Flip Key Thread for 9th Gen

If you don't do this mod you should be OK. Everything is encased pretty well. With this mod, there are two exposed wire connections. I think I'll hit them with "Liquid Tape." It's basically brushable plastidip, instead of electrical tape.

Last edited:
It actually doesn't require power, it's wired into the board simply because they can have more copper and thus a bigger antenna for it

My apologies, I was thinking of an electric coupled transponder. Ignition doesnt use power at the expense of performance like ethlar said.

Last edited by a moderator:
ethlar:
Was there a spring in the swivel assembly? Mine shot apart before I could note all the parts. I have been hunting down a spring that I imagine must have gone inside that button assembly. You don't happen to have a picture of it do you?

One other setback. The copper trace came off the board with the transponder on one side, trying to go quickly and not overheat the chip next to it :banghead: .

There is a spring that goes in the swivel, I don't have a picture of it but if it helps its only a couple loops in a coil

Last edited:
^^^ Thanks. Tore up the room, found the spring, ground the board down to expose some new trace, soldered the wire to the exposed area, back in business.

Finished. Looks great. Key works great in door and ignition. Remote works properly from far away. Problem . . . The ignition will not read the transponder . . . doesn't matter if wired or not. Car starts and shuts down with flashing green key logo.

So, the long and short of it is this: Designing a flip key that forces the buyer to tear into the fragile circuit board to wire up and move the transponder is just not a good product. That's my take, and granted my own mistake by tearing the trace is a good part of the result, but that was some very flimsy trace. Until someone offers one with a different design, I won't be doing this again. YMMV.

Flip Closed.jpg

Flip OPen.jpg

Some of the Honda keys have a separate transponder chip stuffed into the key. Where did you put your transponder in the key, I did some experimenting and found that it was very position sensitive, like it would work fine on one side of the rotating bit but not the other

Last edited:
Some of the Honda keys have a separate transponder chip stuffed into the key. Where did you put your transponder in the key, I did some experimenting and found that it was very position sensitive, like it would work fine on one side of the rotating bit but not the other

I tried to put it in the same place as the real key: You can see it to the right of the key blade.

Flip Guts.jpg

Last edited:
ethlar: Did you have your transponder stuffed into the top piece that I have removed here?

I did but I wedged it in as far forward and next to the rotating part as possible

I'm experimenting with location now. Do you use yours as your daily driver key?

I do, I used a separate transponder in my current key though, no soldering, I have something that looks more like the transponder from a valet key in my flip key

I do, I used a separate transponder in my current key though, no soldering, I have something that looks more like the transponder from a valet key in my flip key
Since my transponder from one of my two remote keys is now permanently lost in the bowels of my car,* did you use the no power transponder from your oem valet key? If you got one from somewhere lese, did you have to have it programmed at Honda? If I want two working remote keys, I need to do something. Thanks.

* I took the transponder out of the flip key and was experimenting with placings that might catch the ignition just right. It fell onto the inside edge of the brake release boot, then was gone.

Last edited:
I managed to find a local locksmith who actually had a generic HDS like system that could do Honda key programming, he happened to have a spare transponder like the one in a valet key he sold me and we programmed both the transponder and the remote.

Its very hit or miss if a 3rd party can cut and program the key, but if you can find someone who can it will probably be cheaper than the dealer. Not all dealers agree on pricing though, some are as cheap as $20 and others want $120 or more

My dealer wants $52 to program a key. They cut the key for free. They say they need me to leave the car and all of the remaining keys, including valet with them, in order to do it. Does that make sense? I don't want everything re-programmed. I just want a new 4 button key that I bought programmed. . . .:pat:

I don't know about them leaving the other keys... don't think I've heard others say that. I have seen users get quotes of up to 100 or something to have their key cut/programmed.

My dealer wants $52 to program a key. They cut the key for free. They say they need me to leave the car and all of the remaining keys, including valet with them, in order to do it. Does that make sense? I don't want everything re-programmed. I just want a new 4 button key that I bought programmed. . . .:pat:

depending on the programming method they use, yes its necessary. For whatever reason not all dealer techs or whoever goes out to your car with the HDS tablet get educated in the add key mode, so they go for the default wipe immobilizer and reprogram all keys. So if you forget one key and do this that key would physically turn locks on your car but remote and immobilizer would no longer work

I've got the same key that I use daily for my 8th. I had taken apart all my OEM keys (including the valet), and kept breaking the transponder (except the valet). My dumb *** got lucky. I put the valet transponder in the top of the flip key, and was able to drive the car, but guess what? Since that transponder's not connected to the circuit board...none of the buttons worked. :pat: My mechanic had sold his 8th, but still had a key. He reprogrammed it for my car, I transferred the circuit board to the flip key, and it's worked beautifully ever since (probably because it has two transponders in it). :rotfl:

I've got the same key that I use daily for my 8th. I had taken apart all my OEM keys (including the valet), and kept breaking the transponder (except the valet). My dumb *** got lucky. I put the valet transponder in the top of the flip key, and was able to drive the car, but guess what? Since that transponder's not connected to the circuit board...none of the buttons worked. :pat: My mechanic had sold his 8th, but still had a key. He reprogrammed it for my car, I transferred the circuit board to the flip key, and it's worked beautifully ever since (probably because it has two transponders in it). :rotfl:
Amazing how quickly a cool idea turns into a saga, isn't it?:eek:

Back