Exhaust heating up MOOG Bushings

twister8008

Omaha, NE, but I am a Wisconsinite
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Good morning everyone. I have been really busy with my move and new child and I have another child due in August, so I will continue to be busy. Ha! Anyway, I am having an issue with my 2013 SI Coupe. I installed a 24mm sway bar and a FULL RACE exhaust. Since my arrival here, the exhaust has heated up the bushing on my sway bar and melted it causing a clunking sound when I hit bumps. Has anyone ran into this problem? I did a lot of research prior to this setup and it appeared that both parts could safely coexist. Please help me out. Thanks!

I think this is the first complaint about this.....maybe @Nix might know a bit more?

Got any pics of the bushing?

No pics. I took it to a Firestone on base and then he referred me to an exhaust shop to try to shift it. I was told there is no room to move the exhaust without it touching my bumper. I was also told my exhaust was too large for my car. The sway bar is a 24mm Progress bar.

Exhaust too large for the car? lol Maybe they are just trying to sell you something???

I can't picture it in my head right now but I guess a 3in pipe would be closer to the sway bushing but not sure it would be close enough to cause your issue.

You putting on the bushings that came with the swaybar now?

I have had both the Moogs and FR exhaust on for about a year now and have not noticed any issues yet.

Squiggy, this is strange. I am about a year out from my exhaust install now. I have had two shops tell me the pipe is getting to hot. I don't know what else to do. . . The clunk is audible only if I have my stereo low/off.

And both of you guys have the coupe....hmm. Can you wrap heat tape on the pipe near the bushing?

I was going to suggest exhaust wrap too. It's cheap and does a good job keeping the heat in.
Although a different exhaust, mine is 3" and i have the moog bushings too and i've had no issues.

What other mods do you have? Are you tuned?

The gentlemen at the exhaust place suggested heat tape as well. Is there a certain brand/style I should use? I don't know much about heat tape except what google will tell me. I am tuned by Vit with an Ingen CAI. I have an HFP suspension.

Yea i would recommend heat wrap or make shift some sort of heat shield but the wrap would be the easiest.

I think the difference is the 24mm bar vs the common 22mm bar. Squiggy/323 are you guys running the 22 or the 24? I know very few people run the larger bar. Also, I think there was some discussion about rotating a section of the FR exhaust to get more clearance in a couple spots when people were having contact/banging issues.

I think the heat tape is a good cheap place to start. Perhaps stiffer exhaust hanger mounts would help hold it in place better too. It might give you the little bit of clearance you need.

22mm bar and dropped nearly 2".

I have had some movement on the exhaust at The Dragon making some hard turns causing it to bang against the spring, but no problems otherwise.

I think the difference is the 24mm bar vs the common 22mm bar. Squiggy/323 are you guys running the 22 or the 24? I know very few people run the larger bar. Also, I think there was some discussion about rotating a section of the FR exhaust to get more clearance in a couple spots when people were having contact/banging issues.

I think the heat tape is a good cheap place to start. Perhaps stiffer exhaust hanger mounts would help hold it in place better too. It might give you the little bit of clearance you need.

Thanks man! I ordered some heat wrap from summit racing and another set of MOOG bushings. $30 investment isn't much to give her a go! I will sadly remove my sway bar if it continues to be a problem. I don't hear the clunk with my music turned on either.

Back