Downshift

Shawn855

Does anybody feel their automatic transmission downshift? I have a new automatic 2013 civic lx and most of the time when slowing down to a stop light, I can feel the car downshifting. Sometimes it downshifts rather hard. Also, its on perfectly flat surfaces, so inclines, or downhills are not a factor. :)

I haven't seen anyone mention this. I would definitely take it to the dealership and have a tech drive with you to see what they think. Does it happen every time?

Definitely take it in if it doesn't feel right.
Hopefully the problem will occur while the tech is in the car with you.

I know I'm late to the party, but...Yes, the car does downshift by itself when slowing down, it's just the clutch packs selecting another gear more appropriate if you were to accelerate again from low speeds. Normal. Does the same thing in every auto trans Honda in my family, L4, and V6.

Last edited:
I've driven a handful of auto Hondas and I cannot recall it ever "downshifting hard" when coming to a stop.

Our 8th does it when braking on a hill. Grade logic I think they call it. I don't feel it on level surfaces. I can only speak for the 8th as it's an auto transmission.

My 7th gen downshifts hard on down hill grades,I feel it when I'm coming back to the house all the time,it's been doing it for 9 years so I think all is good.

Back