ECU Reset Question

davefootball123

I've noticed that resetting the ECU in my 2012 Civic leads to a very smooth operation for the first couple of hours, however after that initial time has passed, the car doesn't seem to run quite as smoothly. Any ideas what would cause this? Would Air-fuel ratios cause anything like this to occur?

Thanks

When you say "resetting the ecu", are you referring to disconnecting the neg battery cable...or?

It's an interesting one, due to the fact that I did get the car tuned by a Hondata Dealer in November, for my Takeda TR-1020B intake. That intake is okay...however I found the NVH it produced due to its silicone coupling and other things wasn't to my liking along with the bit of lost low end torque. Installing the stock airbox made things smooth as silk (resetting the ECU via negative battery terminal) and I noticed the increased low end torque immediately. After the ECU reset things don't seem as smooth when giving partial throttle. Unsure if its reverting to old AFR or the long/short term fuel trims are having issues creating a rougher running motor? Any ideas would be great. Debating getting a ECU from a junkyard for 50$ and having it programmed at Honda to see if it fixes the issue. Don't want to go back to the place where I got the tune as its rather far from my location now.

So you're running a tune from hondata on the stock airbox....but it was tuned for the takeda intake? Why don't you reset your hondata back to the reflash map?

Car is now 100% stock ECU factory tune. Still shortly after the ECU reset the motor starts running less smooth. Any ideas?

How many miles on the car? I'm guessing you're out of warranty with a 2012?

bad gas?
air filter?
injectors clogged?
maf sensor needs cleaned?
I mean it could be a billion things. Is the tachometer bouncing up and down at idle or? Define less smooth? Is it idling at too low of a low rpm? Are there any warning lights/CEL on the dash?

Idle is very smooth, just seems as you go through the rev range, the motor is less smooth than when the ECU is reset. No warnings lights or CEL. MAF has been cleaned, and I have run fuel injector cleaner through the system, new air filter as well. The car has 150,000KM on it currently.

so why not try loading the hondata reflash map and see how it runs as a test right now?

Back