Enkei Fitment Question

Laird97

I really want to run some enkei rpf1 17x9 but I want to avoid rubbing at all costs. What offset and tire size are my best options? I would like to run 235/40 cause I don't want to stretch but I am willing to run 225/40 if it means I won't rub. I'm on stock suspension as of now but will most likely be lowered in the future anywhere from 1-1.5 inches. Camber is also something that I want to avoid if possible but I understand that it may be necessary for a wheel this wide on our cars. Though I am willing to roll my fenders, I don't want to pull them. I am starting to doubt if I can fit these wheels since I am so picky about how I want to go about it.

I have seen people run similar set ups and some say that there is no rubbing while others say camber and fender work are required.

Sorry if I am making this difficult. I am a noob when it comes to fitment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Not really sure how to advise on the factory springs. @Nix may be able to give advice.

Now I see this all the time and ask myself the question, "Why put a wider wheel than tire if it doesn't help the contact patch?" I understand the "look" aspect which I can't get into, just not me but for someone that sounds like you want function over form, I'm curios why the width if already have a 225 tire stock with no issue what-so-ever. A 235 I could understand a wider wheel but an 8 or 8.5 inch could accommodate that or wider possibly With less work to fenders. I mean nothing ill but just curious the reasoning as I am a function over form guy.

I mean nothing ill but just curious the reasoning
probably because the rpf1's change their appearance at 9 inches wide and up. Below 9 inches on them looks drastically different.

I guess so, I'm not that picky on look so the change doesn't bother me. Not only with rpf1's though so its just been a long time self asked question.

I guess so, I'm not that picky on look so the change doesn't bother me. Not only with rpf1's though so its just been a long time self asked question.
Webby is right. I much prefer the look of the 9in wide rpf1 over the narrower sizes.

It is true that I prefer function over form. I've never liked the "stance" look that these cars are commonly known for.

That all said, I want a wheel that is light weight and durable...so the rpf1 keeps coming to mind. The "bubble" look of 8.5 in and narrower just doesn't do it for me.

i may just have to buy them and find out for myself. Thank you for your replies guys

So, yes, get the 9" wheel. The other sizes don't look as good. The narrowest tire I would run on a 9" wheel is a 225. The problem you will have is that a 225/40/17 does not exist. A 225/40/18 does. You would end up with a 225/45/17 which isn't a great tire size and the tall sidewall will probably give you an issue.

I would steer you towards the 235/40/17 tire size. The offset of the wheel will change a lot of how the wheel fits as well. The +45 is very very close to the strut on the inside and you may have clearance issues with the 235 width tire. The +35 offset is what I would suggest. It does mean you will need to run some neg camber and most likely do some fender work. You won't have to run crazy camber but an aggressive performance alignment will definitely help with both fitment and handling. Consider running somewhere around -1.5 to -2 degrees.

@Safe Gabe has been playing around with some very aggressive performance wheel/tire setups. He may have some input on camber.

So, yes, get the 9" wheel. The other sizes don't look as good. The narrowest tire I would run on a 9" wheel is a 225. The problem you will have is that a 225/40/17 does not exist. A 225/40/18 does. You would end up with a 225/45/17 which isn't a great tire size and the tall sidewall will probably give you an issue.

I would steer you towards the 235/40/17 tire size. The offset of the wheel will change a lot of how the wheel fits as well. The +45 is very very close to the strut on the inside and you may have clearance issues with the 235 width tire. The +35 offset is what I would suggest. It does mean you will need to run some neg camber and most likely do some fender work. You won't have to run crazy camber but an aggressive performance alignment will definitely help with both fitment and handling. Consider running somewhere around -1.5 to -2 degrees.

@Safe Gabe has been playing around with some very aggressive performance wheel/tire setups. He may have some input on camber.
You think he's going to have those issues on stock ride height?

Theres your answer. I knew it would be close but I was not 100% certain.

Thanks so much guys. I guess I'll just have to suck it up when I go lower and add some neg camber and/or fender work.

Webby is right. I much prefer the look of the 9in wide rpf1 over the narrower sizes.

It is true that I prefer function over form. I've never liked the "stance" look that these cars are commonly known for.

That all said, I want a wheel that is light weight and durable...so the rpf1 keeps coming to mind. The "bubble" look of 8.5 in and narrower just doesn't do it for me.

i may just have to buy them and find out for myself. Thank you for your replies guys

Respectable, I'm just not one to dislike the "bubble" look for less head aches with fitment. RPF1's in black are what I'd like to get myself eventually. Hope it works out for you

Back