E46 M3 Track Toy

He shared a nice vid of him lapping the track as well. Looked like great fun

lol, I spun off at turn 5 at road atlanta in the prior track toy my 2008 S2000 CR.

Jrotax101 is my personal instructor and butler..............:vtec:
The right-hander 90 to the short back straight? (I vaguely remember that being 5. I spun my Datsun there a couple of times (which shows you how old I am :D)).

Reactions: Nix
Turn 5 is the uphill left hander at the bottom of the esses (spectator hill looks down on this), Turn 6(sounds like what you're referring to) and 7 are the right hander 90's before the back straight.

Turn 5 is the uphill left hander at the bottom of the esses (spectator hill looks down on this), Turn 6(sounds like what you're referring to) and 7 are the right hander 90's before the back straight.
Ahhh, how could I forget that turn? If the esses didn't get you....

Very sweet! I have been fighting a losing battle against becoming a track addict. I've been driving my 2012 Civic Si, and have just decided that I really need a dedicated track car. I had a E36 M3 in the past, and am thinking that an E36 or E46 would be the way to go. The E36 is a bit under powered, but still quite fun to drive.

Is your E46 street legal? I see you trailer it to the track. What is your tow vehicle? What are the weights of the M3 and the trailer?

I'm thinking that I can start my track car as street legal, as I only live about 20 miles from my "home track", Watkins Glen. As it gets more "tracky", I'll eventually have to start trailering it, especially if I take it to farther away tracks, like Lime Rock or Toronto.

My E46 is still street legal. I borrow tow vehicles for now but am getting ready to trade in my other BMW for a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the hemi. My trailer is 1250 lbs and M3 is down to approximate 3200 with a full tank of gas. I trailer mine as tracks are kind of far away, also more comfortable sitting in a truck than race buckets and harnesses, and don't worry anymore if I wreck the car and how I will get home.

Is it hard to find a tow vehicle to rent? I've heard that some rental companies exclude towing in the rental agreement. I haven't really looked into it.

I'm thinking now along the lines of getting a partially track prepped spec Miata, street legal, to use for HPDE school, and possibly transition into racing, if the bug so bites...

trucks are a pain to rent, hence why I am going to buy a tow vehicle. I am fortunate to have a few friends that have helped me out with a vehicle. Most companies wont let you tow, you have to go to their commercial division. Once you do that they give you 250 free miles and anything above that is 0.29 cents a mile which would add up quick on a pilgrimage from Orlando, FL to Virginia for me.

He does, only person I let touch my cars or my father's cars. We are all serious OCD and he meets the grade.

Lately, I've been considering swapping my Evo X for an E46. Probably not the best idea, but your thread isn't helping. Haha.

You get beat by a civic and then want an M3 huh?
Hahaha! Springtime can't come any sooner. The BMW want stems back from when I couldn't decide between an Evo X and 135i. Some days I regret not going with the Bimmer. Some not so much.

..side note. I totally spaced on all those tolls we went through. Paid online on the eighth day. Thankfully it was borderline midnight.

Reactions: 323
should have gotten a 135i. Fit and finish and comfort much better than the evo. Both the N55 and N54 with a tune, down pipe, and exhaust make great power. I just sold my 335i N55 that was modded to pick up the jeep. My 335i was an incredible daily that was quite quick. @stilletto

Back