First e-dyno from Vit

This was a 2013 SI coupe.

So how do you like the HFP compared to stock.... how would you describe the difference?

It was extremely noticeable. The ride seems tighter. The little bumps of the road are felt on every tire. I can wrap corners with the best of them. I also have a 24mm progress sway bar. I started to forget what stock felt like, so I test drove a stock 14 si....holy cow! What an amazing difference. Not too mention the power difference! ;)

Met a guy just the other day... was shocked to hear he was using a "DC 4 - 2 - 1 sport header".

I heard there was no way that could happen with a cast-in design. But it sounds like there is.

Met a guy just the other day... was shocked to hear he was using a "DC 4 - 2 - 1 sport header".

I heard there was no way that could happen with a cast-in design. But it sounds like there is.

What the hell would be the point? Wouldn't that just cause unwanted turbulence?

It was extremely noticeable. The ride seems tighter. The little bumps of the road are felt on every tire. I can wrap corners with the best of them. I also have a 24mm progress sway bar. I started to forget what stock felt like, so I test drove a stock 14 si....holy cow! What an amazing difference. Not too mention the power difference! ;)

Two questions: Did you add the front sway bar as well... or wouldn't that do anything? And given that such stiff suspension puts a great deal of added stress on the tires, what kind (and size) of rubber are you running?

Thanks for the info...

What the hell would be the point? Wouldn't that just cause unwanted turbulence?
Not sure about a turbulence issue. Wouldn't having 4 exhaust ports connected to 4 individual exhaust headers allow for less back-pressure for the engine to overcome? Less back pressure means less power lost during the exhaust stroke and therefore more power overall? I dunno. Maybe this line of reasoning is too simplistic. What am i missing?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/exhaust-the-straight-scoop-on-backpressure.168578/

That would be a valid concern if the individual pipes from the 4-1 header could connect directly to each exhaust port on the head, but with the design that is not possible. 9th gens do not have a header. They have a collector. All four exhaust ports open directly into a funneled design which then connects to a single 4" opening on the downpipe. This is dsigned right into the engine block/head itself. To connect a 4-1 header design to this opening would just created flow/turbulence issues.

That would be a valid concern if the individual pipes from the 4-1 header could connect directly to each exhaust port on the head, but with the design that is not possible. 9th gens do not have a header. They have a collector. All four exhaust ports open directly into a funneled design which then connects to a single 4" opening on the downpipe. This is dsigned right into the engine block/head itself. To connect a 4-1 header design to this opening would just created flow/turbulence issues.

2293650306Picture071_small.jpg

From an accord ^^ but you can see how the exhaust is a single port. There is no way someone bolted up a 4 port exhaust header on the 9th gen. The 9th gen looks basically the same as the pic above.

2293650306Picture071_small.jpg

From an accord ^^ but you can see how the exhaust is a single port. There is no way someone bolted up a 4 port exhaust header on the 9th gen. The 9th gen looks basically the same as the pic above.
Well, this drives the point home doesn't it -- thanks Web. Was Honda simply out to cut production costs regardless of performance or was it their attempt to increase low end torque inexpensively? Interesting.
Seems that regardless of their questionable motives they've definitely compromised our efforts to let this engine breathe.

Has to do with emissions and having a catalytic converter as close as possible from what I understand.

Back to the main topic. The E-dyno? How accurate are these. I agree with most, having a full exhaust and intake should create more that a few horses. Anyone have a comparison

E-dynos are pretty accurate as long as you get the weight correct, thats really what would throw them off. And yes an intake and catback will only net you a few hp, to see significant gains you would have to compliment those mods with a downpipe. And even then the significant gain would be around 15 hp at most. And the higher your altitude the lower those numbers go.

The eDYno on flashprotuning reads a bit high as it's a bit of an outdated version of the software which I personally no longer use. The one I personally use takes everything in to account, including your wheel/tire size, to get more accurate #'s.

And yes, 175-180whp with an exhaust is probably accurate, 180-185 with a downpipe (full bolt on is around 190-200) bearing in mind every dyno reads different. Some will read higher, some lower. The eDyno typically matches what my Dynapack puts out locally -- and stock 9th gen's baseline 160-170whp, and make 190-200whp or so with bolt ons tuned.

so basically what im seeing here is that the downpipe and proper intake is the only real mod thats worth the money? i serioulsy cant see a N/A car needing THAT much flow to require more than the stock 2.5 inch piping.... i mean considering the cast in exhaust manifold the only restrictive part i can really see is the nearly 90 degree bend in the poorly designed downpipe and the very slightly restrictive intake
all in all looks like some pretty decent numbers. but lets face it numbers dont count for **** its the butt dyno that REALLY counts.

i serioulsy cant see a N/A car needing THAT much flow to require more than the stock 2.5 inch piping.

Not a matter of need so much as being able to take advantage of it...which the K24 does.

so basically what im seeing here is that the downpipe and proper intake is the only real mod thats worth the money? i serioulsy cant see a N/A car needing THAT much flow to require more than the stock 2.5 inch piping.... i mean considering the cast in exhaust manifold the only restrictive part i can really see is the nearly 90 degree bend in the poorly designed downpipe and the very slightly restrictive intake
all in all looks like some pretty decent numbers. but lets face it numbers dont count for **** its the butt dyno that REALLY counts.
Ill paste my other post in here as its worth repeating.

No intake is going to improve the performance of your engine over the stock air box unless you also replace the intake manifold and throttle body. And you have to tune it, the stock map won't accommodate the increase airflow. Then you will probably have to look at injectors if you now have so much air flow that you can't inject enough fuel.

Then let's not forget about the majorly restrictive downpipe and catalytic converter.

My point is a modern engine is a system. Designed by engineers trying to balance power output and gas mileage. In order to improve the power output you will have to upgrade the entire system. And then you will sacrifice some gas mileage. If all you're doing is buying a cold air intake or short ram and enjoying the sound then you are throwing away your money. Well, that's If your going for power output (not just peak power)

Basically the flow of the system is optimal stock but it can be improved. For example the stock air box isn't a restriction. Until you upgrade the intake manifold and throttle body. The exhaust becomes restrictive after a downpipe upgrade. Bigger piping has shown a benefit with other boltons as well. Up to 3 inch exhaust. But for NA the several 2.75 inch systems will probably support all pur motor is capable of. If you boost the motor then 3 inch will benefit you.

Its all in how everything is set up as a system.

Back