the warranty issue is moot. However, I have seen a lot of owners have more difficulty finding a cooperative dealership when approaching the end of the drive train warranty (5y/60k miles) - not to say many owners didn't experience the same difficulties when trying to diagnose the problem under 20k miles.

What I would like to know is if anyone who has had a successful replacement has had the problem reoccur? Everything I have seen suggests that they are replacing the clutch assembly with the exact same part, so why wouldn't it just break again after another 20-30k miles?

What I would like to know is if anyone who has had a successful replacement has had the problem reoccur? Everything I have seen suggests that they are replacing the clutch assembly with the exact same part, so why wouldn't it just break again after another 20-30k miles?

The problems we're seeing are due to faulty clutch springs in the assembly and yes, they're replacing the whole assembly because Honda is telling them to do it.
----

Because it sounds like they got a bad batch of parts. Probably difficult to know what vin numbers have the faulty springs, so they'll prob never issue a recall. They'll just fix things on a case by case basis.

i had this problem a while ago but i never got around to sharing my experice since ive been inactive for a little, they replaced my clutch flywheel and all for free and said theyve heard of this with other people i had it done at 29k miles those 4 springs in the clutch disc were loose and you could see the excessive wear and heat that it took surprised it lasted that long

Back