converter vs knock sensor

Frankly

my son drives 02 civic. 1.7 auto . It is showing 2 check engine codes, one for knock sensor, one for cat converter , I forget exact term, he has noticed that the engine doesn't provide much heat inside the car unless it is driven and mileage has been down some. I feel the knock sensor has failed, engine is not operating efficiently, and has caused the converter to set a code also. Mechanic tells him that the converter need replacement, and somehow it is responsible for knock sensor code... I think how is that? Is this B S ? Thanks

The knock sensor can cause a misfire and a failed cat could cause low power, neither will cause heater to malfunction. The code for car converter is P0420, btw. You should look into a cooling system issue as well. Sounds like a stuck open thermostat or fans are running too long.

The ks is Gonna be right above ur oil pressure sensor (which is directly above ur oil filter) and right above the gold bar. Should be a 12mm. Ur gonna need some u joints to get in there and trust me it's gonna be a pita. I usually just take the intake manifold off to gain super easy access. U can get cheap ones but I'd recommend going oem but that just me. A bad knock will retard ur timing and cause ur car to feel like it has no power especially in high rpm. It's controlling detonation so ur engine components don't break on ya. Sorry for the rant just thought I'd let u know cause I've replaced a few in my time.

I will say I have never heard of a bad cat being the cause of a knock sensor failure. But I'm not a certified mechanic.

The ks is Gonna be right above ur oil pressure sensor (which is directly above ur oil filter) and right above the gold bar. Should be a 12mm. Ur gonna need some u joints to get in there and trust me it's gonna be a pita. I usually just take the intake manifold off to gain super easy access. U can get cheap ones but I'd recommend going oem but that just me. A bad knock will retard ur timing and cause ur car to feel like it has no power especially in high rpm. It's controlling detonation so ur engine components don't break on ya. Sorry for the rant just thought I'd let u know cause I've replaced a few in my time.

I will say I have never heard of a bad cat being the cause of a knock sensor failure. But I'm not a certified mechanic.
he, on my advice consulted a local garage for a second opinion. he must have screwed up the reply when relating this to me, this is why I posted on this forum, I feel the timing is retarded, causing the engine to run bad enough to set a code for the converter, it wasnt a failure code, but suggested the converter wasn't functioning properly... I will have to try and put it in myself. Thanks for your help with this.

The knock sensor can cause a misfire and a failed cat could cause low power, neither will cause heater to malfunction. The code for car converter is P0420, btw. You should look into a cooling system issue as well. Sounds like a stuck open thermostat or fans are running too long.
in Ontario, Canada still kinda cold out. I think if the knock sensor is faulty, the timing is retarded to some default setting, and the engine is not making normal heat replaced thermostat a month previous, and he never mentioned this until e test time, also neglecting to mention the lost gas cap... he can tune up my computer quick enough but cars??? I think knock sensor is the problem, thanksfor your help!

Is it saying the secondary O2 sensor is bad behind the cat? That can make the car run bad.

Back