Exhaust Leak? Leading to a "boggy" feeling?

Dennis Rockholt

9k Alll Day
Franklin, TN
Vehicle Model
370Z Fairlady aka "Nismo"
Body Style
Coupe
Hey guys quick question, I have had the invidia N1 for about 7 or so months and have also had the FR dp for about 4. tuned by vit (or in the process should I say) but the other day I was able to notice a conisderable difference in my acceleration feel. It was a lot more choppy that usual and just did not seem to drive the same going through gears 1-3. If anyone would be able to point me into what it might be that would be great, my first thought was possibly an exhaust leak where the dp meets the motor? (I never replaced the original gasket). If not, I did put new tires on today, since they were bald, and thought maybe that would help. Suggestions are welcome......thanks!!

Also, I added a K&N drop in, not sure if that would effect it or not

I would let Vit know and see what he says. It could be a result of the tuning process as he focuses on different things at different points in time throughout the entire process.

Good Idea, I will shoot him a quick email too. Thing is, I haven't uploaded the latest set of maps and it felt fine the last time I did upload his newest. I will still let him know, I am worried that it may be the gasket where the DP meets the Engine....I never did replace it

It shouldn't have been necessary to replace it unless you damaged it.

It shouldn't have been necessary to replace it unless you damaged it.

Nope I did not damage it....but I shot Vit an email too. Could it have been from pretty worn tires? If it keeps up Ill end up at the dealer most likely

Tires shouldn't have anything to do with it. I would wait to see what Vit says.

It could be the k&n. Any change in airflow could be messing with the a/f ratio. I'd do a log for vit and see what he thinks

Sometimes the K&N filters are over saturated with the oil they use. If you just put it in it's possible that there is "oil splatter", for lack of a better term, on your MAF sensor. Pick up some MAF cleaner at pepboys/autozone and spray it off. See if that helps. It's a $5 fix if it works.

How long has the filter been in there? It would usually happen right away if anything. It's one of the flat panel ones?

so Frustrating!!! Even when I am hitting Vtec, it feels as if the car weighs so much more and is struggling. Cant wait for Vit to give me input after I do a log for him today :banghead:

Well I sent a log to Vit, I am supposed to do 3 wot pulls for him, but I am going to wait and see what he thinks about this first. Seems to have driven a little better today, but when I turn the car off it sounds like air escaping under the car so I may look for leaks this weekend as well. Ill keep you all posted

Is this just an issue at lower rpm range or across the board. Did it just start behaving this way?

Uhm it is across the board from about 2500 all the way to the rev limiter. I can floor it and it will just go no where. Started just this week, whereas before I thought the power gains were starting too feel and drive nicely. It happened not to long after I installed my K&N filter too. If that helps

K&N filters are notorious for fouling the MAF. Try clean in the MAF with an approved cleaner followed by a ecu reset.

I am tuned with Hondata, so I will just upload my next map I will also clean the MAF because I am leaning towards that being the culprit. I gotta check the exhaust piping but I do not think it is related at all

Vit said everything on the log looked fine, I still some sort of air escaping when I turn the car off, and I can hear it at idle as well coming from under the car. I will be looking at the exhaust this weekend to make sure there are not any leaks, and if not I will just chalk it up to a "noisy belt" I guess. In the meantime I will clean the MAF sensor anyways, since I have to do the WOT pulls for Vit

Back