Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
:( they should know how much oil the car takes...Did you end up draining some oil?

Oh they claimed they knew how much oil the Si took, but I kept reminding them its a 2.4 not an 8th Gen 2.0, they said "we always put 5 quarts in all the Si's!" pulled out my iPhone, opened up owners manual in iBooks and showed them 4.45 quarts WITH filter. They said well the oil techs said it would be fine!? The oil level on the dipstick is above top hole right to the bottom of that bend in the dipstick, so I guess it will be ok, if not then they're liable! It does run AWESOME on the Honda Ultimate Full Synthetic 0/20 oil!!!!

Scan 4.jpegScan 4.jpeg
"AFTER 1500 MILES DRIVING MY 9TH CIVIC, I CHANGE THE OIL AND ITS SO WORTH IT" I RECOMMEND.....>>april 2012....
SORRY I DONT HAVE PICS TO SHOW HOW DARK THE OIL AND TOUCH THE USE OIL YOU WILL FEEL SOME FINE METALS IN THE OIL.....

UPDATE: 2012 CIVIC Si CRYSTAL BLACK, 3150 MILES ALREADY....

EVEN BEFORE I READ ABOUT THIS ISSUES OF LOSING OIL. ON MY OIL CHANGE I USED MOBILE ADVANCE SYNTHETIC OIL 0W20 AND HONDA FILTER FROM DEALER. I FILLED MY ENGINE THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT OF OIL 4.1QT., BUT I EXCEED TO 4.5QT AND AFTER CLEAN-UP N SETTLE FOR 30MINS. I CHECK THE OIL LEVEL, IT DID NOT EVEN RICH THE MAX LEVEL (LAST DOT) OF THE LIP DIP.

THIS MORNING, I CHECK MY OIL LEVEL AND NOTICE THE LEVEL WAS JUST 2MM ABOVE THE MIN LEVEL (FIRST DOT) OF THE LIP DIP. I DID NOT HAVE ANY WARNING MESSAGE OR INDICATOR LIGHT IN MY DASH OR I-MID. SO, I ADDED THE REMAINING OIL I HAVE, WHICH IS THE 0.5QT REMAINDER OF THE 5QT I BOUGHT. THE OIL LEVEL I HAVE NOW IS THE SAME LEVEL BEFORE, BELOW THE MAX POINT (LAST DOT).

AFTER MY 1ST OIL CHANGE 1500 MILES 2000 MILES, I STARTED REVVING HIGH ON ALL SIX GEARS (1ST TO 4TH GEAR, REVVING BETWEEN 3700RPM TO 5000RPM). BUT, I'M NOT HITING VTEC ZONES. I KNOW AROUND 5200RPM VTEC LIGHT WILL SHOW TO INDICATE, I AM STARTING TO HIT VTEC. BETWEEN 2300 MILES TO 2900 MILES, I TRIED HITTING VTEC FROM 1ST TO 4TH GEAR WITHOUT EXCEEDING 6700RPM AND IT HAPPEN ONLY 3X.

THERE ARE SOME TIMES I HIT VTEC ON A LAUNCH FROM A STOP LIGHT MOST ON 1ST AND 2ND NOT EXCEEDING 5700RPM. ON A HIGHWAY, WITH A 3RD GEAR PULL, I TRIED VTEC FROM 3RD TO 4TH GEAR NOT EXCEEDING 6300RPM.

I BELIEVED, WITH THIS I LOSS OR BURN OIL AND HAVE TO ADD 0.5QT. NEXT WEEK, I WILL BE PERFORMING MY 2ND OIL CHANGE SAME BRAND AND GRADE OF OIL AND FILTER. AFTER THE OIL CHANGE, I WILL DRIVE WITHOUT VTEC (UP TO 4600RPM, IF NEED) AND I WILL CHECK WEEKLY THE LEVEL OF OIL.

I WILL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED AND SAFE DRIVING.

UPDATE>>>>>
2012 Civic Si @ 3351 miles

This morning I went to DCH Academy Honda, I inquire and explained to them what's going on to my Civic Si. When the mechanic called me, he asked me question what did I do and use in the car and I answered the way i explained on the top. After, all the explanation I did, he show me this article from a file they have dated August 2008 pg. 4 of 8 (see copy attached). The attachment speak for its self and I am an awake if this kind. Because, no one have told or explained me on this matter. I feel bad and idiot :pout: sorry to my Civic Si for what i did, but even thought i'm losing oil already at the time of my 1st oil change....

Then, he told me one (1) quart per 1000 miles is the tolerable oil consumption, which means that is normal per Honda. So, we come up to a conclusion. We have to do the Oil Consumption Test. Off-course, I try to negotiate that i don't have to pay the new oil change and filter they have to put. I even told them I have extra oil filter from honda that i bought 2 months ago and oil as well (Mobile1 0w20). But, I fail spending my $50 for the Test.

Now, I have to drive 1000 miles and go back for follow-up test. I hope i went spend anymore and I hope for the best on my Civic Si.

Do you think guys I did wrong on any part?

webby
Do you think we should start a thread regarding my attachment article? so, it won't happen to another's what happen to me?

Don't worry that you changed your oil. There are posts I've read where a member swore by changing their oil at 300 miles, again at 1k miles, and then a 3rd change at 3k miles (on every new car they owned). Then they'd follow the maintenance schedule on all future changes. I'm not suggesting people do that, but whatever. Their car was fine down the road.

feel free to post your updates in here though pertaining to the consumption tests.

Bought new, delivered May 12, 2012. Break-in of about 500 - 600 miles of mixed sub 4K rpm driving, rare Vtech hits, but some. Oil = fine. Then about 2,800 miles of vacation diving throughout May. Checked oil on return with about 3,500 miles = at lowest dot. I have continually read to wait for the minder, but with all of the highway driving I wanted to rotate the tires and get the oil changed. I did that at about 3,700 miles.

Checked a week ago (about 4K miles) = slightly above top marker. If anything changes I will post.

Checked mine on the weekend at just under 5000km (roughly 3100 miles) and I was down over a litre putting my oil level at just below the "minimum" notch on the dipstick. Honda added some oil for me today and I'll be going in a few days to get an oil change done. They told me that they couldn't file a complaint regarding oil consumption with Honda until the car was at 15000km but that it "should" burn less as the car gets broken in more. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure to see if it improves!

next oil change.. "you cannot file a complaint until 50,000km"

lol ^ I was just messing, but there is no reason you cannot file a complaint now. That's like saying you can't file complaint about a restaurant you had a bad experience at unless you go there 10 more times.

The r18 engine doesn't have the same oil issue.

I went in today to start my oil consumption test today will keep updated and get myself a free oil change

Clunck

The K20 is notorious for this. (Actually kind of surprised that the K24Z7 is seeing the same issues. Especially that its rev limit is lower.)

From what I've found time and time again, is that Mobil 1 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30 burned off at the rate that many of you have stated. (~1qt/1000-1500mi)
After seeing this on my FG2 repeatedly in stock form, I ended up trying Amsoil 0w-30. Oil loss is minimal, if any, now. Even after being supercharged for ~40k miles (105k on car).

Did noticed SOME oil loss (~1/4 qt) at Deals Gap (Tail of The Dragon) in 2011. If you're not familiar with the road - When driving agressive, you'll be at high rev for ~15mins each direction. Went back earlier this year (2012), with an S2000 filter - After ~5 runs up/down The Dragon, I saw no noticable oil loss.

I believe the additive packages between the two oils (Mobil & Amsoil) fare better for Amsoil's case.

Mine went through a full quart right at 3000 miles. I called my dealer and they said that's probably because the engine's still being broken in and that it may decrease. I'm now at 6700 miles and 15% service life (so I'm due for my first oil change) and I've put in about 3/4 of a quart between 3000 and 6700. Been averaging 29-33 mpg in mostly mixed stop-and-go driving.

I called the dealer a number of times to discuss whether or not I needed an oil change earlier and they consistently told me to drive it until the service life dropped to 20%.

I flamed Honda in my JD Powers survey (6 out of 10 score, overall) mostly because 1 quart in 3000 miles seems excessive to me. (I've had 4 other brand new cars--from 3 different manufacturers--and none of them used ANY oil in the first 3000 miles.) This is my first Honda, though, and it looks like I may need to revise my expectations downward based on some of the other comments in this thread that are suggesting 1 quart per 1000 miles is the norm--or what Honda expects, anyway.

Got my car back. It hasn't burned any oil in 400 miles. It still has low rpm sputter/hesitation and going back to shop today.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Back