DIY DIY Nightshades tail light tinting

ranger11x

Ft.Bragg
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
coupe
Hello everyone Im writing my first D.I.Y ever on a forum. I kinda used some guidence from another thread on some random forum for small pointers but most of it is experience. This is the proper way to permanently tint your tails with VHT Nightshades (the rustoleum works but not near as well as id like) so here goes

Tools needed
Knife or small flat head screwdriver
8mm deep well socket and ratchet
800,100,1500,2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper (local autoparts store)
VHT nightshades and fusion plastic clear coat
rubbing compound
swirlx or plasticx
car wax
degreaser (gasoline,brake cleaner,electric part cleaner will work great)
couple of rags and microfiber cloths
latex gloves
oven
patience and beer

first open and empty your trunk completly and locate these 3 plastic clips

take them out using knife or plastic screwdriver NOTE there is a small space between the base and the part that pops up, stick the tool in the small space and carefully pry them up and pull them out there are three on each side

Pull off the trunk latch plastic cover piece to be able to fully pull back the carpet

pull back the carpet exposing the back of the lights

locate your bulbs and rotate them and remove them from the light. there is also a metal clip attatched to the light stick your screwdriver or knife between it and the plastic part its attatched to on the light to remove it. also you will need to remove the plug that goes into the reverse light, pull the light out after removing the 4 8MM nuts holding the light in and removing the light.

slowly remove the light from the car and be careful not to tear the gasket that keeps water out. carefully remove the gasket and set it aside you will need to reuse it.

bring the tail lights to your sanding area and have a bowl of water to keep the sand paper wet.

start with the 800 grit sand paper using smooth evenly pressured strokes in the same direction until the light is completely sanded. then with a wet paper towel wipe down the light and let dry to ensure you got the whole light. remember the pain is in the prep not the paint

move UP in grit until the light is completly sanded with the 2000 grit sand paper. let completly dry and use your degreaser to clean up the light and let dry, do not touch it with your fingers as you will get oils on the light this is where your gloves come in handy

bring them to your enclosed painting area (i used an old box) and follow the directions on the can for applying the tint. I personaly hold the can 6 to 7 inches away to give a nice coat with out drips holding farther away will lead to a speckled coat and require more coats resulting in darker lights (cop magnet)

i used about three coats

let dry for 20 minutes between each coat on the last coat preheat your oven to 250 degrees and let bake for 5 minutes with the door open this hardens the paint and it lasts longer and will not fade over time

remove from the oven and let them cool off to room temp take them back outside and grab your clear coat
apply about 5-7 coats this ensures good thickness and protection and adds a glossy look to the finished product
it will go back to looking like crap but dont worry you will be sanding again (ohh joy)

take the lights back to your sanding area and repeat the process using lighter pressure and more strokes it will become cloudy again like before you painted.(starting with the 800 grit to the 2000 grit, same technique as before)

wipe them down with a wet microfiber cloth multiple times to ensure you got all the little clear coat particles off and use your rubbing compound until is no longer cloudy. get out your polish and apply as directed finish up with a nice coat of wax. reinstall the lights (reverse of removal ) make sure you put the gasket back on before putting the light back on. Enjoy your newly awesome tinted tail lights with full visibility!!

I will post pics of the finished product tomorrow as it is night time now

Looks like it turned out good. Any pics of them installed on your car?

I did mine but no dice on the oven,my gf would kick my you know what if I put those in our 1700 new oven.mine came out pretty good,4 coats of vht medium thickness,and 6 coats of clear.not bad for the first time.
du2atypu.jpg

I let the vht cure for 48 hours and then let the clear cure for 48 hours.and used plastic-x for the final polish.

I'm real happy with them,hopefully my next stiff will come tomorrow,if not it's going to be 2 weeks to put it all on:(

Back