Difference in Si and non Si suspension?

CivicCanuck

North
Vehicle Model
Civic
Curious, it seems that some manufacturers list different items for the Si and non Si cars. K-sport lists the same coil over kit though for both. Eibach lists different springs for both the Si and non Si.

I checked the body service manual and from what I can tell, it seems that they share the same mounting points, so possibly the Si cars get a bit heavier spring, or possibly a different installed height, or both. ( where the lower spring mount is located on the factory strut )

I would like to purchase the Si HFP kit for my LX sedan, as I don't want a lot of drop, but would like to increase the spring rate as well as a better damper. I have looked into the Koni inserts for the front, and the rear shocks to go with them. If I bought the HFP kit, would anyone here be interested in the bare dampers. ( I just want the springs )

Why I would like to stick to close to the factory height: A gap between the tire and fender doesn't bother me, and messing up the roll centers and bump steer aren't on my short list. Of course, an alignment is going to be needed one way or the other.

It appears that the Si and the LX have different front knuckles. Hmm. This may be more than just a simple swap to gain more performance.

Spring rates & sway bar thickness are higher in the SI. Someone put SI springs on their non-SI and the ride height was essentially the same to stock. It really didn't lower the car. If you're after koni, you may want to talk with RedShiftChris

It appears that the Si and the LX have different front knuckles. Hmm. This may be more than just a simple swap to gain more performance.

The camber bolts are different diameters between the EX and Si; so you cannot use the front strut/shock from one on the other. The front and rear springs will work though. And the Koni strut inserts will fit in either the EX or Si; so that can be done to either.

Chris

The camber bolts are different diameters between the EX and Si; so you cannot use the front strut/shock from one on the other. The front and rear springs will work though. And the Koni strut inserts will fit in either the EX or Si; so that can be done to either.

Chris
Good to know! I figured that if there was a difference in the part numbers there may be a difference in the way the knuckle was machined, I was thinking the built in angles machined may be different, but I was not counting on the camber bolt being different diameters. I take it the Si is bigger. I work in a shop that has a 20 hp drill press, a milling machine and every other tool known to man so if need be I can enlarge the holes in the knuckles.

Next question, is the C-C distance between the bolts the same? If not, the knuckles aren't that terribly expensive, but then I would also need a hub, bearing, camber bolts and other associated parts.

Thanks for the heads up Chris!

The knuckle may be a different size because the Si generally has larger front brakes than the non-si versions. It could be due to mounting points and stress for braking.

of the stock springs/swaybars (side by side), or what are you referring to?

Curious, it seems that some manufacturers list different items for the Si and non Si cars. K-sport lists the same coil over kit though for both. Eibach lists different springs for both the Si and non Si.

I checked the body service manual and from what I can tell, it seems that they share the same mounting points, so possibly the Si cars get a bit heavier spring, or possibly a different installed height, or both. ( where the lower spring mount is located on the factory strut )

I would like to purchase the Si HFP kit for my LX sedan, as I don't want a lot of drop, but would like to increase the spring rate as well as a better damper. I have looked into the Koni inserts for the front, and the rear shocks to go with them. If I bought the HFP kit, would anyone here be interested in the bare dampers. ( I just want the springs )

Why I would like to stick to close to the factory height: A gap between the tire and fender doesn't bother me, and messing up the roll centers and bump steer aren't on my short list. Of course, an alignment is going to be needed one way or the other.

The Yen has depreciated about 20% this year against the U.S. Dollar, meaning either higher profit margins there or lower import prices here.... or both. I mentioned this to Paul (at College Hills) and he hasn't heard of any price reductions yet. But it's apparent that other dealers are beginning to mark a few things down, or are at least competitive with CHH. HondaPartsCheap had a slightly better price on my entire list of OEM replacement parts (about $2,000 in rock damage) but the extra HFP kit was the big one.

Last edited:
Did you price it with forum rewards pricing?

Did you price it with forum rewards pricing?

:yeahthat: It helps! Usually makes it a couple $$(+ or -) from any other Honda online parts dealers. I tend to give the nod to CHH since they have never done me wrong and they ship though UPS. Paul always if super quick at answering any questions I send him on here. Paul is the man! CollegeHillsHonda

Back