First time HID buyer, quick question

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
He guys don't worry I've been using the search and got most of my questions answered. I have someone I would like to ask as its my first time buying an HID for my car.

Current set up PIAA high, low, and fog set up. I love the color, brightness out of them.

Looking to buy HID for low and fogs either morimoto, DDM, or xenondepot. I know retrofitting is best and it's now easier and... I get it.

Why I'm thinking of doing HID. My PIAA set up cost me about $200. And when they go out (maybe reach 1.5 years) I don't feel like spending $130 for new bulbs every year to year in a half (lows and fogs). With HID costing as little as $30 - $150 and I can get a good 1.5-4 years out of them (depending on how much I use the lights) I fee financially this is a better option.

I'm read great review on DDM because of cost and it being plug n play. Easy to install with great lighting. Morimoto I hear is great quality but I've seen videos on passenger side not coming on sometimes. Haven't heard much about xenondepot volt.

I'm looking to stick with 35w 4500k for both fogs and lows. My question is:

1-Is there any reason why I should buy one over the other?

2-If you own morimoto, DDM or xenondepot are you happy with your lighting setup and customer service offered?

3-what color temp did you choose and was it what you expected from the company or was it bluer, more purple?

4-assuming installation went well and headlight aim, and feedback from other drivers?

5-if any, what negative would you say about your lighting system (NOT counting "should have done or to do retrofit.

***my reason for retrofit is the price, labor, time, and risk or damaging my car. I read it's simple, even then I don't fee it is an option for me for cost. If I ever were to, I would want the Japan version headligh that they sell replicas at somewhere and have a HID projector. Too much time, money for me I'm not a huge modder as my mods has finished except I want to upgrade my lighting. My PIAA I will install on my wife 2013 civic.

Last edited:
Don't go into buying ddm and expecting a lot of service. There are quite a few bad stories out there about trying to get warranty replacement bulbs and whatnot. You'll be dealing with china, and the kits are shipped from there. Some people have had sets last 3+yrs without issue, and I've seen some have them go in a matter of months,... or dead on arrival. You can buy multiple ddm kits for the price of some of the others though, so some don't care about the warranty or customer service. They just buy another set.

Would you say I may get a better experience/product from morimoto from retrofit sources?

They're at least in the US. I've heard of a few bad experiences, but less issues than getting replies from ddm in china.

Doing my research. Now I'm considering xenondepot Volt HID 4300k. The price is between morimoto and DDM. Anyone have experience to answer these questions regarding xenondepot?

Also does anyone live middle/upper nj and have xenon depot volt for me to see in person. That would be awesome!

Only issue I have is if they end up not working out or if I'm not happy with them, it would cost me restocking fee + shipping to Canada from USA for a return. I read many people end up selling it and losing a lot of money because they will lose that much in returns. For me, I just sold my LED headlight kit I purchased from xenon depot today at 50% of cost because the shipping and restocking would of cost about that much with the extra trip to ship. Not sure who to give my business too.

Reviewing morimoto now. Might be the one. You brought up a good point about U.S and also they have 5 year warranty.

what is there that you may not be happy with?

If they fail the cost to ship them back. If I see they are too bright and not happy with the outcome, the price to ship them back plus restocking fee if any. Also cost of quality set.

At this point I don't think I'll be going with DDM because of dealing with China shipment, possible long wait to get them, possible need to buy new ones.

Xenondepot has the second best price and people seem to like it, but if I have any of these issues, it will cost too much to return and I would have to take a higher loss to resell them (my LED headlight kit)

Morimoto seams like great product and their customer service seems excellent specially for replacement and turn around time, however not sure if the $50 extra justifies for it or not.

Other HID systems are hit or miss. Like different companies, eBay, Amazon HID, inconsistent light output, etc.

I've run several of the morimoto products. They seem pretty high quality. I wouldn't shy away from them at all. I've never had to return anything but TRS is a pretty reputable company.

I have heard hit and miss with DDM and the customer service is terrible. DDM does try to offset that with the cheap price though.

I have not bought a Volt kit from xenon depot but I have bought several other products from them. Those guys are top notch. I think they have a US distribution center. Ive gotten free shipping from them a couple times and no customs taxes or anything.

1-Is there any reason why I should buy one over the other?

DDM is cheap but could last 6 years or 6 months. Then you are on your own. The other two will last you a long time.

2-If you own morimoto, DDM or xenondepot are you happy with your lighting setup and customer service offered?

Morimoto stuff from TRS has been great. I usually order from them due to proximity. Shipping is darn quick for me. I do get stuff from Xenon Depot too. Nothing but good stuff from both of those places.

3-what color temp did you choose and was it what you expected from the company or was it bluer, more purple?

Originally had Philips 85122 D2S bulbs in 4300k as that produces the most useful, visible light. You can definitely tell the difference in quality bulbs and color compared to some. Great bulbs but I wanted something a bit flashier.

Upgraded the wifes car to projectors with 5500k Morimoto bulbs from TRS - accurate temp, great bulbs. I would not hesitate to buy these again.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/morimoto-xb35-d2s-bulbs.html#.VX5DKLp-_u0

I am currently running 5500K Osram Xenarc D2S 66240 CBI bulbs from Xenondepot. These are $200 bulbs.
http://www.xenondepot.com/d2s-cbi-66240-osram-hid-bulb-p/66240cbi.htm

Worth every cent. They are extremely white but have a very nice blue tinge across the top of the cutoff on my projectors. I don't know how they would do on their own as just an HID setup. Insanely good light output and are definitely a step up from the Philips 85122 which is considered one of the best bulbs out there.

4-assuming installation went well and headlight aim, and feedback from other drivers?

eh nothing to add here.

Seriously consider picking up a second set of housings and sending them out to a reputable company to have them retrofitted. It is worth it. I know people talk them up a lot but man, a good set of projectors is unbeatable. Start with the HID kit though. You can always use the same kit, maybe just have to swap bulbs, with any future retrofit you get.

Of everything, just be sure and run a proper wiring harness.

Yeah I feel perhaps in the future I will look into retrofitting but for now HID will do. I don't have projectors. One thing kind of doesn't sit will is when I purchased my LED headlight kit from xenondepot I felt rushed as I just found out about LED technology and their website "coupon" said "offer ends today". I had like 2 hours before it turned midnight and I jumped the gun and made my purchase to take advantage of the deal. Come to realize they had that same sign days, weeks, and I see months later. I don't know. It's cool because it saves customers 15% but the "ends today" is kind of shady. I have the volt in my cart and just saw they have the coupon code and it ends "today". I'll pass and keep researching.

Since I heard the glare may be a bit much for HID in fogs I'll think about that later as I love how our fogs offer a wide area lighting. Def. compliments the lows. I don't like two times color though (yellow and white).

I'll contact TRS tomorrow and see how their policy is and might end up buying it tomorrow.

The volt from xenondepot looks good and price as well but the service my friend got, plus the return pricing, plus that "today" sale end just leaves a bad tast. On a flip side their LED headlight did look like a quality product.

I'll post up to let you guys know what I decided. Pictures would be awesome if anyone has morimoto on their 9th gen.

Hey man =] you might want to consider a kit from diodedynamics. My roommate has one in his Kia Forte koup and it's been great for a year now! Amazing customer service I've bought a lot of stuff from them

Ok decided what I will do. I figure if I'm going to do this, i want to do it the right way. For now i'm REALLY happy with my PIAA setup. I like the color and lighting.

I will save some funds and when I have enough ready, I will do a retrofit. Depending on how wide the projectors will light up the road, I may use my Nokya yellow fogs as I really like them, however i use the PIAA extreme white to cover the sides that the low beams miss.

There is a place in NJ (lightwerkz) that does retrofitting, however $1,150 is a bit much. I may do the option of buying a pair and trying it out on that myself and then maybe meet with a member to guide me with removing my bumper and installing it.

Thanks everyone, i'll look forward to it, and I'll keep you posted!

PS, just want to make sure, TRS rep online told to get the H1 bi-xenon morimoto. I'm asked if that changes my bulb to H1 and he said yes. I wonder why not keep a setup that keeps a 9006.
This is what he recommended.

Do you guys think this is all I need? BTW i want to go with TRS. I just want to see what I need to buy and at least I might buy this soon and then keep my eye out for the stock headlight sale.

(lightwerkz) that does retrofitting, however $1,150 is a bit much
what projectors and parts did he use to quote you that price?

The mini h1's are the easiest projectors to retrofit. They have a screw that tightens the projector into the stock headlight housing. To get them to fit in almost any headlight hole, the h1 bulb is used. It requires no cutting, unless you choose to do extra modifications for some reason. There are 3 diy's for mini h1's in the diy area here.

"Thanks for contacting us.

The full conversions are about $1,100.

The marmot HID system is $150, and the on site installation is up to $150 (typically 1-1.5 hours to install systems at $100/hr"

That was the email. I'll look into mini h1's and plan on this project.

I know I'm late to the party but I figure I'll through my experience in.

1. I went with morimoto from TRS and love it, I could tell it was high quality materials and build.

2. Customer service was good, good communication and very fast shipping.

3. I went with 5500k 35w bulbs and the color was perfect, it matches my LED lights perfectly. Looking back, I would've went with the 55w option instead, shorter bulb life but I would've appreciated the extra brightness.

Your input really helped! I'm happy I made my choice with choosing TRS. A lot of people have great feedback for them. 55w is something I will consider as they will be projected.

What do you have for fogs? HID's or halogen?

I put CREE LEDs in my fogs, I know they're not as bright as regular bulbs but they're much brighter than regular LEDs and had the color I was looking for.

Back