DIY DIY mud flap cosmestic repair

Turkeyfeast123

20160925_084223.jpg 20160924_224251.jpg 20160924_223846.jpg 20160924_223923.jpg 20160925_080717.jpg 20160925_083704.jpg 20160925_083718.jpg Hey guys, I got a cheap and easy way to repair your mud flaps without having to buy new ones. This DIY will cost about $10 (more if you don't have some tools).

I will post pictures in order of the steps.

First, take off your old mud flaps, you will need the tools seen in the first picture (needle nose pliers, flat head and phillips head screw drivers, sand paper or block, and quarter inch small rachet with phillips head attachment). Also, you need some type of black gloss spray paint.

The mud flaps in the front of the car are held in place by 3 phillips head screws with washer built in.

The rear ones are held in by 2 phillips head screws and 1 pastic fastener.

Once you have taken off the mud flaps, inspect them for any dings or cuts in the plastic, use the sand paper or block sand paper to even out all damaged areas. If some are cracked do your best to repair those too (crazy glue etc.) Sand the entire piece lightly, being sure to pay attention to the visible side that will be seen when thet are put back on your car.

After sanding them, prepare a well ventilated area and something to lay the flaps on or hang them. I used my backyard and some paperclips to hang them from an old clothesline. Secure the flaps and make sure you can hit both sides with the paint. (Sorry, couldn't upload this picture, too big?...)

Spray paint the mud flaps (I did 8 coats of paint, which sounds like a lot but it isnt because of how deep some of the gashes were in mine), use the whole can if necessary. Wait about 5 to 10 mins in between coats, spray in the same motion each time to prevent dripping or uneven lines.

Wait at least 12 to 16 hours for them to fully dry, then reinstall them back onto your car. Be sure to clean the surface of your car where the flaps were previously, they will be very dirty when you take them off, I used a microfiber cloth but anything will work.

It doesnt matter what screws and fasteners go where on the re-install so dont worry about it.

P.S. I had some repair work to do to my car in the place where the flaps sit. They sit on another piece of plastic and that has to line up with the fender and my rear passenger one was messed up. I went to Lowes to buy a few fastenrs that would fit into the holes on the car itself. Go to the hardware section, they have a few draws specific for automotive.

Admire your work and you're done! Total time of actual work, around an hour taking into account the drying times.

Enjoy!

Looks very nice. Question, on the back right the mud flap screwed into the rear panel broke up from the rear panel so the screw is doing nothing and now the mud flap just slides back and forth. Anyway to fix it or should I just screw it anywhere on the flap and into the rear panel considering no one would really notice. I like to try to do things as they originally were if possible, but everyone I ask says I'd need to buy a new rear bumper.

DKrwD42.jpg

GU2KIkO.jpg

Last edited:
yeah I'd just go a few inches up from the crack and make sure you're not going to hit anything on the back side.

All good, went too high at first at it wouldn't cover the whole area so lowered it and all good. Glad I fixed that small issue finally.
u0YPf7j.jpg

Back