8th Gen DIY: DX/LX - Powder Coated Drum Brakes

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
If you are running stock steelies then don't bother but, if you buy a more open design wheel you will see the drums in the rear and they look BAD.

Here's a quick how-to on getting rid of the nasty appearance of rusted drum brakes on DX/LX models. After talking to a couple Honda people, the new DX/LX models should be able to follow these same steps to change out their drums. The pics are of my 8th gen but the process is the same.

Choices are paint them with caliper paint or get them powder coated. I went with new drums and had them powder coated. If your drums are fairly new you may be able to get them prepped and coated without buying new ones. Sometimes excessive rust will cost more to "prep" and refinish than just buying new ones. Also you can't drive your car while you wait.

A new drum for a 2012 civic is part #42610-TR3-A00
They should run about $30 each.

The prep and powder coat cost me $50 since they were new and clean.
I had mine done locally at a place called Rochester Vibratory & Assembly
http://www.rochestervibratory.com/

You will need to remove your old drums first. There are two holes on each drum to thread in a bolt to help push the drum off. You can use brake cleaner and pry it off but this is much easier and doesn't risk any damage to the drum.
Bolts: 8mm x 1.25 thread pitch, you need two, a bag like this was 0.62 cents at home depot. These were 25mm long which is plenty.
boltso.jpg

If you are unsure of the bolts you can always drag a drum with you and make sure they fit. I did. The bolts should thread right in by hand. This is the drum after power coat with the bolts.
whereboltsgo.jpg

I got bronze vein coating. You can see the texture close up.
bronzeveincloseup.jpg

Once you have your drums go outside and jack up your car. Use jack stands and chock your wheels for safety. You have to release the parking brake also. To take the old drum off just put the two bolts you purchased into the holes and tighten them evenly. You will hear the drum breaking free. I lubed both of the bolts to help them go in easier. See how bad they look? Happens really quickly.

takingdrumoff.jpg

With the drum off it should look very similar to this. I used a shopvac to suck out all the old brake dust. Don't breathe it in! You can also inspect your shoes and make sure nothing is leaking, no wet spots.
drumoff.jpg

The new drum should just slip right onto the studs.
newdrumon.jpg

Tighten the wheel back up and you are done! Then go do the other side. The wheel is what holds the drum on. The drum and hub should turn freely without dragging. I noticed that the right side had some drag to it at first. We pushed on the drum and it went away so its possible that until the wheel is bolted up its not perfectly in place and could contact the shoes. So bolt up your wheel while its still raised and see if it spins freely. Torque it down to proper specs once you have lowered the car.

For comparison... looks better yea?
drumcomparison2.jpg

I do have an update on this I just need to go out and take some pics. Will update later today.

UPDATE: 6 months

So as you know the stock drum will rust badly and quickly. When I had mine powder coated the guy who did it had never done honda drums before. He left the faces blank which is the interface with the back of the wheel. I don't know if this area should be left blank to increase the friction between the wheel/drum/hub area since that is what transfers the power/braking forces to the wheel and tire. It seems to me that it would not be necessary since the rust would create a less uniform surface anyway. I don't know if the powdercoat would be too slippery? In any case the slight issue I have had in the past 6 months is the quick appearance of rust on the face of the drum. Most of it is hidden by the wheel but in the attached pictures you can see the rust peeking out from behind the spokes. The powder itself has held up great. I am very happy with it.

drumwheelrust.jpg

Rust peeking....
drumrust.jpg

The only issue I have had with this is not so much the barely visible rust areas but that the additional "holes" in my wheel have led to small channels of rusty water staining my wheel. It comes off easily but even a quick car wash seems to lead to rusty trails. This could be due to my wheel design but I think that the rust developing behind it will be something anyone could run into.
holedrumrust.jpg

On a flat surface. It rained a little today and the water tends to sit inside the wheel.
holewater.jpg

As you can see the lug nuts also seem to hold water creating, I believe, more rust behind the wheel interface.

holewaterbig.jpg

When I pull these wheels off and switch to my winter wheels in a couple weeks I am going to sand down the drum faces and paint them with caliper paint. I don't know how well the powder would hold up to repeated wheel rotations and I think that redoing it every so often on the face with caliper paint may work out better in the long run. I'll update with pics and such when I sand and paint them. I'll also update in the spring after a winter of salt, automated car washes, and stock wheels holding it all in.

I'd love to see a picture of the wheels and everything from a little ways back. I think you're right...if you just brushed the rust off and hit it with some black paint every year or so you'd probably cut down on the rust and wouldn't see any problems. Great write up though, much appreciated.

Hey one quick question before I get mine done, should I paint/powdercoat the face or not?

Yes. I am going to when I redo mine. It rusts quickly and starts to run under the edge of the paint/powder.

i actually repainted my drum covers recently. all i did was get wire brush attachments for drills and take off most of the rust and then apply high temperature spray paint and painted the entire drum. it didnt need any powder coat or base coat. it made the drums less visible when i put on aftermarket rims.

Last edited:
I have a long term follow up coming shortly... I'm just waiting on a shipment of new drums.... then.... some cool updates I hope.

Paint or powder. Both make it look much better.

I have a long term follow up coming shortly... I'm just waiting on a shipment of new drums.... then.... some cool updates I hope.

Paint or powder. Both make it look much better.

You goin powder again? I bought an extra set at autozone for $70 and rattle canned them. I think I'm just gonna redo and swap out every time the tires get rotated.

Reactions: Nix
Yep. Fresh powder. I love it. Hahahah.

It just helps so much even painting them black. They look so bad when you get nice wheels and this just piece of rusty junk is staring at you. As long as it's not like bright red or green.

I'll also be able to post the current ones as a long term test to show how they hold up and the difference between completely uncoated/unpainted, the original powder, and the new setup.

Bright green just doesn't look good unless you have tribal dragon graphics down the side of your ride :barf:

the drums rust just because honda decided not to paint them before shipping them out. bare metal rusts once it gets wet and weathered. which really sucks for us

It's probably going to be a yearly thing,funny though my 04 has drum on back and they have no rust at all,they really changed there ways..

@nat3d - since you finally have wheels..... I bet your drums are showing! hahaha
yeah lol i hate it. im gonna get a can of high temp caliper paint and paint them black. just cheaper than powder. i may powder coat them down the road.

Last edited:
Back