Flights 97 Ex build thread

Yeah its been running for the last 8 months. just had a few large hiccups along the way. Basically where i'm sitting now I need a final tune and then I need to invest in a tranny with a lsd, coilovers, and some seat time to be competitive at the local auto cross.

Reactions: Nix
So got my exhaust finished and put back on this morning. Below are some pictures of after all the work was completed.

IMG_0493a.jpg

Not as clean as it could have been if i wanted to spend more time on it, but still 100x better than it was before.

IMG_0494a.jpg

And a shot of my disgustingly dirty engine bay. You can see the supercharger peeking out from the back of the bay. The untrained eye would never know...

IMG_0495a.jpg

An just for proof here's a short video of the car running. Don't mind the crappy audio and poor video quality. Maybe if I stop being lazy i will upload some gopro video of driving the car around.

Reactions: Nix
No real updates to offer currently. Recently I've been running into an issue where the s300 isn't logging data correctly under full load and full boost situations. It cuts out and then back in again once rpms and boost drops. Having contacted Hondata they seem to think I need to swap out my spark plugs. I threw a fresh set in this afternoon but the weather isn't going to cooperate with me and allow me to go pull some full throttle runs up and down the street. If anyone has any experience with this or general input i would appreciate it.

So its been a while since I've updated this. Run into a couple simple/major issues over the last month and a half.

I found out that the clutch was slipping something major. I had a suspicion that it was slipping under high load applications, but my GoPro and the good old fashion driveway test helped me confirm.

I also found out that the passenger side e brake cable is seized which is probably why Ive been having pulsating coming from my brakes. I'm mad it took me this long to figure out that it was the issue. I literally replaced every piece of the rear brake system trying to isolate the issue and just happened to stumble onto my answer while fiddling with the center console. I'm waiting for a warmer day to see if i can get under there and free it up, or if it would just be easier to pony up the $30 and put a new cable in.

On the side of progress i did get and install a new larger bore throttle body. The original D16Y8 throttle body is 56mm so i searched around and found a TB off an Integra GSR with a 60mm opening. I know i could have gone bigger, but for a drop on application this matched up exactly to the size of the opening in the intake s-tube so I didn't have to bust out the dremel to port match anything. A little cleaning and a new gasket and it just bolted right on.

IMG_0590[1].JPG IMG_0591[1].JPG IMG_0592[1].JPG

In other news I just broke 4k on the Si!

I predict B or K swap in the future.;) I love 1990's Honda builds.:corona::popcornbig:

Sometimes I wish I went B swap for the simplicity at this point, but I'm determined to make something out of the single cam. It would be so much easier if I didn't have to worry about having to pass emissions every 2 years. I'm contemplating just picking up a spare stock D16y8 and when it comes time to run it through doing a quick swap back to stock. I can get an engine from a yard for about $300 and can have it in in about 2 hours.

The debate is if that will be easier than the headache of swapping back to the stock ecu, trying to bypass the blower so the map doesn't see boost, and running extra rich because of the lowered compression and larger injectors on the stock ecu. In the process I somehow misplaced my stock manifold and injectors and am to cheap to go find another set just for 1 day every 2 years.

So i got some goods for the project for Christmas, and started to install them today.

IMG_0043a.jpg

I decided I might as well clean things up while i was fiddling around down there, so i broke out some spare caliper paint I had and started coating the other suspension parts.

IMG_0041a.jpg IMG_0042a.jpg

I likes the results. Full photo of the car to come once I have time to install the other 3 coil overs and do some leveling.

There more grabby, but there also paired with a set of ebc red stuff pads. Combined I think they stop well for autocross. I'm curios how they will hold up on a track with repeated and prolonged abuse.

Made a little more progress on the suspension install today on an "extended" lunch break.

a8a51299df61ad1b57445d44a65eab9c.jpg
7fc8fa6757fc4c64b517157460fae46e.jpg
0aca569fa9c46afa4a2bb1a2247adbd3.jpg

I'm looking to break 200 to the wheels. Everyone says that's about the limit of this particular supercharger so I'm going to see just how close I can get. I'm also mulling around the idea of doing a twincharging setup or switching to the new kraftwerks supercharger since that one can be intercooled and run more boost.

Back