Downpipe exhaust drone

MadMike

Inland Empire, California
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Sedan
Whats up everyone? I just installed a Full race catted downpipe last Sunday. I noticed the exhaust sound tends to drone when decelerating and really rice sounding when accelerating at certain speeds. Will a complete tune change the sound of the exhaust and probably mellow it out some?

I don't have one yet but from what I have read from other posts is, yes. After a tune and time the drone should subside.

I'm surprised you have drone with that exhaust I have a full race catback with their catted dp and I have 0 drone. Just give it some time

I'm surprised you have drone with that exhaust I have a full race catback with their catted dp and I have 0 drone. Just give it some time
I'll just wait till I'm 100% tuned. See if that makes a difference. I guess I'm getting older an mind loud exhaust now. I remember I had B16a straight pipe no muffler and I could careless. Lol

I have the Full Race catted DP. When I first installed it I was worried it would be too loud. The break-in period is at least 500 miles, but you will notice it calm down significantly. The ricey noise went away after that long for me, the drone got quieter but never fully disappeared since I have it paired with a Skunk2 cat-back, but I love the sound of it. The tone will soften over time and become more round, less harsh, and a little less loud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I have the Full Race catted DP. When I first installed it I was worried it would be too loud. The break-in period is at least 500 miles, but you will notice it calm down significantly. The ricey noise went away after that long for me, the drone got quieter but never fully disappeared since I have it paired with a Skunk2 cat-back, but I love the sound of it. The tone will soften over time and become more round, less harsh, and a little less loud.

Thanks, that is good news to hear.

Just a quick update on this issue. I found out why it sounded like it was droning. The downpipe pushed the exhaust a little further causing the muffler canister to be resting on the rear hanger. Now I have to figure how to address the problem.

I had the same issue with my full race exhaust, the hasport rear and upper help as well as the torque solution exhaust hangers. I haven't had any issues since.

Just a quick update on this issue. I found out why it sounded like it was droning. The downpipe pushed the exhaust a little further causing the muffler canister to be resting on the rear hanger. Now I have to figure how to address the problem.
I had this same issue with my S2 catback. I wasn't sure where all it was hitting since it was also hitting that weird cross bar and rattling around on it, so I had my mechanic put it up on a lift. When he saw what was happening, he offered to take a torch to the mounting bracket and that piece and just bend them out of the way. Stuck a broom handle in the end of the tailpipe (not sure if you could do that with the q300) and just bent it down a few degrees til it was straight. He didn't even charge me for his time. Note: he just heated the hangar to customize the fit, not the pipe itself.

Back