Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
My service writer called me today and told me that Honda is not releasing the parts until 10/10/12 so until then I'll continue to have the dealership monitor and record my oil consumption.

I live in Eastern Washington state, I already put 7k miles on my 2012 Si. I went for my 5k oil change at the dealer and I never noticed any oil loss.

i bought a si in june of this years.not even a month after at 4000km i had to bring the car in because there was no oil in the engine.they said i was the third si with that problem in montreal.it is the piston rings that are no gone. long story short after threatening to sue them honda canada put me in a loaner car for two weeks and they ordered a brand new short block from the state. they changed my engine and i got the car back today.it seems to be running fine so far.BTW i had to fight with honda to get a loaner car.

sorry to hear about your issues... keep us posted with how the new engine progresses.

I've burned about 2 quarts oil in 3500 miles... currently at 3700 miles on the car

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

They say nothing is wrong and will have to do and oil consumption test every 3 weeks what a crock of ****

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It sounds like there is a break in period, where the engine consume excessive amounts of oil. After a given period the consumption either drops dramatically, or the engine is rebuilt.

I've not yet read of anyone's experiences with the latter - during or after.

so far, 2 users have had their stuff replaced

cant is at shop with motor pulled apart.lol
Im in western, mass. They did the oil consumtion test. 1 1/2 quart in 1200 miles. It was using oil fast and my check engine light was flickering and the car felt like it was misfiring, sputtery as well as losing power. The honda service manager called honda and called me a day later and said they need my car. Honda just put out a service bulletin about cars that are consuming to much oil and that they may need the pistons and rings replaced. Vtec once or twice a week and I shift before the red anyway at about 6 grand.
Got my car back. It hasn't burned any oil in 400 miles. It still has low rpm sputter/hesitation and going back to shop today.

====
====
====
i bought a si in june of this years.not even a month after at 4000km i had to bring the car in because there was no oil in the engine.they said i was the third si with that problem in montreal.it is the piston rings that are no gone. long story short after threatening to sue them honda canada put me in a loaner car for two weeks and they ordered a brand new short block from the state. they changed my engine and i got the car back today.it seems to be running fine so far.BTW i had to fight with honda to get a loaner car.

2 weeks, 650 miles, no noticeable oil consumption. Oil looks the same. I know it's early but still happy I found this thread. I might have ignored checking the oil. I've had 9 Honda's before this one and checking the oil has always seemed like a waste of time. I have never had to add in between oil changes for 26 years. I'll count that as a blessing after reading this thread.

I'm curious if any of the people with oil burning also used 87 gas?

Not to be stepping in on this thread, since I don't have an Si .
I'd like to say every car and bike I've owned since 1965 (all but one was bought new) has never needed the oil topped off between changes and that any oil drop was barely noticable on the stick. Back then it was 3000m per change, but have had my last mc(Honda) which I now have 45000m+ on, that I have gone to changing every 5000m because Honda recommends 8000m changes. In any case there's never been any loss that the eye can tell.
If someone says it's normal to lose a quart every 1000 then I've been very lucky.
I'm very sorry you peeps are having to deal with this, but Honda needs to own up to it, something is way wrong in my book.

Had to put in a quart yet again btw changes cuz the car started running funny as usual. And I have 1000 miles til my next scheduled change. Going to complain bout this when I go in for 10000 maintenance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - freddi >_<

I'm curious if any of the people with oil burning also used 87 gas?

Just the opposite - We only run 87 and have no oil consumption over 4,000+ miles in New England. We're easy on the gas (rare VTEC) and are averaging over 32 mpg (actual) since new in January (Brrr).
Plan on trying 91 "just 'cause" but have no problem with ping or lack of power (ie getting the Nanny software to engage) when she's goosed with a carload.

well guys my car is in for the oil consumption issue. One day last week my engine oil level light came on. I checked and it was low. I didn't have a problem with the service dept.(although I do work here as a sales consultant). They are taking care of it as we speak. The master tech says that what happens is during deceleration and a gear is engaged, the motor sucks oil out.

I haven't been told that yet if I do....I have talked to the tech and he said that after he is done don't go crazy on it for about 400 miles. That would give the new rings the ability to seat right, and he said I should be good to go.

I haven't been told that yet if I do....I have talked to the tech and he said that after he is done don't go crazy on it for about 400 miles. That would give the new rings the ability to seat right, and he said I should be good to go.
So honda is replacing the rings?!

Back