Ethanol free gas?

scottwhi1

Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
sedan
What's the thoughts of running this in the 2012 si?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Honda and a few other makers promote top tier gasoline-

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Stations that qualify in the US/Canada =

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Petroleum
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Canada
Chevron Canada
Esso
Shell Canada

Found a "Top-Tier" Station approximately 5 minutes from my house. I know where I will be filling up every time now. Thanks for the info!

All I ever run in my Si is Shell V-Power, which is ethanol free. It's all I put in my old RSX-S too.

i use shell as well . but i thought the pumps here in middle tennesse say something like all grades contain at least 10% ethanol . i will look real good next fill up .
i only drive my car like maybe 100 miles on saturday and or sunday . so it might be awhile

it still contains a small percentage of ethanol less than 10%.
According to the station I use, the V-power grade here does not contain ethanol, but all their lower grades do. Their are signs on the station here stating that the V-power is ethanol free, however this isn't necessarily available at all locations supposedly as some provinces and other countries require a certain percentage of ethanol to be added to the gas. I would think that they wouldn't be able to post that it is ethanol free if that were not, in fact, the case?

I tried to find a Canadian equivalent to the link Webby posted (as that applies to Australia but other countries may not be the same), however I couldn't find anything legitimate that seemed to confirm the use of ethanol, and in what grade fuels it is in, for Canada.

Sorry... when I drove by the Shell station tonight the sign actually says "No Ethanol" rather than "Ethanol Free" if that makes any difference. But I assume it means the same thing.

from the manual -

Top tier detergent gasoline
Because the level of detergency and additives in gasoline vary in the market, Honda
endorses the use of “TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline” where available to help
maintain the performance and reliability of your vehicle. TOP TIER Detergent
Gasoline meets a new gasoline standard jointly established by leading automotive
manufacturers to meet the needs of today’s advanced engines.
Unleaded gasoline, pump octane number 87 or higher
Unleaded premium gasoline, pump octane number 91 or higher
1Fuel Information

NOTICE
We recommend quality gasoline containing
detergent additives that help prevent fuel system and
engine deposits. In addition, in order to maintain
good performance, fuel economy, and emissions
control, we strongly recommend the use of gasoline
that does NOT contain harmful manganese-based
fuel additives such as MMT, if such gasoline is
available.

Use of gasoline with these additives may adversely
affect performance, and cause the malfunction
indicator lamp on your instrument panel to come on.
If this happens, contact a dealer for service.
Some gasoline today is blended with oxygenates such
as ethanol. Your vehicle is designed to operate on
oxygenated gasoline containing up to 10% ethanol
by volume. Do not use gasoline containing methanol.
If you notice any undesirable operating symptoms, try
another service station or switch to another brand of
gasoline.

Guess I should read my owners manual :cool:

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

I used to be able to find a station that had ethanol free regular, the car might be designed to handle up to 10% but it runs so much better on ethanol free, highway economy was up to 47mpg without trying. When i couldnt get ethanol free regular the car went down to at best 42mpg on the same drive

I'm jealous, ethanol free gas is so much better...the only way I can get any in houston is buying some very expensive 109 octane race fuel, haven't tried any in the civic...yet

I am very religious about not buying mom & pop store gas, got some bad gas from one years ago, that's all it takes to never use another no name station. Only the big names but I don't stick to just one...chevron, shell, texaco or mobil works just fine for me.

i made the mistake of getting BJs gas once, i dont know if it was just a bad tank or what, i was down to 15mpg highway and the car sounded bad

yea I had to drain my tank and it solved the problem...starting sputtering, stalling, misfiring directly after leaving the gas station...It was water in the gas. It not an easy process to monitor gas station tanks, water usually get in the tanks through the caps when the parking lots flood, condensation etc...they usually have a small amount of water in the bottom of the tanks but it doesn't hurt your gas when its a few hundred gallons of water in the bottom of 10,000 gallons of fuel, it stays at the bottom (it only hurts your gas when they let it run down to the bottom of the tank, thats why they're supposed to monitor the levels closely so they know when to shut off the pumps and order more gas). They use a long measuring sticks with some weird pink paste stuff on the end of them, that changes color only when it touches water, so they can measure exactly how much water is in the bottom of the tanks. If there's too much water in the tanks, they pump them out. Mom & pop, privately owned stores just keep their fingers crossed and hope that the last flood in their parking lot didn't get too much water into the tanks...which it probably did!!

I used to be able to find a station that had ethanol free regular, the car might be designed to handle up to 10% but it runs so much better on ethanol free, highway economy was up to 47mpg without trying. When i couldnt get ethanol free regular the car went down to at best 42mpg on the same drive
i find this hard to believe as ethanol increases detonation resistance and 85 % ethanol is equivalent to 106 octane. FYI recreational 90 is for boats and is ethanol free because alcohol eats away at all the lines / sender units etc.

As for Bad gas from cheap gastations problem typically is because more than 10% water, which is the ALLOWABLE amount gets into the gas and produces terrible consequences for your motor.

the reason companies use up to 10 % ethanol is to increase detonation resistance and increase octane.

Back