Dyno Results: 2012 Civic Si Injen Cold Air Intake Dyno Before/After

Hmm I think this whole ecu adaptation thing is not a very well understood area. I guess we'd have to ask someone from honda about ecu adaptation to know for sure.
I guess i should have read the Hpengine's post before responding to kenny lol. ECU adjustment to aftermarket intake HP increase i would not know. I doubt it would do anything upwards.

So typically, after putting on a "sufficient amount" of miles, what is the typical trend? Up or down? By how much?

I don't think they would go up and honestly, I don't see how you could get the gains that Injen is saying. The stock intake looks pretty free flowing so I wouldn't think it would make more than 5 hp. Then again, the stock box is really quiet so there might me significant restriction. I haven't had my lid off to see what kind of baffling is in there.

I don't think they would go up and honestly, I don't see how you could get the gains that Injen is saying. The stock intake looks pretty free flowing so I wouldn't think it would make more than 5 hp. Then again, the stock box is really quiet so there might me significant restriction. I haven't had my lid off to see what kind of baffling is in there.
The stock box's only real hindrance by my visual is the resonator/silencer otherwise it is pretty free in the stock box. Aren't you here in SC? You really should come to our meet tonight would love to talk you seem pretty knowledgeable much more than me.

I'd love to, unfortunately I can't drive. I just had hip replacement surgery. I've got another week and then believe me, I'll be driving all over this town. Remind me in the future.

Well then i guess that excuse will fly LOL Hope recovery is going good..It is weekly so come on out when your up and Atom:nerd:. Except for memorial day weekend Due to Joe's SF meet.

Hey Armogedon I'll throw some money your way. What's your email? I'll pay pall you.
Hey Turbo, thanks brotha; I was just being silly, no need to send me money. I'm just sharing the wealth with the rest of the family :)

Good work Arm0ged0n! Power to the people. I'm glad it shows a real world increase lol. Now we need to get two Si's on 1/4 mile one stock one with upgrades and see what's up!
Thanks Eddie :) this, I would like to see!

so in the end its like 4hp to the wheels? 171.4 to 175.5hp

I took pictures and videos (Will be posted soon) from the dyno runs.

Here's a pic of a Lambo that was getting tuned up at the shop:

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

My car getting all set up for the dyno runs:

dyno1.sized.jpg

dyno2.sized.jpg

I had to represent :)

dyno3.sized.jpg

dyno4.sized.jpg

Stock Filter:

dyno5.sized.jpg

Injen CAI:

dyno6.sized.jpg

^^ just like he said. There are larger hp gains across the entire chart.

Well, this pretty much confirms Injen's results and advertised gains. While it is true that the stock ECU may "adapt" to the intake and horsepower may go up or down after XX miles of driving, I think it's clear that the intake does somehow flow better than the stock one. Keep in mind that Honda has to factor in things like noise levels, ease of changing the air filter, and other packaging requirements when designing their factory intakes. This usually results in some sort of compromise in terms of performance.

If for some reason the power does goes down because of the ECU learning procedure, then I'm sure it's something that the upcoming FlashPro would have no problem fixing.

Honda's base all their adaptations off of a drive cycle. The vehicle has to be driven from cold to operating temp, then back down. When the ECU senses more air, it will call for more fuel. Basically, the car does all the readiness checks while you warm up the car, drive it, and eventually shut it down. The actual procedure is a little crazy, cause you have to do stop and go driving for about 5 miles, then bring it up to above 45mph and cruise. After that, you have to bring the car up to 60-65mph and back down to 50mph without the brake. This allows the ECU to read from the TPS with enough length to set the readiness codes. Each sensor has a different criteria involving temps, barometric pressure, etc., but the ECT sensor has to be around 140 degrees to get an a/f monitor to be ready.

How to Set Readiness Codes​
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Indication (In relation to Readiness Codes)
The vehicle has certain readiness codes that are part of the on-board diagnostics for the emissions systems. If the vehicle's battery has been disconnected or gone dead, if DTCs have been cleared, or if the ECM has been reset, these readiness codes are reset to incomplete. In some states, part of the emissions testing is to make sure these codes are set to complete. If all of them are not set to complete, the vehicle may fail the emission test, or the test cannot be finished.

To check if the readiness codes are set to complete, turn the ignition switch to ON (II), but do not start the engine. The MIL comes on for 15-20 seconds. If it then goes off, the readiness codes are set to complete. If it flashes five times, one or more readiness codes are not set to complete. To set readiness codes from incomplete to complete, do the procedure for the appropriate code.

To check the status of a specific DTC system, check the OBD status in the DTC MENU with the HDS. This screen displays the DTC, the current data list of the enable criteria, and the status of the readiness testing.
Catalytic Converter Monitor and Readiness Code
NOTE:

During the procedure, do not turn the ignition switch to ACC (I) or LOCK (0).

All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected, if DTCs have been cleared, or if the ECM is reset with the HDS.

Low ambient temperatures or excessive stop-and-go traffic may increase the drive time needed to switch the readiness code from incomplete to complete.

The readiness code will not switch to complete until all the enable criteria are met.

If a fault in the secondary HO2S system caused the MIL to come on, the readiness code cannot be set to complete until you correct the fault.
Enable Criteria​

ECT SENSOR 1 at 158 °F (70 °C) or more.

IAT SENSOR at 20 °F (-7 °C) or more.

Vehicle speed above 25 mph (40 km/h).
Procedure​
1.​
Connect the HDS to the vehicle's data link connector (DLC), and bring up the READINESS CODEs screen for Catalyst in the DTCs MENU.
2.​
Start the engine.
3.​
Test-drive the vehicle under stop-and-go conditions with short periods of steady cruise. After about 5 miles (8 km), the readiness code should switch to complete.
4.​
If the readiness code is still not set to complete, check for a Pending DTC with the HDS. If there is no DTC, one or more of the enable criteria were probably not met; repeat the procedure.
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control System Monitor and Readiness Code
NOTE: All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected, if DTCs have been cleared, or if the ECM is reset with the HDS.

Enable Criteria​

Battery voltage is more than 10.5 V.

Engine at idle.

ECT SENSOR 1 and 2 between 176 °F (80 °C) and 212 °F (100 °C).

MAP SENSOR less than 46.6 kPa (14 inHg, 350 mmHg).

Vehicle speed 0 mph (0 km/h).

IAT SENSOR between 32 °F (0 °C) and 212 °F (100 °C).
Procedure​
1.​
Connect the HDS to the DLC.
2.​
Start the engine.
3.​
Select EVAP TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS, then select the FUNCTION TEST in the EVAP TEST MENU.

If the result is normal, readiness is complete.

If the result is not normal, go to the next step.
4.​
Check for a Pending DTC. If there is no DTC, one or more of the enable criteria were probably not met; repeat the procedure.
Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Monitor and Readiness Code
NOTE:

During the procedure, do not turn the ignition switch to ACC (I) or LOCK (0).

All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected, if DTCs have been cleared, or if the ECM is reset with the HDS.
Enable Criteria​
ECT SENSOR 1 at 140 °F (60 °C) or more.
Procedure​
1.​
Start the engine.
2.​
Test-drive the vehicle under stop-and-go conditions with short periods of steady cruise. During the drive, decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) for 5 seconds. After about 3.5 miles (5.6 km), the readiness code should switch from incomplete to complete.
3.​
Check the readiness codes screen for the AIR FUEL RATIO (A/F) SENSOR in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.

If the screen shows complete, readiness is complete.

If the screen shows not complete, go to the next step.
4.​
Check for a Pending DTC. If there is no DTC, the enable criteria was probably not met. Select the DATA LIST MENU. Check ECT SENSOR 1 in the ALL DATA LIST with the HDS. If ECT SENSOR 1 is less than 140 °F (60 °C), run the engine until it is more than 140 °F (60 °C), then repeat the procedure.
Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Heater Monitor Readiness Code
NOTE: All readiness codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected, if DTCs have been cleared, or if the ECM is reset with the HDS.

Procedure​
1.​
Start the engine, and let it idle for 1 minute. The readiness code should switch from incomplete to complete.
2.​
If the readiness code is still not set to complete, check for a Pending DTC. If there is no DTC, repeat the procedure.
Misfire Monitor and Readiness Code

This readiness code is always set to available because misfiring is continuously monitored.

Monitoring pauses, and the misfire counter resets, if the vehicle is driven over a rough road.

Monitoring also pauses, and the misfire counter holds at its current value, if the throttle position changes more than a predetermined value, or if driving conditions fall outside the range of any related enable criteria.
Fuel System Monitor and Readiness Code

This readiness code is always set to available because the fuel system is continuously monitored during closed loop operation.

Monitoring pauses when the catalytic converter, the EVAP control system, and the A/F sensor monitors are active.

Monitoring also pauses when any related enable criteria are not being met. Monitoring resumes when the enable criteria is again being met.
Comprehensive Component Monitor and Readiness Code
This readiness code is always set to available because the comprehensive component monitor is continuously running whenever the engine is cranking or running.

Back