Cost of adding OEM navi to Si w/o navi

I like how people keep claiming the Civic w/Navi is a $2,000+ option when it never has been. The MSRP is $1,500 additional for the EX or EX-L with Navi, and you can negotiate a price on a car. You can even get it lower with a AAA or Costco discount. There is no such thing as a "dealer-installed" Navi option. You have to buy the Civic with Navi, or look to eBay as there is a guy that sells an OEM Navi kit with a custom wiring harness to make it work in a Non-Navi car. But you will pay more going that route. The benefit of the OEM system is that it won't get stolen like an aftermarket stereo would, and it is easier to look at a large screen and have the audio come through the stereo, muting the front speakers, rather than a tiny smartphone screen and poor speakerphone. Also having to use a cellphone mount and clip the phone in every time with power. If you have a limited data plan, forget about using Navi, that eats up data like crazy. Smartphone Navi only works if you have a cell signal along with GPS…so if you lose the signal, you lose the Navi. OEM Navi and aftermarket stereo Navi uses the GPS signal so you won't have failed service. OEM Navi also does not require a monthly fee (smartphone cell service). You can save more money by buying a portable GPS and setting it on your dash or windshield if you wanted to be really economical. If you use Navi often for finding destinations, the OEM navi is far better than a portable or cellphone. I do claims investigations, so I use Navi daily for field work. I don't pay for unlimited data on my phone, so I keep that bill low.

for the amount u save on nav system u could get a pretty nice audio system installed ..being that the audio oem suck anyway.. thats what i did anyway. left the stock radio with lc7i ,mrv70 alpine amp.compose and two ways with kenwood kfc-xw1000f woofer.. sound pretty dam good. good enough for me anyway..

I like how people keep claiming the Civic w/Navi is a $2,000+ option when it never has been. The MSRP is $1,500 additional for the EX or EX-L with Navi, and you can negotiate a price on a car. You can even get it lower with a AAA or Costco discount. There is no such thing as a "dealer-installed" Navi option. You have to buy the Civic with Navi, or look to eBay as there is a guy that sells an OEM Navi kit with a custom wiring harness to make it work in a Non-Navi car. But you will pay more going that route. The benefit of the OEM system is that it won't get stolen like an aftermarket stereo would, and it is easier to look at a large screen and have the audio come through the stereo, muting the front speakers, rather than a tiny smartphone screen and poor speakerphone. Also having to use a cellphone mount and clip the phone in every time with power. If you have a limited data plan, forget about using Navi, that eats up data like crazy. Smartphone Navi only works if you have a cell signal along with GPS…so if you lose the signal, you lose the Navi. OEM Navi and aftermarket stereo Navi uses the GPS signal so you won't have failed service. OEM Navi also does not require a monthly fee (smartphone cell service). You can save more money by buying a portable GPS and setting it on your dash or windshield if you wanted to be really economical. If you use Navi often for finding destinations, the OEM navi is far better than a portable or cellphone. I do claims investigations, so I use Navi daily for field work. I don't pay for unlimited data on my phone, so I keep that bill low.

I would argue that most maps, software, and GUIs for car manufacturers (including Honda) are not that great if not downright horrible. Not to mention the ridiculous cost of updating them. Cellphone screens are getting big enough that a mount is all you need. Hell, many screens are just as big or bigger than GPS units. I also like that I can place it where I want. I actually don't really like having to look in the center of the car at the OEM Navi unit. In my opinion, nothing compares to Google Maps navigation. Signal isn't too much of an issue as Google has made wonderful strides with offline navigation for when signal is lost. Data usage is also negligible as an eight hour trip is only going to use 30-40 megs or so. The argument about a monthly fee is a moot point as nearly everyone has smartphones now and the navigation is a free service. No one is buying a smartphone for the navigation service.

Not to say that your points are wrong, just offering some counterpoints.

for the amount u save on nav system u could get a pretty nice audio system installed ..being that the audio oem suck anyway.. thats what i did anyway. left the stock radio with lc7i ,mrv70 alpine amp.compose and two ways with kenwood kfc-xw1000f woofer.. sound pretty dam good. good enough for me anyway..
I upgraded the OEM Navi head unit, which was the unpowered premium model, by having a shop rip out the factory amp, speakers, and sub. JL Audio amps are compatible with differential balanced systems, used in the Honda, and the shop was able to take the pre-amp outputs from the factory head unit and feed them directly to the JL amp, then run new speakers and a custom 10" sub box on the sidewall in the trunk. Sounds amazing when you change out the amp and speakers, while keeping the factory OEM head unit.

I would argue that most maps, software, and GUIs for car manufacturers (including Honda) are not that great if not downright horrible. Not to mention the ridiculous cost of updating them. Cellphone screens are getting big enough that a mount is all you need. Hell, many screens are just as big or bigger than GPS units. I also like that I can place it where I want. I actually don't really like having to look in the center of the car at the OEM Navi unit. In my opinion, nothing compares to Google Maps navigation. Signal isn't too much of an issue as Google has made wonderful strides with offline navigation for when signal is lost. Data usage is also negligible as an eight hour trip is only going to use 30-40 megs or so. The argument about a monthly fee is a moot point as nearly everyone has smartphones now and the navigation is a free service. No one is buying a smartphone for the navigation service.

Many people do have smartphones, but there are people that do not. Before I started my new job, I did not need a smartphone so I had a pay as you go phone. In a year, I spent $80 in cell fees. Most spend about $80 per month for a smartphone. I used an iPod Touch instead. The cost to upgrade them is not that expensive, and it is not needed every year. The map updates do go on sale for $99 and I re-sold the old DVD on eBay making $50 or more. Not sure how it will work with the new USB flash updates. I had Navi in my Accord from 2007 to 2013 and I had a 2007 disc, then upgraded it in 2011. That was the only upgrade I needed. All GPS are subject to map errors because of construction, etc. Even Google could not find a new street I was looking for. Cellphones are getting ridiculously large…moving back towards the enormous 80s brick style, almost. When they are too large for a pocket, and called phablets, I don't think they are too popular. You make good points, but I still prefer the OEM system over a cellphone. I enjoy listening to music and having it automatically muted for turn by turn announcements, in which a cellphone is not capable of doing…you either listen to music at low volume so you can hear the cellphone, or not at all. I also prefer not having a cellphone clip on my dashboard. The cellphone will always be a counterpoint, but for those without a smartphone, the OEM navi does not have a monthly fee to use. I find it more convenient to have it built-in the car, rather than a cellphone or portable sitting on the dash. I have been using Honda's OEM navi since 2007 and never had a problem finding an address unless it was recent construction. The Honda Navi is better than most other OEM brands. MBenz is so stupid, you must have the stereo on for it to work…same with Chevy too. The Honda Navi will work regardless of the stereo on or off, which is a nice feature.

Many people do have smartphones, but there are people that do not. Before I started my new job, I did not need a smartphone so I had a pay as you go phone. In a year, I spent $80 in cell fees. Most spend about $80 per month for a smartphone. I used an iPod Touch instead. The cost to upgrade them is not that expensive, and it is not needed every year. The map updates do go on sale for $99 and I re-sold the old DVD on eBay making $50 or more. Not sure how it will work with the new USB flash updates. I had Navi in my Accord from 2007 to 2013 and I had a 2007 disc, then upgraded it in 2011. That was the only upgrade I needed. All GPS are subject to map errors because of construction, etc. Even Google could not find a new street I was looking for. Cellphones are getting ridiculously large…moving back towards the enormous 80s brick style, almost. When they are too large for a pocket, and called phablets, I don't think they are too popular. You make good points, but I still prefer the OEM system over a cellphone. I enjoy listening to music and having it automatically muted for turn by turn announcements, in which a cellphone is not capable of doing…you either listen to music at low volume so you can hear the cellphone, or not at all. I also prefer not having a cellphone clip on my dashboard. The cellphone will always be a counterpoint, but for those without a smartphone, the OEM navi does not have a monthly fee to use. I find it more convenient to have it built-in the car, rather than a cellphone or portable sitting on the dash. I have been using Honda's OEM navi since 2007 and never had a problem finding an address unless it was recent construction. The Honda Navi is better than most other OEM brands. MBenz is so stupid, you must have the stereo on for it to work…same with Chevy too. The Honda Navi will work regardless of the stereo on or off, which is a nice feature.
@squiggy @Hillstones you both make some very good points but I would have to agree more with what @Hillstones said. I also like being able to listen to music and have it muted when the lady needs to give me directions and I'm not a fan of having a cell phone clipped to my windshield.

dang, so many great points. Honesty I ordered OEM nav with the car because i like it all to be integrated. One thing that is solid is the fact that smart phone apps like google maps update for free, OEM don't, in fact I have to purchase the update (around $99+). Other than that, I agree with looking in the center console for the map. My 335 had it where the iMid is. That makes more sense to me, then again my beemers "imid" screen was wider.

When i buy my wife a pilot or CRV in a year, this will be a choice as well. I really think without nav might be the choice. The mounts that cover the vents are ok, but "cover the vent" taking away a feature/use of a car. @Pauly99to17 I like your Nav setup. What does the nav mount to? just wondering because we will most likely be looking for a mount for my wife new iPhone which will probably be a iPhone Plus (almost the size of a nav if not bigger).

dang, so many great points. Honesty I ordered OEM nav with the car because i like it all to be integrated. One thing that is solid is the fact that smart phone apps like google maps update for free, OEM don't, in fact I have to purchase the update (around $99+). Other than that, I agree with looking in the center console for the map. My 335 had it where the iMid is. That makes more sense to me, then again my beemers "imid" screen was wider.

When i buy my wife a pilot or CRV in a year, this will be a choice as well. I really think without nav might be the choice. The mounts that cover the vents are ok, but "cover the vent" taking away a feature/use of a car. @Pauly99to17 I like your Nav setup. What does the nav mount to? just wondering because we will most likely be looking for a mount for my wife new iPhone which will probably be a iPhone Plus (almost the size of a nav if not bigger).
It looks like the Nav is mounted on a standard window mount.

My dealer told me I can just buy the navi app for my car for 60$. I have a 2015 si... was he lieing?
He is lying to you. Honda does not offer a Navigation app that you can add yourself. You need to buy the vehicle with Navi because it is not the same head unit as those without, nor does it have the GPS antenna, etc.

I don't think he was lying. Every at that car the touch screen 2014+ have the option to use your phone navigation. It is their app and you have to use hdmi cable. You would have to buy an apple adapter, hdmi cable and the app. Which is cheaper and a cool way around getting navigation. I would still just use a mount and google maps though.
fc112570a7db4049a1f618ff9b8edd26.jpg

Back