Driving a manual car and transitioning from auto

Big-Mike

Hello,

I currently have an auto 07 civic ex. My plan is to get a 13 Si having limited manual experience.

How much experience did you have / recommend before jumping to a manual?

I've never owned a motorcycle but I do have a motorcycle license so I have worked with a manual before. I also found somebody locally who let me use their manual honda fit to practice in for a low fee for about two hours. Shifting was fine. From the start I never had an issue there.

My only somewhat weak spot is starting from a stop and not stalling. By the end I was stalling say 1 out of 15 times.

I'm in south Florida which is relatively flat. Highway exits, overpasses, etc.. do have some elevation change. Nothing like when I lived in NY, but starting out from a stop on a "hill" and not rolling back and/or stalling is a concern. Haven't had to add in the third variable of braking yet while going forward.

I could potentially rent the fit some more, but it's kind of out of the way and local so doesn't really help with my weak points.

Hello,

I currently have an auto 07 civic ex. My plan is to get a 13 Si having limited manual experience.

How much experience did you have / recommend before jumping to a manual?

I've never owned a motorcycle but I do have a motorcycle license so I have worked with a manual before. I also found somebody locally who let me use their manual honda fit to practice in for a low fee for about two hours. Shifting was fine. From the start I never had an issue there.

My only somewhat weak spot is starting from a stop and not stalling. By the end I was stalling say 1 out of 15 times.

I'm in south Florida which is relatively flat. Highway exits, overpasses, etc.. do have some elevation change. Nothing like when I lived in NY, but starting out from a stop on a "hill" and not rolling back and/or stalling is a concern. Haven't had to add in the third variable of braking yet while going forward.

I could potentially rent the fit some more, but it's kind of out of the way and local so doesn't really help with my weak points.

It sounds like you have enough experience to get the hang of it in no time. Just like a motorcycle, the key is to find the friction point in the clutch and you will be fine. I myself came from a couple of motorcycles before getting a manual car ('03 Civic LX) and I had no experience driving a manual when I drove my car off the lot. It really is just about practice, but it sounds like you have enough of a foundation to be on your own already.

Yeah I came from a 2004 alero to my 2012 si and you just need practice I drove dirtbike alot so as long as you understand the concept of the gas and clutch you will catch on decently easy

Yeah I came from a 2004 alero to my 2012 si and you just need practice I drove dirtbike alot so as long as you understand the concept of the gas and clutch you will catch on decently easy

It's not a big switch if you have the theory down. The friction point is the most important cause its different on every car. After a day or two of driving around you won't have a stall but every couple of days.

It's not a big switch if you have the theory down. The friction point is the most important cause its different on every car. After a day or two of driving around you won't have a stall but every couple of days.

And even experienced drivers will stall it every once in a while.

I'd like to mention one thing about starting off from a stop going up hill. It's usually not a problem until some A--Wipe pulls up about 2 feet behind you, then the nerves take over........... In this case you need to go back to practicing starting off on a hill using your hand brake along with your clutch and gas, no problem if you practice.

after awhile you'll get into an automatic and reach for a clutch or to shift gear. i know i do when ever i drive my moms accord or my girlfriends corolla s. just pull the trigger and get the si you wont regret it they are fun cars.

I drove a manual for the first time the day before I got my Si, it was my buddies old neon and after a few laps around the cemetery, it was getting pretty smooth.
The Si throttle and clutch were much more sensitive and yea, I stalled it on the way home from the dealership and almost gave my dad whiplash, but after a few weeks it just came natural. Now about 6 months in, I would never get an automatic again and feel weird when I drive one.
Get the Si! You won't regret it

Save the manual! You should pick it up very fast. Manual all day if you don't do a lot of stop and go traffic driving. Great for open roads. The Si is a pretty peppy little car you wont regret it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I'd like to mention one thing about starting off from a stop going up hill. It's usually not a problem until some A--Wipe pulls up about 2 feet behind you, then the nerves take over........... In this case you need to go back to practicing starting off on a hill using your hand brake along with your clutch and gas, no problem if you practice.

That's what I'm worried about.

Most of the hills I can think of here are overpasses for the highway or on the highway / exits so not really isolated to practice. There are some multi level parking lots, driveways, etc.. so I just have to think get a list of safe practice places for that scenario and make it happen.

I had to go to tennesse for a vaction in my si and its always fun driving up a mountain scared to stop haha just wanna go all the way up no stops

I usually back up closer if someone does it to me to let him/her to not come too close. Lol.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

That's what I'm worried about.

Most of the hills I can think of here are overpasses for the highway or on the highway / exits so not really isolated to practice. There are some multi level parking lots, driveways, etc.. so I just have to think get a list of safe practice places for that scenario and make it happen.

You don't "HAVE TO" practice on a hill, as much as practice from a stop with the hand brake on, with your feet on the clutch & gas.
One thing about hand brakes .... Just because they have a button to lock them in park, doesn't mean you need to lock it. Use the hand brake while keeping your thumb "pressed" on the lock button, then you don't have to try and control the lock button. Just think of it as a pressure brake, like the foot brake.

When I was living in the UK the cars over there were set up to use the HB by pulling on it, and if you wanted to lock it for parking, then you would have to press the button to lock it in park, just the opposite of here.

Actually, a little off topic..... When I'm parking, I pull the brake to where it feels like it's enough to hold the car in place, then release the button. I gain two things that way, I get the practice on the tension, and don't over stretch the cable by jerking the handle up with it clicking. Easier to feel the HB.

I usually back up closer if someone does it to me to let him/her to not come too close. Lol.
I'll let it drop back also, hopefully they'll stay back on the next car..... My guess is that the ppl that sit on ppls butts are driving automatics and just don't think, so I'll also make them wait a longer amount of time, because they're so close they can't go around.

You don't "HAVE TO" practice on a hill, as much as practice from a stop with the hand brake on, with your feet on the clutch & gas.

That's a good point. Will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tips.

after awhile you'll get into an automatic and reach for a clutch or to shift gear. i know i do when ever i drive my moms accord or my girlfriends corolla s. just pull the trigger and get the si you wont regret it they are fun cars.

Haha I hate that!! When Im in an auto, my left foot is pretty much restless the whole time.. Sometimes, if nobody is in the car, I still depress the imaginary clutch and shift the imaginary shifter in an auto lol :)

Haha I hate that!! When Im in an auto, my left foot is pretty much restless the whole time.. Sometimes, if nobody is in the car, I still depress the imaginary clutch and shift the imaginary shifter in an auto lol :)
im guilty some times add a little vtech noise

When it comes to driving a manual, you
Just have to do it.. No advice from anybody will ever really help totally. Just have to do it. And like every one said, the friction point is the most important part.

Also, I think it's better to stall then to just ride your clutch the whole time.. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I'd rather stall.

I can honestly say I've stalled the Si 2 times. And both were when I was parking and forget its in gear and let off the clutch haha

Back