Discuss dealership experiences in this forum

Criswell Honda in Germantown,MD did a great job for me, the my salesman was great, wasn't pushy at all. he pretty much let me decide on the price(if that sounds right). I'm surprised they let me test drive the car, i've heard stories of dealers wanting money down or something before. And for them to actually have a Si in stock is surprising, they had it stock for about month when i got it. And i live in the DC-Metro area, which cars like the Si don't last long on the lot. The other dealers i contacted had to order the car for me. With one charging me over $6k in markups. Also got 2yrs of free oil changes :cucumber: Like Eric Carter said in his post, you have to find the right salesperson to get a fair price.

My email to the General Manager at Planet Honda in Union, NJ:

On December 28th my husband was quoted a price of price of $14,500 for a 2012 Honda Civic LX with manual transmission over the phone by Alexandra. Since we had a great buying experience at Planet Honda in 2006 when purchasing our Odyssey, my husband and I drove 25 miles with the intention of buying the car. We test drove an automatic with Henry Li, our former salesman, and loved the car. We knew that the car with the manual transmission would be in later the next week.

When it was time to discuss payment, we were told that a $995 appearance package was a mandatory addition to the price. We explained that the price of $14,500 is what was quoted to us not $15,495. After two supposed attempts by Henry to get approval to drop the $995, he clearly indicated to us that the $995 would be dropped. We discussed payment options and Henry went to value our trade in.

Upon his return we were informed that the "big boss" will not allow the $995 to be dropped from the sale. We got up to walk out and he spoke to the "big boss" again who denied the request. I then spoke to the "big boss" himself, Eddie Amorin, and explained that I am a repeat customer and how disappointed I was that this wasn't working out. He told me that he never OK'd dropping the $995 and when I asked “So are you saying your sales person lied to me?” his reply was "You must have misunderstood." He then told me to get out of the dealership and that he didn't care about wasting 2 hours of my time.

The General Sales Manager has made buying a Honda as sleazy an experience as buying a Chevy

That's unfortunate.

In my personal experience, the two times I bought a Honda, I paid MSRP because both required waiting at least 3 months due to intense demand.

The best deal I ever made was on a brand new Chevy about two years ago.

Well, it is kind of easier to get a big discount from higher tier car brands/models. I only got $300 off for my 2007 Si while my mom got over $6000 off for her 2011 C300.

Now I know who to go to when I buy a Corvette or Camaro.

This is how my deal worked. You have to have leverage and God working out the deal not you. We were looking at used Civics. Went to Bankston Honda (AutoNation) Lewisville, TX salesperson Sean Song. Last few days of Jan '12. Car for my daughter. I was trying to develop my leverage to buy a used car not a new one.

Told Sean we wanted to look at a used 09-11 Civic coupe. He said he had a couple '11 EX's. He also said they had great deals on their new '12 models he wanted us to drive both. We did. We were not ready to make an offer since we were early in our search and we were considering other cars. He wanted to show us what they could do so it came out to $19440 for the new LX out the door said thanks and we would think about it. Next day found a used '11 at a VW dealership. Told the salesperson I was not ready to deal because my daughter was not with me. He offered to work out a deal but contingent on my daughter approving it the next day IN WRITING. We worked out a deal. Called Sean the next day and said I had a deal on a used '11 LX but the deal was contingent on my daughter's approval. He got it down to $17,250 out the door. Took about 10 minutes. My daughter liked the new car deal better so we returned the used one and bought the new one.

Sean did a great job with us. I buy used cars but from all the research I have done and for as little time it took to negotiate the deal we got a fantastic deal. Sean's manger Tim was excellent also. Great experience. No pressure and really professional.

My dealership was pretty sloppy ... one day before I was to pick up my civic the dealer called and said they could not give me the car with the already installed dash kit unless I was willing to pay $400 for it (so they gave me another car from their stock) then after they installed the XM they left out the adaptor for the bluetooth .. so I had to come back for that. They pissed me off a few times but I let it go as no other dealership in my area could beat the price and trade in value I bought this at.

I'm in the market for a Civic Si Sedan with summer tires but no navigation, preferably blue. Edmunds lists the MSRP at $23,375, dealer invoice at $21,578, and the TMV for my area at $21,783.

I let Edmunds email blast the local dealers for quotes, and they all wanted to get me to come in so they could sell me something else on their lot. From browsing all the dealer inventories over the past several months, I know that no one has this particular model in stock, but I wanted to find out about ordering one. Most dealers did not seem too keen on that.

John Eagle Honda of Dallas, however, came back with a quote of $20,378. Instead of trying to tell me that I could find something that would work for me on their lot, they confirmed that the exact model I wanted was not to be found anywhere locally, and that they'd be happy to order one directly from Honda. They were up front about how long it would take, and that the price could go up between $600–1000 depending on changes in dealer incentives between now and when it arrives.

Now, I'm a bit skeptical about that quote. I understand how dealer incentives like holdbacks and rebates can allow them to sell a car for less than the published invoice and still make money, but it surprises me that a dealer would open with a quote that depends on such things—especially on a vehicle they don't have in stock. Even if the price goes up by $1000, it still comes in under Edmund's TMV, which is really my only barometer of a good deal.

I ran that quote by a couple of the other dealers who contacted me and they were similarly skeptical. A few suspected that it did not include destination (though John Eagle assures me it does) and at any rate there was no way they could match it.

So for the time being, I've asked John Eagle Honda to place an order for me during their next allocation in April, and hopefully I'm able to get my hands on one in May or June. I hope I'm not actually waiting for the other shoe to drop.

put in a zipcode for highland park/dallas-

this is from truecar.com

dallas.png

$20,378 sounds totally out of the ballpark for the si sedan with summer tires. Invoice is $21,8XX & true dealer cost at $20,952

The price they quoted you is below their actual cost. I would go to the dealership and have them put it in writing, and have everything on paper. I just don't see that price happening at all.

Here's what they emailed me. I guess this counts as "in writing" but the fine print allows them to claim "arithmetic errors" so I don't put much stock in it. The guy I'm working with seems really above board, so I hate to think that there are shenanigans afoot.

2012 Honda Civic
Si w/Summer Tires 6-Speed Manual 4dr Sedan
Mfr. Code: FB6E5CJXW
Reserve Vehicle
Image.aspx

MSRP: $23,375
John Eagle Honda's Price
$20,378*

Special financing is available for all 2012 Honda Civic purchasers who qualify with approved credit (available through 04/30/2012). 0.9% for 36 months, 1.9% for 48 months, 1.9% for 60 months..
*Your price quote is valid for 5 days and includes destination and handling, but does not include Tax, License, Doc Fees, or Dealer Added Accessories. We reserve the right to modify this quote to correct arithmetic errors. Incentive and pricing programs are subject to change by Honda without notice. These vehicles may not be on our lot but are available upon request.

maybe they plan on adding 2 grand for doc fees and the license? :shady: The fact that they specifically state they can modify the quote is a red flag for me. Email them back asking for the fees in writing. (again maybe pointless if they can modify the quote)

The way it was explained to me, the dealer's monthly "move" for April will fall on the first or second Friday of the month. That's when the dealer will find out from Honda whether their allocation will allow them to place an order for the model I want. If so, they will place the order, and at that time they will require a $500 deposit, but they did say it was refundable upon delivery. I probably need to get more details on what that means.

This is all new to me. I'm not sure how allocations work between Honda and the dealers, and what the deposit is for, since it looks like I can change my mind and get it refunded?

So far my only contact with the dealer has been via email. If I find out in April that the order is going through, I'll visit the dealership to pay the deposit, and that will give me a chance to get everything in writing, including that quote that appears to be too good to be true, and their deposit refund policy.

I've heard that all Si's are built in Japan, and an email I received from the dealer indicated the same. They said something about production being limited since the tsunami.

However, the VIN's on every 2012 Si I've been able to locate indicate they are assembled in Alliston, Ontario. What gives?

Are the assembled both places? Or could it be that the engine or other parts are built in Japan but the cars are assembled in Canada? Or is the dealer merely perpetuating a myth that Si's all come from Japan?

various car parts are made all over the globe. Production was disrupted due to the flooding in thailand - where some parts are made. Those parts were needed to assemble cars in Canada. The si is made in Ontario. If they order you a car, it will be produced in Ontario, not Japan.

Back