Coilover choosing

fb6danny

Cutting corners.
Houston
Vehicle Model
Honda
Body Style
Civic Si
I've searched around and what are the pros and cons from specific brands I've owned buddy club n+ for my 8th couldn't complain I'm not looking to slam. Idc how low they go I want the best setup for track and daily driving because I need my four door for my son and I've decided from these 3 brands

1 buddy club n+
2 ksports because of the front camber plate
3 d2 because that's what everyone seems to go with

Now I understand they're all good brands but the material and reliability factor plays a lot that's why I wouldn't go with the cheaper alternatives like skunk2 and Megan I haven't heard good stories about Godspeed either. No diss but I need the best reliability considering I'm a father.

buddy club for sure if you want to track it. stiff spring rate on those

i went with the ksport for my 2014. still need to install them. softer spring rate but dampening is fully adjustable so you can stiffen it up. out of the box its very close to stock.

Depending on the drop, you wouldn't need the camber plates. Camber bolts would be enough for adjusting the front camber to spec. Rear camber arms are still a must when you get a pretty significant drop. I'd go with the Buddyclubs.

I see more than a GC kit and shocks...

RedShift Coilovers – Height-adjustable suspension using Koni Shock Absorbers. Custom-fabricated and assembled by RedShift.

RedShift Sport Full Coilover
This coilover combines the Koni Sport “Yellow” single-adjustable dampers with the Ground Control Coilover kit plus some improvements into a “Full” coilover. What you receive is:

1. Koni Sport “Yellow” shocks front and rear
  2. Extended threaded front collars (so you can chose a different front spring rate…. standard GC kit does not allow this)
  3. Custom top mount specification allows 5/8” more compression travel than standard Koni Sport front configuration (important to everyone, but especially if you want to lower the car more than 2 inches)
  4. Rear spring retainer kit so to you don’t have to worry about the rear springs falling out when the car is raised

for those who don't know... eibach sells universal threaded sleeves for you to build your own coilovers for $75 each, this is what "extended threaded front collars" are...

sleeve.jpg ed.

Last edited:
You're mostly paying for the fab work to be done for you. Some people aren't able or capable of assembling and cutting their own struts.

Your point? I just suggested another coil over option with a higher quality damper than most run of the mill mass produced china/taiwan products. Not that K-Spors, D2, or Buddy Club are bad. Just another option. It must be nice to be able to assemble your own coil over setup but some people aren't that capable. Hence, the redshift option.

If there were KW Variants available Id suggest those also.

Yes. It was the next thing up in price from the $1k coil overs most people choose. I didn't see a lot of options in the $1-2000 range. You get the Koni damper with a little bit of a price penalty. I think for most people unless you are tracking hard, the usual coil over choices are probably plenty. I'm partial to the K-Sports since they are sometimes a bit less than a comparable D2/BCRacing/Tein product.

Unfortunately with all the suspension and model year changes to the 9th gens I don't think we will see too many high end offerings from companies like KW or AST/Moton. There are Motons available for the FD2 civic so with a little work you could potentially run those. That's like a $5k setup though. hahahah

EDIT: I wish there were good speed shops in more areas that could be trusted to do quality work, and affordably at that. SoCal/LA is just awesome for that sort of thing.

Your point? I just suggested another coil over option with a higher quality damper than most run of the mill mass produced china/taiwan products. Not that K-Spors, D2, or Buddy Club are bad. Just another option. It must be nice to be able to assemble your own coil over setup but some people aren't that capable. Hence, the redshift option.

If there were KW Variants available Id suggest those also.

"but some people aren't that capable. Hence, the redshift option."

so redshift can charge almost a $1000 for pre-fab the set up ?

remember redshift is still charging koni & ground control at full retail price...

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it included all new Honda front struts or not. When I ordered mine it came with new OEM front struts that were cut and assembled and all new Honda hardware. I know the fronts are not exactly cheap so some of that will be the price of the new housings. It's an option, expensive yes, but if you didn't want any down time with your car and need a bolt in quick afternoon installation, its there.

Almost $400 for everything oem but springs.

Last edited:
So $600 of Konis + $300 of sleeves + $400 of OEM parts + $ springs of your choice included, most are 2-300 so lets say Springs $200:

So far $1500 worth of parts and $300 for custom fab/assembly? That doesn't seem too steep to me.;)

It's almost exactly what I have and what I paid.

EDIT: If i had access to a workshop and some tools I would have loved to do it myself.

Back