Delay in power steering.

mlhil

Has anyone else noticed a delay in the power steering activating . Twice now I have started the car and had no power steering for approximately 5 to 7 seconds, after that it seems normal. This is on a low mileage 2012 si coupe. I went to look under the hood an realized I don't even know where to look for a bad connection or anything. I guess back to the dealer.

Well, theres not much you can check since the hydraulic powersteering has been converted over to the electric powersteering. I would take it to the dealership. Being only a few secs, the ECU might not even pick it up or throw a code. Might be trickey to prove it to them unless it happens all the time.

This brings to mind something I always do when starting my car or mc.......... I turn the key on and wait for it to cycle all the flashing lights on the dash(power up) before starting it. my thought is, it's like a computer, needs to up load all the info 1st.
I don't have a clue if this would help your situation, and don't expect anyone to do it, because it takes about 5 sec. to complete.

Thanks for the idea, I checked and it did not throw a code. So maybe I will wait a bit. I usually wait a bit before taking off so it could have been doing this for awhile, I will certainly pay attention now. Thanks.

We have a 2012 ex as well as the si and the si has 10k on it now and it is definitely different than it used to be. I talked to the dealer and they said nothing in their computer from honda and since it did not throw a code they really would have to feel the problem. Intermittent problems are the worst. If it craps out going down the road I could make the papers, cool.

Back