Clutch Noise

I know this is a bit old but I have had this problem for about 1000 miles now. I finally decided to make an appointment but unfortunately I'm at 35,975 miles ): I think by the time I'll take it in it'll be past 36,000 miles and they won't cover it anymore. I'm not looking forward to it but I thought I might as well try before I change it myself.

Any advice for when I take it in? It's all stock.

I know this is a bit old but I have had this problem for about 1000 miles now. I finally decided to make an appointment but unfortunately I'm at 35,975 miles ): I think by the time I'll take it in it'll be past 36,000 miles and they won't cover it anymore. I'm not looking forward to it but I thought I might as well try before I change it myself.

Any advice for when I take it in? It's all stock.
Depending on the dealership, they might replace the clutch under warranty considering that this is a known problem.
You might need to show them all the info on this thread to prove to them that this is common amongst 9th gens.
You could also speak to Honda HO to see if they can help get the clutch replaced under warranty.
Good luck!

Depending on the dealership, they might replace the clutch under warranty considering that this is a known problem.
You might need to show them all the info on this thread to prove to them that this is common amongst 9th gens.
You could also speak to Honda HO to see if they can help get the clutch replaced under warranty.
Good luck!

What's a Honda HO?

Also I doubt they'll care whats on the forum, or so I hear. But I was planning on showing them information about the car.

What's a Honda HO?

Also I doubt they'll care whats on the forum, or so I hear. But I was planning on showing them information about the car.

You're right, they wont care what is on the forums, but they will care that you know exactly what the problem is and that there are other owners who have had the same exact issue, and that Honda HO knows this problem exists. Show them the pictures I took and be prepared to explain exactly what is causing the problem while being able to cite the half dozen of us (that I know of) that have had their clutches replaced free of charge and all found the exact same thing after doing the tear-down. They will try to tell you it is something else, or that it is normal; it is not normal and you will have to insist that you know better than they do - because you do. The Master Tech at my dealership would not believe what I was telling them until I got Honda HO to force them to do the tear down and he was able to see for himself the vast number of scorch marks on the springs.

Also, this should be covered under the Powertrain warranty as well, which extends well beyond the 36k bumper-to-bumper warranty. With the information here you should be able to reproduce the noise at will on a hill; do that for one of their technicians and there should be no question on the dealers part that a tear down must be done.

So I had a tech finally discover this squeak on a break inspection on my 2012 Si. I'm almost up on my 5year/ 60K miles warranty. So relieved, just waiting on a approval from district. But I'm getting the Clutch Assembly replaced. So I'm pretty stoked as long as everything goes as well. I'll be sure to source this forum if I get into a snag. But I try building good rapport with my dealerships. Cheapest oil changes for a 2.4L K.

Ok. Update time. They approved the repair. I'm getting a new pressure plate and everything else. Looks like I will have her back tomorrow. I'll update any other info that I get told.

Still waiting to get her back. Went by with the rental they gave me and it looks like they are still doing an alignment on the car. I didn't see any comment about this. Did you guys get alignment too? When you had the clutch assembly replaced.

Final Update: Complete Clutch Assembly replacement. The techs did well over 2000$ worth the work for me and it took a few days but they got it done without a problem. The car is like brand-new. I am so thankful. I no longer have any kind of issues when fast shifting in 2nd and 3rd. I don't have the grinding squeal when I am taking off from a stop. I can honestly say this was the best thing that could of happened. Get yours looked at people. This is covered up to 60,000 miles on the drivetrain.

Last edited:
Ok. Update time. They approved the repair. I'm getting a new pressure plate and everything else. Looks like I will have her back tomorrow. I'll update any other info that I get told.

Still waiting to get her back. Went by with the rental they gave me and it looks like they are still doing an alignment on the car. I didn't see any comment about this. Did you guys get alignment too? When you had the clutch assembly replaced.

Final Update: Complete Clutch Assembly replacement. The techs did well over 2000$ worth the work for me and it took a few days but they got it done without a problem. The car is like brand-new. I am so thankful. I no longer have any kind of issues when fast shifting in 2nd and 3rd. I don't have the grinding squeal when I am taking off from a stop. I can honestly say this was the best thing that could of happened. Get yours looked at people. This is covered up to 60,000 miles on the drivetrain.

The 2 and 3 shift noises you had, was it similar to a grind noise but only happened on clutch release? My 2015 does this and it sounds like a scrape on a washboard. I'm set on the clutch springs chattering but i get no problems on take off from a stop. I get a clunk at times but feels like drive line slop.

Went by with the rental they gave me and it looks like they are still doing an alignment on the car. I didn't see any comment about this. Did you guys get alignment too? When you had the clutch assembly replaced.

Sorry, I know this is old news, but I would not be surprised if they did an alignment since they have to take off the entire subframe from the front of the car in order to get to the transmission. If I am not mistaken, the subframe connects to the lower parts of the front suspension.

The 2 and 3 shift noises you had, was it similar to a grind noise but only happened on clutch release? My 2015 does this and it sounds like a scrape on a washboard. I'm set on the clutch springs chattering but i get no problems on take off from a stop. I get a clunk at times but feels like drive line slop.

Does the '15 use all the same clutch parts as the previous models? I would assume so since the engine didn't change, though I would also hope they would have fixed this issue with the '15 release. Scraping on a washboard is a fairly good way to describe the noise I had, if you were scraping down the board really fast since it is almost a buzzing noise. The best way to reproduce this particular noise is on an incline. Before I had mine replaced I was able to get it to make the noise 3 out of 4 times on a hill near my dealership.

Since I have had the replacement, there have been a small handful of times when I cold start the car that it feels like the clutch plate is still slightly engaged and slips a little bit. It makes a short sort of whirring noise, and I feel a vibration feed back through the clutch pedal even though it is pressed hard against the floor as far as it will go. Has anyone else experienced this, even with their stock clutch? The only thing I can think of is that they did not bleed all the air out of the line when they replaced the transmission fluid last time around and that is causing a tiny bit of play in the clutch even though I have the pedal fully depressed.

Depress the clutch, put the car in 1 first and rev it while your clutch is still disengaged. If you feel the car wanting to move at all it's still engaged, if not the your fully disengaged. Still possible to have bubbles to cause a low disengage point. My car I've notice likes to do the same buzzing washboard sound on start up randomly. Clutch in, neutral, push button to start and as soon as the motor fires and the starter shuts off you here a quick "bzzz". Not sure if it's clutch or starter not retracting fast enough but don't bother me and I only get the 2-3-4-5 buzz if I shock the driveline to much, RMM still yet to be ordered.

I get that scraping nose a lot now before I thought it was my springs Or struts. but now it dose it if I am kinda on the gas some going into 2nd Or 3rd so now i am just thinking of just upgrading my clutch and flywheel since my car is no longer under warranty.

Depress the clutch, put the car in 1 first and rev it while your clutch is still disengaged. If you feel the car wanting to move at all it's still engaged, if not the your fully disengaged. Still possible to have bubbles to cause a low disengage point. My car I've notice likes to do the same buzzing washboard sound on start up randomly. Clutch in, neutral, push button to start and as soon as the motor fires and the starter shuts off you here a quick "bzzz". Not sure if it's clutch or starter not retracting fast enough but don't bother me and I only get the 2-3-4-5 buzz if I shock the driveline to much, RMM still yet to be ordered.

That honestly sounds more like a diagnosis for the VTC Actuator grind noise. I never got the clutch noise on startup.

I get that scraping nose a lot now before I thought it was my springs Or struts. but now it dose it if I am kinda on the gas some going into 2nd Or 3rd so now i am just thinking of just upgrading my clutch and flywheel since my car is no longer under warranty.

This is covered under the power train warranty, which goes up to 60k miles, just in case you are still under that. If you are close to the 60k mark, get it documented at a dealership and they will still honor the repair even if it is done after the warranty expires.

That honestly sounds more like a diagnosis for the VTC Actuator grind noise. I never got the clutch noise on startup.

This is covered under the power train warranty, which goes up to 60k miles, just in case you are still under that. If you are close to the 60k mark, get it documented at a dealership and they will still honor the repair even if it is done after the warranty expires.
I am only at 27k miles and my warranty already expired. I don't know if they will cover it or not I have been so busy I have not had time to drive to the Honda delership to let them check it out.

I am only at 27k miles and my warranty already expired. I don't know if they will cover it or not I have been so busy I have not had time to drive to the Honda delership to let them check it out.

Nonsense. Your bumper-to-bumper warranty doesn't expire til 32k miles, and your power train warranty doesn't expire til 60k miles. Dealerships will try to tell you different because they have no idea what they are talking about and don't want to do extra work on your car "for free" (which Honda Co. actually ends up paying them more than standard rates for their labor, so they actually make money on doing these sorts of repairs).

If you are experiencing anything you think is a problem, like odd clutch noises, the manufacturer is obligated to fix them. Go practice on a hill near where you live and see how you need to let out the clutch with a little gas to make the noise happen; This is a common problem with '12+ Si's, and Honda knows it by now. If you can demonstrate the problem, they will replace your entire clutch assembly for free (what would otherwise be a $2000+ job). If you have this done, I also suggest you replace your rear engine mount with a Hasport anything, as they are much more solid mounts to compensate for the fact that Honda eliminated an entire mount when transferring into this model (there were 4, now there are 3); I personally believe the weak factory rear engine mount has a lot to do with our failing factory clutches, as I have seen zero issues with the replacement clutch when I replaced these parts near the same time I put in the new motor mount. Also, the difference just in everyday driving is significant, which also leads me to the same conclusion: the weak stock rear motor mount is responsible for many issues our '12+ Si engines face. See this thread if you have any questions, or just ask me: http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/clutch-noise.6191/

Last edited:
Nonsense. Your bumper-to-bumper warranty doesn't expire til 32k miles, and your power train warranty doesn't expire til 60k miles. Dealerships will try to tell you different because they have no idea what they are talking about and don't want to do extra work on your car "for free" (which Honda Co. actually ends up paying them more than standard rates for their labor, so they actually make money on doing these sorts of repairs).

If you are experiencing anything you think is a problem, like odd clutch noises, the manufacturer is obligated to fix them. Go practice on a hill near where you live and see how you need to let out the clutch with a little gas to make the noise happen; This is a common problem with '12+ Si's, and Honda knows it by now. If you can demonstrate the problem, they will replace your entire clutch assembly for free (what would otherwise be a $2000+ job). If you have this done, I also suggest you replace your rear engine mount with a Hasport anything, as they are much more solid mounts to compensate for the fact that Honda eliminated an entire mount when transferring into this model (there were 4, now there are 3); I personally believe the weak factory rear engine mount has a lot to do with our failing factory clutches, as I have seen zero issues with the replacement clutch when I replaced these parts near the same time I put in the new motor mount. Also, the difference just in everyday driving is significant, which also leads me to the same conclusion: the weak stock rear motor mount is responsible for many issues our '12+ Si engines face. See this thread if you have any questions, or just ask me: http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/clutch-noise.6191/
Yeah I need to take my car in asap. I already replaced my rear motor mount with the 62A . and I could tell a huge difference just driving around.

Yeah I need to take my car in asap. I already replaced my rear motor mount with the 62A . and I could tell a huge difference just driving around.

Seriously man, I came to this forum looking for answers, and I found very few; but some of the long standing members here helped me find a solution to my problem, which happens to be a huge problem with all '12-'15 Civic Si's! I feel like I have contributed a lot and I just want every Si Owner to understand what they are facing, because the answer is not a faultless car. I had to contact Honda of America (the lead corporation that dictates everything in America via Honda) to even get my problem to be addressed, and I was not happy about it. If you are experiencing the same issues other owners are facing, then by all means make sure you use us as examples. Your particular dealership might not seem to care up front, but when you supercede them and go straight to Honda Corp their ears will perk right up.

Please go through the forum link I provided and see if what is described there IN ANY WAY pertains to your experience.

It's random and really had about a week it really perked up but no it's not cams slapping around. It's lighter of a noise and more similar to the buzz on higher rpm shifts. Clutch springs or starter not retracting quick enough is what I'm guessing for now. Not anything to worry about honestly though. Next time I get the car on stands I'll make you all cringe from diff noise lol

I got an appointment Thursday to get my clutch checked out. do you think they will say anything about me having a Intake or Downpipe? and try and say it was from racing. I have been to the drag strip a few times but others then that I drive my car normally with a few hard pulls ever now and then.

It is a possibility they might try to say something along those lines but those parts alone won't make the clutch have issues. Normal stock cars can have issues or burn a clutch. Just don't act defensive and try to explain that you know they are not linked with the clutch. Ultimately though that still stands as possible. I worry the same just having a CDV delete and cable bushings to deny a faulty diff. Best of luck though!

I dropped my car off today and spoke to the Tech and he will not touch my car after he found out I had mods done to it.. He clams that an Aftermarket intake will cause engine failures and transmission probems.:confuzzled: and continued to tell me that Honda's can't handle performance modification's
:eek2:
So I just kindly asked for my keys back and will not return to that place

Back