Engine Cleaning

yang xiong

I been searching for what is the best and proper way of cleaning the engine of an si. I want to know what the best method of going about as I dont want to damage the engine. If anyone has done it, can you please explain how you did it and what precaution should I watch out for.

Thanks.

SI Lover

I use a chemical product called "Bike Bright"(made to be sprayed on most things without damage, as opposed to sprays that are made to only contact unpainted surfaces), I'm sure there are things for car engines, but I've been using this long enough not to gamble on something new. Just spray under the hood on everything starting while it's dry, and the engine is cool, let it sit for a couple minutes, then rinse with a mist type control of water, if using a spray wand at a coin wash use on lowest power and hold away from(as in not close to), and rinse everything.

As long as you don't blast it with water it's not going to hurt any thing...... If you were to want to blast something, don't !

Reactions: Nix
I am mainly concern about the power spraying water into the engine, like how should i do it properly, do i need to cover up alternator and starter or will it be able to spray on them. I can find an engine degressor from autozone and such but its the use of the water spaying into the engine conerns me.

I am mainly concern about the power spraying water into the engine, like how should i do it properly, do i need to cover up alternator and starter or will it be able to spray on them. I can find an engine degressor from autozone and such but its the use of the water spaying into the engine conerns me.
If you are driving at 60mph in a rain storm your engine and all it's components are going to get wet, the same with a power wash.....
Just hold the wand far back so there isn't any "pressure" to hurt anything, rinse.

The electrics are mad to get wet, not blasted........ After spraying with bike bright, rinsing "COLD". Go for a half hour drive to heat/dry any water left under the hood. You don't need to cover anything.

I've been washing my cars engines since the 60's, and never had an issue, if you follow the steps...... No pressure, do it while it's cold, drive it after done.

Ok so i dont have to cover up alternater or stater then, i dont want to have to spend 1k to fix it.

I would cover the fuse box tightly with aluminum foil and a plastic bag with a rubber band. Same with the alternator. The bike bright stuff Monk mentioned is a lot safer than a lot of degreasers you'll find at auto zone.

Like has already been mentioned, don't blast water around in the bay. Gently spray everything off. A couple good brushes will help a lot. one of those garden sprayers is pretty useful too. You can work one area at a time and they are cheap.

This is what I use for this type of thing. Its like $7 at home depot.

3025a14c-374c-460b-ba10-4ac099bf6786_300.jpg

Any of you guys know what is good to use to clean a valve cover that has been painted with VHT wrinkled red paint?

Back