Here are the pictures from the trip:

baiestpaul.jpg

Baie St-Paul, Quebec.

stlawrencelowtide.jpg

Gulf of St Lawrence in low tide.

moosechairs.jpg

Moose Chairs.

stlawrencebikes.jpg

Our bikes against the Gulf of St Lawrence.

turbine.jpg

Massive turbine at the Manicouagan 2 dam/hydroelectric plant.

transformers.jpg

Huge field of transformers en route to the Manicouagan 5 dam.

magalicooking.jpg

Magali cooking some freeze dried chicken gumbo by our motel room after a long day's ride.

manic5arch.jpg

Manicouagan 5 dam is an arch and buttress dam. Here is a view from up close of one of the arches.

manic5view.jpg

View from the top of the dam.

manic5.jpg

Here is the Manicouagan 5 dam. It's very large.

manicouaganbikes.jpg

The Quebec 389 north is about 2/3 unpaved past Manicouagan 5. The gravel begins and so does the epic scenery and sense of complete remoteness.

389bikes.jpg

Our bikes crossing over a mining railway on the 389.

quebectrain.jpg

This train is being loaded up for processing.

labradorborder.jpg

We have reached Labrador through Quebec successfully!

labradorbikes.jpg

The black spruce trees here are beautiful and scrubby looking. There is an almost unlimited amount of them as far as you can see in Labrador.

valleyriver.jpg

Crossing over the Valley River past Churchill Falls.

muskratfalls.jpg

Muskrat falls about 20 miles west of Happy Valley-Goose Bay. In less than 2 years this will be all dammed up.

happyvalleygoosebayroad.jpg

The road just outside of Happy Valley-Goose Bay is in fantastic condition and is absolutely gorgeous. This part of Labrador is all scrubby trees on top of huge sand dunes. It's wild, very remote and incredible.

labradorsunset.jpg

Sunset outside of Port Hope-Simpson, Labrador.

labradorcoast.jpg

The coastal highlands of Labrador. Cue the music from Braveheart. Pictures cannot do this place justice. The riding here was very difficult. They had freshly graded the road with the sand/gravel mixture that makes your bike skate all over the place (it's like marbles on top of sand). The road twists and turns through hills with incredible open ocean crosswinds and there is traffic everywhere raising dust that can blind you for 30 seconds. While the scenery was incredible, it felt even better to complete the gravel section of the trans-Labrador highway which must have been approximately 1200kms of gravel along a 1417km leg from Manicouagan 5.

labradorcoast2.jpg

Cliffs on the coast of Labrador.

lanselamour.jpg

Lighthouse at L'Anse L'Amour, Labrador.

labradorfishingboats.jpg

Fishing boats by the ferry dock in Blanc-Sablon, Quebec.

newfoundlandcoast.jpg

The new day of riding was mostly overcast and periodically rainy, but we found some nice scenery on the way from St Barbe to Gros Morne National Park.

thearches.jpg

The arches provincial park in Newfoundland.

westernbrookpondtrail.jpg

We took a boat tour of Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne national park. This trail leads to the boat.

westernbrookpond.jpg

This is the view inside of Western Brook Pond.

westernbrookpondface.jpg

Rock face in Western Brook Pond.

pissingmarefalls.jpg

Pissing Mare Falls at the end of Western Brook Pond. What a silly name for such a grand place.

grosmornestars.jpg

With the absence of any significant source of lights, the stars out in the park are pretty visible on a clear night.

grosmornemountain.jpg

Gros Morne mountain. We decided it'd be a fun idea to hike up here. It is about 7-8 hours round trip and a bit brutal on the way back since you're scrambling over loose rocks, primitive rough trail and with little energy left. It was great to do it but I'm not in a rush to do it again next week.

grosmornemountainsummit.jpg

The view from the summit of Gros Morne mountain.

grosmornebakersbrookpond.jpg

Overlooking Baker's Brook Pond on the north side of the mountain.

stjohnsstreets.jpg

The colourful houses in St John's, Newfoundland.

stjohnsport.jpg

The port of St John's.

stjohnsharbour.jpg

Overlooking the harbour of St John's from Signal Hill.

bikescapespear.jpg

Our bikes at the easternmost tip of North America - Cape Spear.

argentiaislands.jpg

The islands by the ferry port in Argentia.

capebreton.jpg

The next day of riding was from North Sydney, Nova Scotia up the Cabot Trail. There was some nice scenery along the way.

cabottrail.jpg

Most people think of this particular section of road when planning to do the Cabot Trail. It's brief, but beautiful.

fiveislands.jpg

We camped at Five Islands, Nova Scotia. The tides on the bay of Fundy are the most extreme in the world and made for constant entertainment at the shore.

mainesunset.jpg

Sunset along Route 1 in Maine.

mtwashingtonrailway.jpg

The cog railway on Mount Washington. Pretty wild engineering here.

mtwashingtonview.jpg

Here is the view from the top of Mount Washington. We had perfect weather. It definitely felt like we had reached our goals - and then some.

bikesontopoftheworld.jpg

Our bikes on top of the world.

:drooling:

Do you guys have radios to talk each other while riding?

Extremely wonderful - absolutely raw beauty.

I've been on route 1 in Maine on my H-D, and stopped for lobster in Camden. I also rode it to the top of Mt. Washington, and was fortunate with the weather as you were. Did you get your stickers for the bikes? Was your route straight home from New Hampshire then?

Thank you for the great pics.

:drooling:

Do you guys have radios to talk each other while riding?

We do! We use some Sena bluetooth headsets. Pretty awesome since we have very good range, the batteries have been amazing and I can stream music from my iTelephone for the boring parts :)

Extremely wonderful - absolutely raw beauty.

I've been on route 1 in Maine on my H-D, and stopped for lobster in Camden. I also rode it to the top of Mt. Washington, and was fortunate with the weather as you were. Did you get your stickers for the bikes? Was your route straight home from New Hampshire then?

Thank you for the great pics.

We do have the stickers for the bikes! In the last picture, you can see mine freshly applied on the top case. Magali's is on the other side. I'm very happy you enjoyed the pics.

I found that 250 miles/day on my bike was fairly pleasant. Although, with some of the gravel roads you were on, that would make for a very long day.

Back