difficulty slotting into first in 2014 Civic Si

greenhorn

CT
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I have just begun to notice that in my 2014 Civic Si, as I am slowing down and downshifting, it's pretty hard to slot 1st until the car comes to a stop - In my other car, i had this problem when the synchros in the first gear started wearing out, and the gearbox needed to be overhauled.

I read that this happens with honda gearboxes, but am finding it hard to believe that honda put an unsynchronized first gear in an otherwise perfect gearbox when my POS indian hatch has a synchronized.

Thoughts?

What’s your mileage at, and how many miles on the manual transmission fluid?

I'm at around 70k miles. I bought it as a CPO, and from the service records, it doesn't look like the oil has been changed.

Why am I trying to downshift to first - isn't that what you're supposed to do when you are coming to a full stop at a traffic light?

I'm at around 70k miles. I bought it as a CPO, and from the service records, it doesn't look like the oil has been changed.

Why am I trying to downshift to first - isn't that what you're supposed to do when you are coming to a full stop at a traffic light?

How fast are you going when you're trying to shift into 1st? Going any faster than a few mph and you won't be able to downshift to 1st.

I agree. Try changing the fluid but as others have said, downshifting to first while moving is always going to be tough. I don't think I have ever done that in any manual car. I usually shift into 1st after I've come to a stop.

Back