Dashboard Lights come on for no reason

JWW2987

So I have had my '13 Si for a little over two months now and in the past month, I have been driving and all of the sudden 3 or 4 of the lights come on in my dash. Then, I get the messages: check power steering, check abs system etc. These lights stay on for pretty much the whole ride when they come on, but when I turn off the car and come back the next time, the lights turn off after a minute or so. When all of these lights come on, theres nothing that feels wrong or different while driving so it must be some sort of connection or malfunction going on in there. Has this happened to anyone else?

So I have had my '13 Si for a little over two months now and in the past month, I have been driving and all of the sudden 3 or 4 of the lights come on in my dash. Then, I get the messages: check power steering, check abs system etc. These lights stay on for pretty much the whole ride when they come on, but when I turn off the car and come back the next time, the lights turn off after a minute or so. When all of these lights come on, theres nothing that feels wrong or different while driving so it must be some sort of connection or malfunction going on in there. Has this happened to anyone else?

It started about a month after you got it? I picked mine up yesterday afternoon so I'll definitely watch for it. Hopefully the service dept can fix that for you. I'd definitely take it in.

Do you have HID headlights or an audio system in the car? I've seen users say both have triggered it. Or... do you have any modifications on the car?

So I installed my HIDs again, with the relay harness. No issues so far. No errors.
It can be low voltage in the battery. Mine did that and it was battery voltage to low. Charged the battery and no issues since.

Nope, no mods other than tints haha. Yea I will have to bring it in. The first time it scared the crap out of me, the 2nd time it just made me mad!

Will do, thanks!
I agree with the the insider, that it can be battery related..... Even though ppl buy a new car(or battery) few will take the time to do a "FULL" charge on them..........
If you don't have a battery manager, I'd buy one........ If you don't have an electric socket available, there are solar powered systems that will plug into your power socket(cig-lighter) and sit the solar cell on the dash to soak up the sun.......

I plug mine up every month or two, which I did a couple of days ago, and it took a few hours just to get up to 80% ..... where it should be petty close when plugged up, so I'll go with "every" month.

My car is one year old now, and being ocd I'll try to not run battery drainers when the engines not running(like electric windows; fan ; etc.)....Also there is a safety for not draining the battery with the dtr lights....... If you turn your key to #2 position without starting it, the dtr lights will come on ............... but if you have the hand brake on "before" turning the key on, the lights won't come on till you release the hand brake.

Last edited:
I agree with the the insider, that it can be battery related..... Even though ppl buy a new car(or battery) few will take the time to do a "FULL" charge on them..........
If you don't have a battery manager, I'd buy one........ If you don't have an electric socket available, there are solar powered systems that will plug into your power socket(cig-lighter) and sit the solar cell on the dash to soak up the sun.......

I plug mine up every month or two, which I did a couple of days ago, and it took a few hours just to get up to 80% ..... where it should be petty close when plugged up, so I'll go with "every" month.

My car is one year old now, and being ocd I'll try to not run battery drainers when the engines not running(like electric windows; fan ; etc.)....Also there is a safety for not draining the battery with the dtr lights....... If you turn your key to #2 position without starting it, the dtr lights will come on ............... but if you have the hand brake on "before" turning the key on, the lights won't come on till you release the hand brake.
Okay, thanks for the help!

When I get a mile or so from home I turn of all the electricity users, radio, fan, etc. don't know if that helps much. I also had to tighten battery connections soon after purchase.

When I get a mile or so from home I turn of all the electricity users, radio, fan, etc. don't know if that helps much. I also had to tighten battery connections soon after purchase.
I'm guessing you meant "OFF", It sure won't hurt to do so.

Any update on this? Has it been resolved, or gone away, or just living with it until the next trip to dealership? Just curious. Its nice to see how it ends, plus if people search later for similar problems, they know where to start looking.

I have had my 2013 SI for about 4 months and started having issues with the passenger air bag indicator light turning on and off while driving with no passengers in the vehicle and nothing sitting in the seat. The car had less than 3000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer, but they told me that they could not find any issues. Since the visit, I don’t seem to be having the problem anymore but received no real explanation as to why it was occurring. Is anyone still experiencing the problem after taking it to the dealer?

Mines was due to my wheel speed sensor being cut in half probably got caught being too low but I rewired it back up and all the lights went off. I had abs vsa power steering lights all come on.

I notice mine coming on and off while driving, but I have my lunch box in the seat. Thought that maybe it was to heavy and the car was thinking somebody was there. Ill have to put it in the back seat and see if it still comes on or not and let you know.

I notice mine coming on and off while driving, but I have my lunch box in the seat. Thought that maybe it was to heavy and the car was thinking somebody was there. Ill have to put it in the back seat and see if it still comes on or not and let you know.
If your lunch box has corners, I'd keep it on the floor.... I'm just thinking about it digging into seat with time.

Anyway, I've seen this brought up a few times, but the main point was to see if it would stay where it belonged(on/OFF), while a passenger "IS" sitting in it........... It seems to have been brought enough that mentioning it to the dealer wouldn't hurt.

I have an 08' but I have had some similar oddities....

The airbag in the side of the seat has a sensor for body position. If you have something on the seat that is not heavy enough to trigger the passenger front airbag the seat sensor can send odd signals due to it thinking someone is leaning over, like out the window, and it will turn on/off different airbags to protect them.

I have also noticed that while cornering or going over a very bumpy road with an empty passenger seat, just the play in the seat back itself with the seat shaking around a little is enough to trigger some lights about passenger airbags and side airbags on or off.

For the 2013 SI, the owners manual states 65 lbs of weight will turn the light off per design. I tested my seat by placing 24.5 lbs of weight on the seat to see if it triggered the light to come on. This did trigger the light while the car was parked and at idle. My next test will be to drive around with 30.0 lbs of weight on the seat to confirm the light remains on during the entire test drive. I will then remove the weight to see if the light starts to act flakey as before. The continuous partial weight on the seat possibly created the issue that I saw a few weeks ago but at this point I have not finished my testing of the seat sensor.

Sometimes the calibration is off from the factory. The dealer should re-calibrate the SWS (seat weight sensor) under warranty.
just the play in the seat back itself with the seat shaking around a little is enough to trigger some lights about passenger airbags and side airbags on or off
The older Honda seat weight sensors were film type membrane that went between the seat cushion and seat cover. In the new cars the passenger's seat itself actually floats on springs... so what Nix is saying is accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Back