Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
I just got my car back from having the pistons and rings replaced. My mechanic told me to take it easy on the engine for about 1500km's until the new rings settle in. I'm itching to be able to drive my car like it's meant to be driven..... :vtec:
Hopefully that's the end of my oil burning issues.
I also had my Bluetooth microphone replaced while it was in getting fixed because I couldn't use the handsfree. Everyone told me that there was a really bad whistle in the background while I was on the phone. I haven't had a chance to test the new mic but from what I've read on the forum the new mic should take care of the sound issue. :clapping:

I just got my car back from having the pistons and rings replaced. My mechanic told me to take it easy on the engine for about 1500km's until the new rings settle in. I'm itching to be able to drive my car like it's meant to be driven..... :vtec:
Hopefully that's the end of my oil burning issues.
I also had my Bluetooth microphone replaced while it was in getting fixed because I couldn't use the handsfree. Everyone told me that there was a really bad whistle in the background while I was on the phone. I haven't had a chance to test the new mic but from what I've read on the forum the new mic should take care of the sound issue. :clapping:
Hope all is well now, do they pull the engine for this? Everything on your Si look the same, plastic cowl, body panels etc...I'd be paranoid they'd scratch or dent my ride somehow!?

Hope all is well now, do they pull the engine for this? Everything on your Si look the same, plastic cowl, body panels etc...I'd be paranoid they'd scratch or dent my ride somehow!?
Car looks the same thankfully. I'm not sure if they pull the engine right out but I would think they have to because the pistons have to be replaced so you would have to remove the connecting rods from the crank.
Time will tell if the problem is fixed....

Car looks the same thankfully. I'm not sure if they pull the engine right out but I would think they have to because the pistons have to be replaced so you would have to remove the connecting rods from the crank.
Time will tell if the problem is fixed....

The "Honda way" is to replace the pistons and rings without removing the engine. Its a lot of up and down with the hoist. Head comes off, oil pan comes off, pistons pushed out the top from underneath. But not everyone does it the "Honda way".

Last edited:
You have to let the vehicle sit on level ground for 15-20 minutes after running the engine before checking the oil to get an accurate measurement. It takes that long for the oil to run completely back into the crankcase. If you have an Si oil consumption issue, believe me, you'd know - its not subtle.
So I used your instructions and I came up with the same measurement. Just above halfway between the two dots. It has been ~750 miles since oil change.

When I did the oil and filter change I added exactly 4.4 quarts of oil as per specs. It was around the full mark when I checked it after filling up, but that was before running the engine. So the discrepancy I have between now and 750 miles ago, dipstick-wise, is ½ a quart. But, is ½ a quart around equal to the amount of oil that would stay in the filter once the engine has been started again after the oil change? Maybe that's where my ½ quart went? (that, and getting stuck in the contours of the cylinder head/valvetrain).

Last edited:
So I used your instructions and I came up with the same measurement. Just above halfway between the two dots. It has been ~750 miles since oil change.

When I did the oil and filter change I added exactly 4.4 quarts of oil as per specs. It was around the full mark when I checked it after filling up, but that was before running the engine. So the discrepancy I have between now and 750 miles ago, dipstick-wise, is ½ a quart. But, is ½ a quart around equal to the amount of oil that would stay in the filter once the engine has been started again after the oil change? Maybe that's where my ½ quart went? (that, and getting stuck in the contours of the cylinder head/valvetrain).

That sounds about right. I'd top up to the top mark and start monitoring again.

Yeah, I'd check in another 500-750 miles to compare where you're at.

So, I made my appointment for a dealer near my work to look into my oil consumption Wednesday morning. I explained the whole thing to the service advisor who seemed cool and even gave him the TSB # which he noted for the tech in the service ticket. Wish me luck!

Kirk

I know the last post on this was 5 months ago but I just bought a 2012 si with 16,000 miles and its going to the shop soon for oil usage test, but i was curious where that notification with the vin numbers came from. Was that directly from Honda? Because i talked to a service guy and hes already giving me the whole 1 quart for every 1k miles bs and my car falls into that affected vin category.

I've had mine since June 2012, I only have 8700 miles but never burned oil,I used royal purple on my first change.

I know the last post on this was 5 months ago but I just bought a 2012 si with 16,000 miles and its going to the shop soon for oil usage test, but i was curious where that notification with the vin numbers came from. Was that directly from Honda? Because i talked to a service guy and hes already giving me the whole 1 quart for every 1k miles bs and my car falls into that affected vin category.
Call corporate and make the dealership do it. Don't deal with what I delt with

The VIN range is directly from Honda. How much oil is yours using?

I was planning on calling corporate because the service guy seems to already be giving me the run around. And for my oil usage, I dont know for sure as I wasnt thinking I needed to keep an eye on it with an almost new car, but I did an oil change about a month ago filled it to top hole on the dipstick, then my oil light came on yesterday and the dipstick had nothing on it. So im going to keep an eye on it now but I dont agree with them that an almost new car should be burning any oil, as many of you have already stated. And also thanks for getting back to me, im new to forums and its nice to have some help.

Any idea how many miles you drove since you changed it? Like how many miles in that 1 month?

probably anywhere from 1500 to 2000 miles in that month i work a ways away from my house so its mostly highway so its not getting beat.

Webby or anyone, I've noticed my car burns oil lately, and just recently found out my VIN falls under the service bulletin, 2013 civic si with 28k miles. I'm running PRL stage 2 turbo for 8000 miles. What would you guys do? I've read they should replace the rings and pistons if the engine was never touched internally?

Back