General Altimax Arctic review

CivicCanuck

North
Vehicle Model
Civic
DSCN1879.JPG
After living with these tires for a while I figured I would write up a mini-review. We have more than a few inches of snow now, and every morning I have to punch through the wind row left by the sidewalk plow, as well as from when the street was plowed. Never have I felt that I wasn't going to make it, it's like a 4x4 in the snow.

I ordered these tires studded, although I am not sure I will do so again, as the amount of times that studs are actually needed, are few and far between, and the downside is a big increase in noise, more noticeable at lower speeds in the city.

These tires are soft.... very soft. Driving fairly spirited in cold weather resulted in a hot rubber smell when I got to work. As far as wear goes, I have around 2000 kms on them with negligable wear. The tires self clean easily, and give very good traction cornering and braking. I have experimented with the traction control on, and I have to say that I am not a fan, as it is overly sensitive.

That's my 2 cents on these tires. Would I buy them again, yes, I would. Would I stud them.... that would depend on how much in town driving I am going to be doing. The traction on dry pavement is reduced with the studs.

I've never driven on winter tires with studs so I can't really give much personal feedback. I do know that what you've experienced with the dry driving environment/stopping distance is what they usually report though. Looks like a great tire though.

Nice write up. Thanks. :wavey:

Last time I drove studded tires was on my 1974 Dodge Monaco... yeah I'm that old.

They were mandatory on rear drive cars in those days -- for the PA winters we used to get. Even then, the studs would wear down, or eventually get ejected from the tire. Maybe they're better today.

I would be more inclined to just get good winter tires, then put on cable chains when the weather gets really nasty. The cable chains are fairly easy to put on, and can come off in less than a minute. They've worked pretty well for me, and can last for many, many years if used, and cared for properly.

Nice write up. Thanks. :wavey:

Last time I drove studded tires was on my 1974 Dodge Monaco... yeah I'm that old.

They were mandatory on rear drive cars in those days -- for the PA winters we used to get. Even then, the studs would wear down, or eventually get ejected from the tire. Maybe they're better today.

I would be more inclined to just get good winter tires, then put on cable chains when the weather gets really nasty. The cable chains are fairly easy to put on, and can come off in less than a minute. They've worked pretty well for me, and can last for many, many years if used, and cared for properly.

I drove studded tires years ago on parents' vehicles, but never on chains. IIRC, there was a worry about throwing a chain and chewing up your wheel well, and/or tire. Have chains improved to the point that the problem is no more?

If they're good quality, well designed, installed correctly, and not driven on dry pavement, they will last for years without any issues. Good ones are made by Thule & SCC.

My brother has the Thule tire chains for his RX-8. :rotfl:

He hasn't used it yet since snow hasn't been big.

It was near rain today, on top of about 3 1/2 inches of fresh snow, and I didn't have a problem at all with traction, was almost like slush, but a bit stiffer in consistency. The car never spun a wheel, although I could have easily done so. I know that with the stock all seasons I would have been stuck today for sure.

The sipes really help out, as does the open side slots on this tire, just check out the pictures I took from this afternoon. If the tire were any more aggressive, it would displace snow more, but there are a lot of times where that doesn't help you. Packing the snow, instead of acting like a paddle is a far more efficient way of creating forward traction.

From that last picture, it looks like I may have to drop the pressure slightly, as the siping is more noticeable in the center of the tread.
2012-12-16 16.33.11.jpg2012-12-16 16.34.43.jpg2012-12-16 16.34.50.jpg

wet packing snowman making snow... Those tread marks in the snow are quite impressive. Talk about bite

Canada right? Your profile says "North" but I see you typed kms in 1st post.

Brrrr... It makes me cold thinking about it. I will take my 50F foggy/rainy weather here in Maryland :giggle:

March 25th 2013 follow up:

Just stopped and had the engine oil dumped, was at 20% oil life today. The dealer's quick lube shop checked tread depth on all 4 tires and noted the pressures were down a bit.... I haven't checked them in a few months. Soon time to install the stock all seasons, was going to do it this weekend, but had other things to do on Sunday, and had to work on Saturday.

Front left and front right measure 11/32", they come with 12/32" over the wear bar. ( 14/32 if you don't measure at the wear bar )
Right rear had 13/32" remaining, and the left rear had 12/32".

Actual mileage on the tires is about 7466 kms, I put them on around 670 kms. I have driven some highway miles at higher speeds early on in the winter, as well as I drive fairly hard in the city. From the looks of it, if I rotate them once during the winter, and keep an eye on the pressures I might get 3 seasons out of them the way I drive.

The studs are still fairly sharp as well, this is surprising.

Last edited:
that's really great to be down just 1/32. That's roughly 4700 miles of winter driving

that's really great to be down just 1/32. That's roughly 4700 miles of winter driving

Not too bad at all, I should measure what my brother Bill has on his set, he's got somewhere in the neighborhood of 22,000 kms of mostly all high speed highway driving on his set, he drives 225 kms 5 days a week for work.

Been running these tires for years and I love them.. The only I spun or even got stuck is when the snow was higher than my rocker panel and I high centered, and I don't use studs..... These tires are soft thou and I have almost gotten into trouble a few times, and I would buy them again but I haven't seen enough snow to justify them...

Im going studless. I cant wait to try these out.
IMG_2543_zpsf5ed4e8f.jpg

I just ordered these in a 205/50/17 for my Si couple, they're getting put on Thursday. I'll report back with a review. We've gotten pounded with snow in the last week and are supposed to get another 8-12" tonight.

Back