First oil change, what mileage?

Dragos

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
4 Door Sedan
I am contemplating doing an early oil change on my Si and I thought of asking what you guys think about it.

I am currently at 2k Kms, 1.242 Miles and I was wondering if it makes sense for changing the oil now as opposed to waiting another 6k or less as for a regular oil change period. I did push the engine for short periods of time on a daily basis almost for both fun and proper break in reasons.

So what do you guys think, wait or do it now?

It used to be do it early, but it's new wisdom is to leave the oil to complete the break-in. Two things that seem to be in favour of it being left in till 5000m is that Honda recommends waiting till 5000 with the oil they put in it, and the other is the "older/dirtier" oil will help with the scrubbing in on the walls/rings.

It used to be do it early, but it's new wisdom is to leave the oil to complete the break-in. Two things that seem to be in favour of it being left in till 5000m is that Honda recommends waiting till 5000 with the oil they put in it, and the other is the "older/dirtier" oil will help with the scrubbing in on the walls/rings.
That makes sense i did not look at it that way :) They also say the engines are broken in on a bench before they get put in a car but still I am always a bit apprehensive :)

I am just passed 5000miles and my check engine oil blinks from time to time, usually when accelerating hard or turning hard.
I have checked the oil and the level is fine, need to go get an oil change

I am just passed 5000miles and my check engine oil blinks from time to time, usually when accelerating hard or turning hard.
I have checked the oil and the level is fine, need to go get an oil change

1st is 5000 is the recommended miles for the oil change(close enough)........... as far as the oil light it can blink for thing other than low oil, like restricted flow, etc.

Just to clarify the oil level should be checked after 5 min of the engine being turn off, on a level surface.

Back